The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 minutes ago, OrganGrinderX182 said:

Yeah wtf.  Who just comes in and makes  a post like that

with an 'insider' user name (BigOilyMen...)

with proper grammar (blink-182)...

with knowledge of a John Podesta documentary (is that even public knowledge...?!)

way too bizzare.

I find it ridiculous that so many people think they know exactly what's going on between Tom and Travis. No one knows a thing at all. Lets just see what actually happens. Fuck, they might even record an album together that's not Blink.

2 minutes ago, dyls5 said:

I find it ridiculous that so many people think they know exactly what's going on between Tom and Travis. No one knows a thing at all. Lets just see what actually happens. Fuck, they might even record an album together that's not Blink.

Tom has been editing what he wrote about talking to Travis all day dude

53 minutes ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

Hi.

Tom has a point. Yes, he's a little kooky, has a tendency to go off the deep end, and may not have fully psychologically processed this divorce yet - but he has a point, and if you think Mark doesn't have his own issues, you aren't really looking at the full picture. I mean, Mark is the guy who was legitimately jealous, depressed and heartbroken about Box Car Racer. It took him *years* to get over it, and honestly, part of him still might not be. Box Car didn't "create" drama in the band - Mark's weird overreaction to it did. 

Mark holds grudges. Mark engages in petty vengeance (remember when he released "No It Isn't" on Tom's birthday? Low blow.) Mark talks a lot of shit and airs a lot of private, personal problems. Tom usually takes the high ground and wants nothing but the best for Mark. I think, deep down, Mark's the same way - but boy, can he have a hard time showing it.

I think some of you need to get over this notion that Tom is "lying." His perspective is this: he got too busy to honor his commitments with Blink, and he had to back out to deal with all the other shit he has going on his life. He didn't expect this move to get him permanently kicked out of the band, and in his mind, that's not really something they can do to him - at least not without his blessing. Legally, ethically or otherwise.

Keep in mind, Tom isn't blasting them publicly, forcing them to go by "blink-182 with Matt Skiba," or anything like that. All things considered, he's being pretty cool about everything. And sure, at least part of the reason for that is probably that he feels more than a little bad about having to back out of all their plans - especially since this is far from the first time it's happened. 

But don't act like Mark is the hero in this situation and doing everything right. He kicked Tom out of Tom's own band. He doesn't want him back. That's pretty harsh. Tom would never have done that to Mark.

Also, anyone who doesn't clearly smell the other forces at work here -- that Mark isn't too fond of Tom's new songwriting and vibe -- just isn't looking at this whole situation properly. Mark doesn't necessarily want to be in a band with a Wannabe Bono who writes songs about magical love children from space. And who could blame him? But he doesn't emphasize this point, because creative differences of this sort are a lot harder to back up as a reason to kick someone out of his own band. He needs to frame Tom as at "fault," and simply having different musical persuasions isn't exactly a culpability issue on Tom's part. Put differently: Mark is sort of acting like he gets to dictate what the band sounds like, even though it's a songwriting partnership. Is Tom a bit of a control freak too? Absolutely, but somehow he managed to work out those issues without replacing Mark with the bassist of Coldplay or something.

I'm not saying Mark's "fault" frame is disingenuous at all. But I think it's obvious that he'd be willing to put up with Tom's flakeyness a lot more if he was still writing songs like "All the Small Things" or "Dysentery Gary." And yes, he'd also be willing to compromise with Tom creatively if Tom were a bit more committal. Both issues are at play, and that's just reality. So I wouldn't buy into this whole "Tom's a mess" frame as much as some of you seem to be - that's what they have to say in order to move on as a band. There's clearly a genuine creative difference going on too. And frankly, what Travis said recently -- that he and Mark didn't wanna bum Tom out by telling him they didn't like his long, U2ish intros and AvA vibes -- is telling that maybe they could've tried a little hard to compromise with a guy before they rag on him for being uncompromising.

I don't think we've seen the last of Mark, Tom and Travis on the same stage. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see a Box Car reunion in the next year or two - even if it's just a couple shows. Travis seems totally fine with Tom, and it's something a lot of fans would like to see.

Tom's a good dude. Sure, he's a bit nuts sometimes, but he means well and anyone who's spent time with him can tell you that he has a good heart and loves making his fans happy. He's one hell of a songwriter, and hey, we're all here in a forum based on a band that he started. Props to Tom for living his dream and I hope he's back with blink-182 at some point soon - but I think that may take a few years, at least.

Also - cut the guy some slack on the whole alien/government thing. He's making a documentary with John Podesta - who is in charge of Hillary's campaign and used to be Bill Clinton's chief of staff. He really is studying this issue in a serious way with people who have had major top secret clearances. Yes, I know, it's a little nutty - but I don't see anyone telling Hillary to fire Podesta for being schizophrenic or something. People smarter, saner and better than any of us believe in aliens, too.

In the meantime, I also wish Mark, Matt and Travis well, and I'm stoked to hear the album they've made.

Tom do you have access to the new blink album? If so could you please leak it? Seeing as you think you are still in the band you shouldn't be in any legal trouble, and even if you were in trouble you could just blame it on aliens mind controlling you or some other weird shit. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

Lol, I'm just a fan guys. Hardly an insider. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the topic because I find it interesting. Carry on.

Tom says carry on all the time at the end of his posts...Tom confirmed.

downtown la could be Tom or an insider for sure.