The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Just now, ghents shtick_182 said:

I realized that but even they are like wtf do we do with this. 

Also, Losing My Mind and all the singles are still on there and calling it an album though.

/In before ThAtS NoT EvEn HoW SpOtIfY WoRkS comments.

I think it's just a Spotify thing, I've seen them do similar and even weirder shit to other bands and music.

Tom's biggest strength and weakness is his unwillingness to let anyone else tell him what to do or reel him in.  It shows in being the ballsy part of blink music, but also his over indulgent nonsense like deep cut AvA shit where he's yodeling into a space effect.

Marks biggest weakness is he needs someone like Tom to get his confidence up or inability to second guess everything.  He has such a conservative approach with anything that comes to blink.  Feels like I'm watching politics sometimes seeing their current live performance.  His biggest strength is this reigns Tom in...

Matt is way out of place and needs to be fully independent to operate and make any sense.  What he's doing right now goes against everything that is him in every facet.

Travis is just talented and allows (allowed) Mark & Tom to do the work/make the decisions.

Scott got drunk.

Feldmann is not God.

Jerry Finn was.

There you go.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

kinda wish they put all that's left is love on the album instead of no more guns. i don't even like the song but at least it fits the sound of the rest of the album. 

but yeah. i like the rest of the album a lot and appreciate the new masters of rebel girls and kiss & tell as well. i don't have any issues with the mixing either. 

maybe i got ahead of myself saying it like it more than wdntw but i definitely prefer the vibe more than the floating over the trees nonsense.

Oh shit, new masters for RG/K&T, or new mixes?

The time has finally come, the album is here and here’s some thoughts from a tombot that think the love era was their best and has love pt2 as their favorite AVA album:

1: timebomb: Wasn’t what I expected at all after all the hype, took me a while to get into but when the last chorus started I was digging it, feels like it could be a grower, but their weakest album opener to date.

2: euphoria: With a longer build up in the intro this would have worked better as the opener than timebomb. For sure different than their older stuff, but I like this.

3: spellbound: I totally love this one, good chorus and Tom sounds great in it. This feels like they fully mastered what they were trying to do with a lot of songs on Dreamwalker.

4: no more guns: Tom goes The Strokes, love it! Too bad the chorus wasn’t stronger though, or the verses, it becomes a bit anticlimactic after the intro and I’m waiting for something that never comes. All that’s left is love should have have been here instead of this one.

5: losing my mind: love this, chorus is the most “ava” they’ve sounded in years. Drums even sounds Atom-y.

6: automatic: I like this one, will be a grower for sure. Verses is better than the chorus but that doesn’t mean that I think the chorus is bad, but it could be stronger.

7: restless souls: I like this one, it sounds too dead in the first pre chorus, that’s really bugging me. Other than that I really like this song.

8: rebel girl: I don’t have to say that much about this one. I like this song very much, sounds like they’ve taken an unreleased cut from love pt2 minus the synths. 

9: a fire in a nameless town: the chorus is stronger than the verses, which doesn’t say much as the verses are really weak. Maybe it could grow a bit? I don’t think it will though, this albums breath.

10: kiss & tell: I wasn’t too keen for this one when it got released but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it now.

Overall thoughts:

Tom sounds better vocally on this album than he did on dreamwalker, feels like dreamwalker was a stronger record though, but I have only done one full listen-through on this album and judging how much dreamwalker grew on me over time many of the songs on this album could do so as well. 

Spellbound are my favorite after the first listening session and I had to go back to it and listen a couple of more times, I also went back to timebomb and it was a lot better the second time, which gives me hope for the rest of the albums in growing potential. Great to have them back as a functioning band again, and the production was pretty good too, better on some tracks than others though for sure.

50 minutes ago, ghents shtick_182 said:

Even Spotify is confused by Tom, it has Timebomb as latest album, with 7 songs on it. Unless that is what they are just doing with his single single single situation. But they are calling that an album?

Confused with Rise, you mean?

20 minutes ago, ghents shtick_182 said:

over indulgent nonsense like deep cut AvA shit where he's yodeling into a space effect.

I had to address this as it gets me triggered in all sorts of ways. What is yodeling, and what is this space effect you’re talking about. Would you be so kind to show two examples where he’s “yodeling” into this space effect?

45 minutes ago, ghents shtick_182 said:

I realized that but even they are like wtf do we do with this. 

Also, Losing My Mind and all the singles are still on there and calling it an album though.

/In before ThAtS NoT EvEn HoW SpOtIfY WoRkS comments.

That is just how Spotify works since the singles get released with the same ISRC codes as the ones that would get released later on in the album, and because those ISRC codes already belongs the the same UPC code (the albums) spotifys algorithm recognizes that they belong together and it get bundled as an EP, it gets corrected once the album is fully released. Apple Music as an example, doesn’t work like that and shows the full album with the unreleased tracks greyd out instead.

Theres parts of this album that is definitley better than post Tom blink but it stills feels soulless at time. Tho I will say Automatic is better than NINE.

I swear all we ever gotten out of the blink camp was a few exceptional songs from each band post Tom, while Matt Skiba is shining and putting all of his energy into Alkaline Trio (ITTC?). I just want the next blink album to be Mark, Matt and Travis with themselves and creating an Alkaline-182 album.

14 hours ago, ghents shtick_182 said:

Classic Tom.  Rebel Girl and Kiss & Tell feel like such bonus tracks at this point to be added to a new album.  I'm not that picky but it totally has been the longest release for an average album ever.

I know. I could listen to Rebel Girl and Kiss & Tell 10 times in one day every day and I still wouldn't get bored, but I knew this album wasn't gonna live up to the expectations set with these two songs. 

• Like 1

i liked all the songs that were pre-released enough to be a fan of this album. not their best but a very solid album. No more guns is absolutely terrible, automatic is great and  a fire in a nameless town is awesome

Euphoria is still the best track of the bunch.

No more guns is a pile of crap

ilan and Aaron are the best thing that could've happened to tom. The dream walker is still my favorite AvA album though.

I hope we get another Ava album at some point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Neal said:

i liked all the songs that were pre-released enough to be a fan of this album. not their best but a very solid album. No more guns is absolutely terrible, automatic is great and  a fire in a nameless town is awesome

Euphoria is still the best track of the bunch.

No more guns is a pile of crap

ilan and Aaron are the best thing that could've happened to tom. The dream walker is still my favorite AvA album though.

I hope we get another Ava album at some point.

You forgot to give your opinion on no more guns 

• Love 1