The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Using a break in my day to give it a spin.

On Timebomb... this song is a festering turd, fair play. Proper cheese. I like the fun instrumentation of it but it reeks of old AVA vibes and Tom's awful lyrics really don't help. 

HEY THERE LIL SAD GUUURL

I REALLY WANNA HOLD YAAA

YOUR HART IS LUIKE A DIEMONDDDDDD

fucking abysmal haha

No More Guns is... confusing.

I get the Green Day comparisons but it sounds more like Tom trying to replicate older tamer punk like the ramones or some shit, more with the 'oh ohs' (not successfully, obviously). 

Idk it's not my style, and seems a little odd, but nowhere near as bad as Timebomb and it's fun I guess? I would say it doesn't suit him but his voice sounds better on it than some of the others.

I kind of appreciate the fact that, unlike old AvA albums, it doesn't sound all the fucking same. I appreciate them trying to differentiate a bit, even if it doesn't always work. 

That being said, I'm halfway through. 

• Like 2

Alright, album as a full - 

1. Timebomb | 2/10 | terrible. Sounds like older, bad AVA to me.

2. Euphoria | 8/10 | I love it. It's a grower but every time I listen to it, I love it. the 4 hit rhythm parts are wonderfully cathartic. lyrics aren't terrible, chorus slaps. love it all.

3. Spellbound | 7/10 | Love it too, has a mood to it I appreciate, slight dark wave feel. Some lame lyrics and the chorus takes time to grow on you but overall I'm a fan. Tom needs lower vocal range stuff more.

4. No More Guns | 4 / 10 | I don't hate it. It's not really for me but it's kind of fun to hear it from Tom and seems to suit his voice more. Probably not one I'll revisit often. 

5. Losing My Mind | 6/10 | I'm not hot on this one because I don't like the chorus but I do like that it's a little different and the verses/pre choruses are quite fun and again, lovin' lower voice Tom.

6. Automatic | 6 / 10 | It's interesting, some very clear The Cure feels. Not the most exciting song but kind of nice, although Tom's voice kind of ruins it.

7. Restless Souls | 5/10 | This one is better than I remember. If you just ignore the chorus, it's pretty solid. The chorus really lets it down and just sounds like old AVA to me, but the verses are quite interesting. 

8. Rebel Girl | 3/10 | Die in a fire. Seriously, This song doesn't improve with age. Stupid lyrics, bad vocals, stupid little synth lead part. just no. 

9. A Fire In A Nameless Town | 7/10 | Has similar Spellbound vibes, like a slight 80s feel that I appreciate. I actually love Tom's voice on this one and the harmonies are really interesting. 

10. Kiss and Tell | 8/10 | Still love it, tied with Euphoria for best for me. just works. 

Overall, better than I expected. I like that it embraces the metallic electronica feel more than just plastering wide synths on everything like old AVA used to.

I thought as an album it'd sound kind of all over the place but actually it's kind of cohesive. 

My biggest issue is Tom's terrible lyrics and some tired old school AVA nods here and there that don't add anything. 

It's not something I'd seek out normally but I appreciate what they've done and I enjoy it. I just wish we hadn't heard most of it before release.

I'd give it overall a 6.5/10 I'd say. Not an amazing record where all tracks need spinning but there's some good gems on here.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Kay said:

No More Guns is... confusing.

I get the Green Day comparisons but it sounds more like Tom trying to replicate older tamer punk like the ramones or some shit, more with the 'oh ohs' (not successfully, obviously). 

Idk it's not my style, and seems a little odd, but nowhere near as bad as Timebomb and it's fun I guess? I would say it doesn't suit him but his voice sounds better on it than some of the others.

I kind of appreciate the fact that, unlike old AvA albums, it doesn't sound all the fucking same. I appreciate them trying to differentiate a bit, even if it doesn't always work. 

That being said, I'm halfway through. 

Being a Ramones fanatic I don't hear any similarities or an attempt at sounding like them or any other older punk band. It definitely sounds like new age Green Day though ... a little Adam and the Ants too.

Just now, Speedo said:

Being a Ramones fanatic I don't hear any similarities or an attempt at sounding like them or any other older punk band. It definitely sounds like new age Green Day though ... a little Adam and the Ants too.

Yeah I didn't think I meant Ramones either, but there's something about the ohohs that sounds really familiar and not GD. 

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yeah I didn't think I meant Ramones either, but there's something about the ohohs that sounds really familiar and not GD. 

That was the Adam and the Ants influence I was referring to, at least that's what I hear. The 80's influence on Kiss and Tell and Automatic and the fact that Ghost on the Dance Floor was once in the vein of Goody Two Shoes makes me think that's what he's going for with it.

• Like 1

That opener is disappointing - I keep forgetting it's there

Automatic was a surprising little tune - it's neat Cure worship - could have fit on Neighborhoods (it would suit Mark's voice).

Everything else is fairly inoffensive with Euphoria and Kiss & Tell being the standouts. It sounds like Tom is having fun here. I wonder if I like modern Angels more than modern blink because Tom having fun sounds more authentic? The "fun" of Nine and California sounds calculated and insincere. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, yodda said:

That opener is disappointing - I keep forgetting it's there

Automatic was a surprising little tune - it's neat Cure worship - could have fit on Neighborhoods (it would suit Mark's voice).

Everything else is fairly inoffensive with Euphoria and Kiss & Tell being the standouts. It sounds like Tom is having fun here. I wonder if I like modern Angels more than modern blink because Tom having fun sounds more authentic? The "fun" of Nine and California sounds calculated and insincere. 

Disappointing af. Their weakest opener to date imo, however, the song is growing on me but as an opener it falls short. 

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Using a break in my day to give it a spin.

On Timebomb... this song is a festering turd, fair play. Proper cheese. I like the fun instrumentation of it but it reeks of old AVA vibes and Tom's awful lyrics really don't help. 

HEY THERE LIL SAD GUUURL

I REALLY WANNA HOLD YAAA

YOUR HART IS LUIKE A DIEMONDDDDDD

fucking abysmal haha

"Your heart is like a timebomb."

The lyrics are fine, pretty on par for Tom. It's not like he's ever been particularly brilliant lyrically. 

33 minutes ago, Speedo said:

"Your heart is like a timebomb."

The lyrics are fine, pretty on par for Tom. It's not like he's ever been particularly brilliant lyrically. 

I swore blind that was diamond hahaha wow that's even worse. 

Tom having bad lyrics in the past doesn't excuse bad lyrics in the present. He should do better.