The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

12 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

Setlist spoiler alert!

Hide contents

Automatic was played instead of start the machine tonight, looks like their doing some light set list rotation on the tour

I feel like they just played it because the label told them to because it was doing really well. Tom played the guitar in the wrong key in sound check because he didn’t even know the song because ilan did the guitars apparently lol. So they didn’t rehearse it and they played a lot of songs Tom rehearsals that didnt make the cut

13 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

Setlist spoiler alert!

Hide contents

Automatic was played instead of start the machine tonight, looks like their doing some light set list rotation on the tour

I feel less bad about missing it now lol. Last night would have been my show. Damn, last time AVA played in Portland it was the only show on the tour they didn’t play There Is in the medley. I was so bummed about that lol 

2 hours ago, NotNow said:

I feel like they just played it because the label told them to because it was doing really well. Tom played the guitar in the wrong key in sound check because he didn’t even know the song because ilan did the guitars apparently lol. So they didn’t rehearse it and they played a lot of songs Tom rehearsals that didnt make the cut

i doubt the label dictates this band's set list. losing my mind would be on it if that were the case. i don't think rise records gets any money from these shows. they just distribute the record. 

2 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i doubt the label dictates this band's set list. losing my mind would be on it if that were the case. i don't think rise records gets any money from these shows. they just distribute the record. 

When I said label I just meant his team in general. Pretty sure that’s not true about the label though, they wouldn’t sign deals just for the album. There’s no money to be made there and someone has to put up the capital for the tours. And pretty sure the only reason they’re not playing losing my mind is it’s too hard for Tom to sing.

19 minutes ago, NotNow said:

When I said label I just meant his team in general. Pretty sure that’s not true about the label though, they wouldn’t sign deals just for the album. There’s no money to be made there and someone has to put up the capital for the tours. And pretty sure the only reason they’re not playing losing my mind is it’s too hard for Tom to sing.

Labels do distribution deals all the time.

21 minutes ago, NotNow said:

pretty sure the only reason they’re not playing losing my mind is it’s too hard for Tom to sing.

If that is the actual reason I think it’s smart of them to build a set list out of the songs where Tom perform the best vocally.

With that said the set should be longer with the addition of love era songs imo

3 hours ago, NotNow said:

that's exactly what most labels do these days. 

3 hours ago, NotNow said:

Yeah like @wannabe corn dog said that’s exactly what they’re doing. And you’re wrong about there’s no money to be made as well, depending on what deal they’ve done with the artist they can do pretty good from streaming alone.

Rihanna’s Umbrella has an made around 3 230 400 dollars, that’s one song on one streaming platform (Spotify). For the talent, they get a portion out of that amount, then ascap/bmi and for the musicians that played on the track there’s an agency that collect royalties for them as well (at least in Sweden). 

Umbrella is I obviously an extreme example but I chose it to make a point

I'm so bored of this album already.

Kiss & Tell and Rebel Girl were still the most exciting things to come off that album/promotion cycle. 

Losing My Mind, Restless Souls sure good, but very quickly don't want to put any effort in to revisit.

They REALLY needed another banger like K&T or RG to keep any interest once it was released. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emo Pickles said:

I'm so bored of this album already.

Kiss & Tell and Rebel Girl were still the most exciting things to come off that album/promotion cycle. 

Losing My Mind, Restless Souls sure good, but very quickly don't want to put any effort in to revisit.

They REALLY needed another banger like K&T or RG to keep any interest once it was released. 

I feel the same. I listened to it twice since there full thing released and I’ve just got no desire to revisit the whole thing. Few songs here and there? Sure. Whole thing in one sitting. Nah.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i don't remember the last time an album came out that i listened to constantly. maybe neighborhoods 10 years ago? so, for me, it's not even a valid critique anymore. music kinda sucks now. 

Fair.  Something about streaming made the listening less constant. 

Neighborhoods and Untitled are by far the most listened to albums in my lifetime. 

I definitely still think it's a pretty boring album since we got the two best songs first (IMO).

I just put the ones I like on my main playlist, and im still happy.

only newish album I’ve listened to intentionally as a whole is Bo Burnhams Inside. Not many full records feel like decent experiences anymore. I always try, but they rarely deliver.

• Like 1

MGK - Downfall, b182- NINE, and TBS - Tidal Waves are really the only three I can think of in the past 4 years that kept me engaged start to finish (blink for biased reasons).  I love some albums that have come out, but I can't pretend they don't go straight to playlists before it reaches any levels of the good ol days.

17 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

If I like an album I’ll listen to it front to back for a few weeks when it’s new. I’m not much of a playlist guy though.

Same ... occasionally I'll throw on a band specific radio on Spotify. I'm not handpicking songs to soundtrack my day to though.

• Like 2