The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

11 minutes ago, Kay said:

His vocal delivery on that song is quite disappointing. This album is weird for his voice, some surprisingly good moments, some terrible ones, wondering if the stop and start method of recording it meant we got a really weird mix of performances from him.

I believe they re-recorded all of the vocals together at the end of the recording process the end of last year or beginning of this year except rebel girl and kiss and tell. There was a post where Toms manager had built a vocal booth in his studio and Aaron said Tom was re-recording all of the vocals and then the album was done after that.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

His vocal delivery on that song is quite disappointing. This album is weird for his voice, some surprisingly good moments, some terrible ones, wondering if the stop and start method of recording it meant we got a really weird mix of performances from him.

When he sings hey there little sad girl in Timebomb, it sounds so weird. Like he sang it too low. Doesn't sound like him at all

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ghent said:

A step in the right direction for him, for sure. But is it really an “AVA” album? The waters have been muddied. It’s clear that when he defers to other collaborators it improves the quality of his music..but I’m not sure why he couldn’t do the same thing with, you know, blink-182? The band he started and owes everything to?

You’re entitled to hold this view, but you’d have to group California and Nine into it since they used even more outside collaborators than Tom did. So either all post-Tom Blink albums aren’t real Blink albums since the “waters were muddied” or they are, but this is a legit AvA album. Otherwise you’re just left with shotty selective reasoning.

My guess is it didn’t work with blink-182 because the pull from Mark was more towards California style re-do enema and Ilan brought well what we got which Tom seems to like his dark synth style. I think Tom hates California he made a couple backhanded comments about it back when it came out without actually saying something directly trashing it.

45 minutes ago, Shit Poster said:

You’re entitled to hold this view, but you’d have to group California and Nine into it since they used even more outside collaborators than Tom did. So either all post-Tom Blink albums aren’t real Blink albums since the “waters were muddied” or they are, but this is a legit AvA album. Otherwise you’re just left with shotty selective reasoning.

Tom only used one outside writer for some songs though. I’m nitpicking here though as I’ve gone full tombot mode this weekend! 😅

But I agree with you, This album where all band members (except cheerleader dave) contributed with songwriting they feel more like a normal functioning band again imo

2 hours ago, NotNow said:

I believe they re-recorded all of the vocals together at the end of the recording process the end of last year or beginning of this year except rebel girl and kiss and tell. There was a post where Toms manager had built a vocal booth in his studio and Aaron said Tom was re-recording all of the vocals and then the album was done after that.

In that case, fuck knows why it’s so inconsistent.

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

When Tom let’s people help him and collaborate a bit, the results are proven to be better. I hope he gives up any future attempts to make AVA a glorified solo project

True. I think he's 100% run out of ideas if he's solo. I mean he straight rehashed an old Ava song on this album

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I enjoy the album. It’s different. I know to each their own and all that shit. Only song that’s a dud for me is the no more guns shit, everything else slaps. Looking forward to seeing them at starland in a few weeks.

also, since when did we all start looking to Tom for deep life changing lyrics? It’s hilarious reading you all criticize his lyrics like he’s been some lyrical god all these years.

I know nothing on the album matches up to “I drove by your house but you don’t live there anymoreeee” but cut the guy some slack.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Crab 2
  • Clown 1

1 hour ago, Njdevils26 said:

I enjoy the album. It’s different. I know to each their own and all that shit. Only song that’s a dud for me is the no more guns shit, everything else slaps. Looking forward to seeing them at starland in a few weeks.

also, since when did we all start looking to Tom for deep life changing lyrics? It’s hilarious reading you all criticize his lyrics like he’s been some lyrical god all these years.

I know nothing on the album matches up to “I drove by your house but you don’t live there anymoreeee” but cut the guy some slack.

Tom.

2 hours ago, Njdevils26 said:

Jeez settle down Tombot. We’re allowed to criticise shitty lyrics if we don’t like them. 

“b-b-b-but blink has shit lyrics now too!!!” Yeah fuck we know. Doesn’t mean we can’t call a spade a spade. Majority of the people shitting on Tom’s lyrics shit on new blink way harder.

4 hours ago, Shit Poster said:

Let me smooth things over here

Blink is simple and shit

AvA is simple and shit 

Tom with Blink is less simple but still pretty shit 

So much truth haha

i legit like this album though, still somehow surprised considering I’d heard most of them before.

• Like 1