The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I have legit listened to Losing My Mind maybe 60 times since it came out, the EP is worth it for that tune alone.

saying that - I also can’t be arsed to listen to the full thing. I tried automatic on my break at work and thought ‘ Ah…The Cure’ - then I got distracted by some fruit I was buying. 

Inconsistent Tom Bottery

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Solid album overall.  I mean, Nine is still by far a better album, but this kicks California's ass, as well as Dreamwalker's.  Very happy with the latest output of both parties here.    I would argue this might be the best Angels and Airwaves album, or at lest their best album since I-Empire.

Guys, as shit as I-Empire was, if any of those songs came out today, we'd be jumping up and down.  Tom tries, but everyone in blink camp are shells of shells of their former selves (except randomly on features they come through a bit better).

Like Cali, Nine, this, let's be honest.  It's nice to have something but it's actually a bit sad how much bands like blink and green day have actually dipped.  It's hard when there's just no real angst anymore, Tom is really the only one trying new horizons, but those horizons are..space, U2 and the Cure, etc. And his voice is shot. I want to give him credit for keeping it real, but it's also crazy.

Travis has the whole veteran father thing for the new kids but that's about where we're at now.  

Time to just get on the Kenny Hoopla train.

• Like 2

I don’t see how Tom is “trying new horizons” here…If anything, he dialed back a bit and let others keep him in check, which is good.. But there’s nothing groundbreaking. I think it’s a step in a positive direction because he didn’t care that much, honestly. 

Seems like when he tries to go extra is when he fails.

Bottom line is that AVA is spent. Has been for ages. There are good songs here and there, but it’s time for this “band” to go away. It hasn’t felt like a real band since like 2008. Let it go and do something fresh and authentic

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I don’t see how Tom is “trying new horizons” here…If anything, he dialed back a bit and let others keep him in check, which is good.. But there’s nothing groundbreaking. I think it’s a step in a positive direction because he didn’t care that much, honestly. 

Seems like when he tries to go extra is when he fails.

Bottom line is that AVA is spent. Has been for ages. There are good songs here and there, but it’s time for this “band” to go away. It hasn’t felt like a real band since like 2008. Let it go and do something fresh and authentic

Yeah, I wouldn't say Tom is doing anything crazy here, it does feel very tuned in to a specific sound he has explored before, but just more focused within it.  And honestly I think it's a good move, it's a solid sound to explore more deeply.  He's not gonna blow anyone's mind with this album, but if you like one song, you'll probably find a few songs here to enjoy, I think. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, I wouldn't say Tom is doing anything crazy here, it does feel very tuned in to a specific sound he has explored before, but just more focused within it.  And honestly I think it's a good move, it's a solid sound to explore more deeply.  He's not gonna blow anyone's mind with this album, but if you like one song, you'll probably find a few songs here to enjoy, I think. 

A step in the right direction for him, for sure. But is it really an “AVA” album? The waters have been muddied. It’s clear that when he defers to other collaborators it improves the quality of his music..but I’m not sure why he couldn’t do the same thing with, you know, blink-182? The band he started and owes everything to?

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

I’ve listened to this a few times now and musically it’s actually pretty good and probably one of the most diverse albums Tom has ever done. It doesn’t always hit the mark and it’s all over the place at times but the high points are actually really good.

Lyrically though, it’s painful. We all probably used to listen to blink because we liked the lyrics more than the more pure pop music that was in the charts but compare this to the lyrics on Billie Eilish’s or Lana Del Rey’s new record and it’s night and day. 

Overall I’d give it a 5/10. I’m still on the fence about getting a ticket when they tour the UK in March.

1 hour ago, Rickay said:

I’ve listened to this a few times now and musically it’s actually pretty good and probably one of the most diverse albums Tom has ever done. It doesn’t always hit the mark and it’s all over the place at times but the high points are actually really good.

Lyrically though, it’s painful. We all probably used to listen to blink because we liked the lyrics more than the more pure pop music that was in the charts but compare this to the lyrics on Billie Eilish’s or Lana Del Rey’s new record and it’s night and day. 

Overall I’d give it a 5/10. I’m still on the fence about getting a ticket when they tour the UK in March.

Toms lyrics have always been painful but with AVA it's more glaring because it's more "serious" and therefore more cringey.

I would love to see them next year but have no friends who like them lol

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Bottom line is that blink is spent. Has been for ages. There are good songs here and there, but it’s time for this “band” to go away. It hasn’t felt like a real band since like 2011. Let it go and do something fresh and authentic

Fixed this for. Agreed on both though. I can't believe AvA is still a band lol.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

Now that I've listened to the album 3 times, I gotta say that it flows really well and I am enjoying it so much. Maybe I'll change my mind after a week, as I did with California and Nine, but it's a nice album to have in the background. Am I becoming a Tombot??? 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ghent said:

It’s clear that when he defers to other collaborators it improves the quality of his music..but I’m not sure why he couldn’t do the same thing with, you know, blink-182? The band he started and owes everything to?

Yeah, it's almost like the problem was elsewhere, he doesn't seem to have any issues with collaborating..

His vocal delivery on that song is quite disappointing. This album is weird for his voice, some surprisingly good moments, some terrible ones, wondering if the stop and start method of recording it meant we got a really weird mix of performances from him.

• Like 2