The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, cowboysguitars said:

Don't get me wrong, there are some high points on that album.  I'm just not quite so sure that his repetitive style on that album would translate to the acoustic guitar.  It's ok when you have an array of instrumentation at your disposal but I'm curious to see how acoustic he goes.  

If those clips are any indication, not sure it will be that good.  But who knows

Oh ok got you. Didn't think about that. IDK I liked the Adventure acoustic that came with the I-empire vinyl we'll see if it translates to a whole album. Either way I'm looking forward for it to be released whenever he needs the money (whenever his movie comes out and bombs).

1 hour ago, cowboysguitars said:

Distraction is basically the same chorus the entire song.

It's be weird if it was a different chorus the whole song ... why, that wouldn't make any sense at all. Not a lick of sense.

• Like 1

It might be the least repetitive AVA record (I'd disagree because Dream Walker, babeh) but that doesn't mean WDNTW isn't repetitive. it hella is, which is one of the reasons I could never get into it. and I can kind of see what @cowboysguitars is talking about.

Simple songs can sound great with a full scale accompaniment. there are so many famous songs that are literally three chords repeated but they don't sound so monotonous because of the added elements. When you strip it down to acoustic though they get super dull, super fast. It's one of the main problems I've found trying to acoustify pop songs for stage, because holy crap do those songs get boring as shit when you take them down to their bare elements. 

Songs like "Happy" by Pharrell or Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" just using examples off the top of my head, just flat out sound boring as shit on an acoustic level. It could work, if you're a particularly talented acoustic guitarist with some multi-tracking, but Tom is pretty damn limited as a guitarist and more so on an acoustic.

I'm excited for it and I think The Adventure sounds interesting there so I'm not saying it's impossible at all but he is right that it could potentially be a bit of a failure, musically. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cowboysguitars said:

if I remember correctly, WDNTW came out summer 2006.  So I guess its the 11 year anniversary release.  

Also, what a terrible idea.  Just recently listened to that album and while the lyrics are pretty good the music is still stale.

Feel the opposite. The music is great, the lyrics are terrible most of the time.

"Praised as "Alt-Rock's JK Rowling" this shit cracks me up every time...

BTW I finished GODS yesterday and holy shit that book is hard to get through. I also can't remember hardly anything I read, like I can't even have a decent discussion about any of it. I was bored enough one day to read some UFO board's reactions about it (and Tom/Peter), and they said they brought nothing new to the table, re-hashed already known theories, and are essentially full of shit...

I wish he'd just focus on Poet Anderson at this point, it has the most potential IMHO. 

WDNTW is repetitive to me as well. One of the flaws of that album IMO. As good as Valkyrie Missile sounds (I like the lyrics, I like it all almost), the verses are way too long for my liking. Also the first minute of the song I just find unnecessary. Once the drums start kicking in, it starts getting good though. Distraction is just so boring for me. I get what he's trying to do. Like he's trying to create some anthem stadium rock sound with that drum beat that an audience can clap to. But the song just falls flat to me. I do love the build up though.

Do It For Me Now, the lyrics I love. But the song drags. Outro is awful IMO. Just dragging on and way too much going on. The verse goes on a little too long, but I do love how they sound. Love the chorus too. Adventure is superb until the bridge. He's repeating the same damn line way too many times (again I get that he's trying to go for that stadium rock vibe for an audience to chant along to). The song just turns crap by then IMO. First 2 minutes are brilliant though.

A Little's Enough is one of the few that I like from start to finish, but that bridge could've been done a bit better. The War has a great riff. Great chorus. Similar kind of song to Distraction, but does it way better IMO. That said, the song still has something missing IMO. Again, it drags on for me. Never did like Good Day. The Gift sounds nice but it gets boring after a while. But I love the ideas. It Hurts is one of the few songs IMO where he kind of got it right, but that's definitely missing Mark & Travis. The song sounds so blink iMO. Gives me similar vibes to blink's cover to a Letter to Elise, as wall as the improvised live versions of songs like Down/The Rock Show/STFTK back in the 03-04 days.

Love Start the Machine all the way through. Just a nice song, that doesn't drag. I've said it many times but this album should've been the true follow up to the smiley face album. Mark and Travis would've a great help, along with Jerry Finn producing.

Lyrically I find nothing wrong with this album apart from the "I think I like today" part. Always found the "we're angels & airwaves" part silly as well.

17 hours ago, Ghent said:

Large studios, big directors, 100+ million dollar budget, Disneyland attractions, Cirque Du Soleil performances, teaming with NASA and Skunk Works..........dude is a joke lol

seeing this list typed out is always hilarious and shocking if you haven't thought about his projects for awhile. 

18 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Lyrically I find nothing wrong with this album apart from the "I think I like today" part. Always found the "we're angels & airwaves" part silly as well.

Really? that line doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as "Your smile is gone, I noticed it bad"

WDNTW has a few ok gems. I acknowledge it's ambition knowing full well it's above Tom's grasp.

19 hours ago, Osgod said:

What do you expect?

Even if he invests a large amount of his Blink money it's still a small budget compared to big movies where the famous actors participate. 

I guess I'm more shocked he actually cast someone than I am on not knowing a few tv actors. At least this will keep Tom away from sniffing around the blink camp for awhile.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Really? that line doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as "Your smile is gone, I noticed it bad"

Which song is that smile line? I can't remember that lyric haha. And yeah, it was the way it was done. Like an introduction. The good thing was that it was lower down in the mix, so it isn't the most noticeable thing. Would've just been better if they just used random NASA recordings like blink did with Asthenia or something.

6 hours ago, Kay said:

I think thats one of the worst Tom lines ever, tbh. almost as bad as 'the ice is really cold'. 

I'd love to see Tom actually stand on a stage and read out the lyrics to All That We Are. Poetry style. I'd probably laugh at the ice is really cold part.

2 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

What about "lonely, cat-like master" or "the smell of lions"

Gems. 

The one I hate the most from Dream Walker (and theres definitely a few to choose from) is "I get off this way when I'm in love" 

Just like... eww?

• Like 1