The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tom-delonge-set-direct-sci-fi-feature-strange-times-971175

“I grew up in Southern California as a disaffected young skateboarder who broke the occasional law or five, and I was always dreaming about the world around me, obsessively looking for the more unusual and imaginative experiences that life has to offer," said DeLonge. 

He added: "That’s the inspiration behind Strange Times, which is about the tribe of broken youth and the restless spirit that inspired me to form Blink-182 and seek out adventure."

those dumbass social media posts make more and more sense. he peppers things with "blink-182" to drum up interest. breaking up with blink might be the best thing that ever happened to to the stars lol

I was starting to think maybe Tom has stopped with the nonsense now he realized he was being immature and just wanna focus on doing his own thing and let his work speak for itself without namedropping blink all the time for everything he does.

That’s the inspiration behind Strange Times, which is about the tribe of broken youth and the restless spirit that inspired me to form Blink-182 and seek out adventure

Well alright then.

11 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

To be fair though, Tom did start Blink, unlike Kroc who stole Mcdonalds.

Blink became a lot more than Tom, but it isn't inaccurate to say that Tom did start the band with Scott.

Tom's assertion that he single handedly started blink has always bothered me. For a band to start, you need at least 2 members in my opinion.  Tom just thought that Mark and him could make music together, but Mark had to be on board too, if Mark says no, they don't start blink, instead Tom finds someone else and they start a different band.

15 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

In Tales From Beneath Your Mom it says that Tom started the band with Scott, and Mark came in later, then quit because of his girlfriend, then rejoined.

At least, I think it does, I haven't read it in a long time.

I could have swore Scott came last.

1 minute ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I can't remember if it was from that book or if I heard it somewhere else, but for years I've been under the impression that it was Tom and Scott at first.

Someone who knows more than Mike and I do, please help!

I lost that old Tales From Beneath Your Mom book, I could look it up if I still had it :(

Just now, Cheerios4u98 said:

I can't remember if it was from that book or if I heard it somewhere else, but for years I've been under the impression that it was Tom and Scott at first.

Someone who knows more than Mike and I do, please help!

the truth is tom wanted a band, met scott, and they began playing together. then later that summer they met mark. mark quit at some point before may '93 because of his girlfriend, and i think there's some evidence of other bassists being around. but he came back to do flyswatter, and then they started playing shows. in '94, scott left the band when he moved away to reno, and they tried other drummers. there's at least one person (davey quinn, back on the alt.punk newsgroup in the '90s) that said they broke up after scott left, but reformed later. scott wound up coming back after the record deal with cargo, and the rest is history.

after scott got kicked out, the narrative became that tom and mark -- inseparable best friends to the end -- founded the band and then scott came along. it's like that in tales beneath your mom (snippet posted below). that book is great, better than it has any right to be, but it does feel dishonest in that early section, just a tad. though i suppose tom and scott could've played together, parted ways, tom met mark, and then tom called on scott. but who knows. all i know is that for a long time it was tom and scott started the band, then it suspiciously became tom and mark

iJtxHJQ.png