The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

4 minutes ago, NotNow said:

If this is home is your favorite blink song, do you not like automatic?

yeah I think it's okay.  It also steals from the Cure too much but it's one of the songs that's decent.  I like Rebel Girl, NMG is the best Tom's voice has sounded in awhile but the rest of it is just cringe sounding synths and more bad lyrics. 

I love WDNTW and I-Empire is pretty damn good.  I even like some songs off of Love 1&2 for what they are, but IMO everything since Rubin has been awful and just Tom phoning his lyrics and vocals in even over instrumentation that he'd never write on his own.

• Like 1

Was just going to say it sounds like the Cure and instrumentally it's good. But it's not catchy and his voice sounds absolutely terrible on it. He sounds like he is "special ed," (no offense to the special ed posters here, I'm trying to keep it PC).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ghents shtick_182 said:

What is so good about Automatic exactly?

It's just like a random Cure AvA song with no punch.  The post chorus is cool I guess?  It's one of those boring Ava songs to me.

I guess I like it because it isn't some kind of daft punk song like half of this album seems to be.

3 hours ago, yodda said:

That opener is disappointing - I keep forgetting it's there

Automatic was a surprising little tune - it's neat Cure worship - could have fit on Neighborhoods (it would suit Mark's voice).

Everything else is fairly inoffensive with Euphoria and Kiss & Tell being the standouts. It sounds like Tom is having fun here. I wonder if I like modern Angels more than modern blink because Tom having fun sounds more authentic? The "fun" of Nine and California sounds calculated and insincere. 

Great analysis. Exactly how I see it too.

Imagining Automatic with Mark's voice really does work though.

54 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

yeah I think it's okay.  It also steals from the Cure too much but it's one of the songs that's decent.  I like Rebel Girl, NMG is the best Tom's voice has sounded in awhile but the rest of it is just cringe sounding synths and more bad lyrics. 

I love WDNTW and I-Empire is pretty damn good.  I even like some songs off of Love 1&2 for what they are, but IMO everything since Rubin has been awful and just Tom phoning his lyrics and vocals in even over instrumentation that he'd never write on his own.

Did Ghent just accidentally post on his sock account ?!?

• Wow 1