The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

2 hours ago, NJansaid said:

My vote goes to Left Alone.

Followed closely by No Future, Parking Lots, Wildfire, Misery, She's Out Of Her Mind, HILSAP, Los Angeles, Disaster, and I'm Lost Without You

Your Cali preferences are all over the place. Some of those have really catchy parts and are better than most songs on Cali and Cali deluxe (No Future, Left Alone). You're forgetting mega duds such as Rabbit Hole, The Only Thing That Matters, most of Deluxe. 

The reason I hate Wildfire is it has no redeeming qualities. It isn't catchy, the lyrics suck, the vocals suck, no cool guitar parts, no good melodies, no cool bridge. Its the most worthless song ever. 

I know you hate Parking Lot, but that is actually fun and catchy. Its like an improved version of that cringe song Kings of the Weekend. 

Edited by Feeling_This_1

I'm not surprised AVA are selling tickets fast. Blink have become more relevant because of California. They've got that interest from the mainstream a bit more. AVA are gonna latch onto that a tiny bit simply because blink is where Tom comes from. This album is the first AVA album since 2014. The tour is also the first time Tom has performed in years. His last performance was Leeds + Reading in 2014 if I remember correctly. If that's wrong, 2014 is definitely the last year he has even performed.

AVA now seem to be under a record label, which means promotion will probably be a bit better than any promotion AVA has had since I-Empire. Plus, Tom was on that podcast with Joe Rogan not too long ago. He's a crazy motherfucker. Crazy sells. Tom also hasn't had any proper release since he quit blink. It's all just been EP's. I think AVA will have a bit more interest in them because of all this. It's the first time since I-Empire that there is decent interest in them. He was still in blink for TDW and the LOVE albums, so people probably didn't care for them as much. Now they wanna see if Tom can top blink. That definitely won't happen on a commercial level but on a critical level? Well blink have mostly been hit & miss with their songs in the past few years, so it could happen.

But based on Rebel Girl, which isn't a bad song, it's also very mediocre and typical AVA. Not a good starting point for the first AVA single in years.

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

These are 800-2k capacity venues, not surprised at all they go quick.

I still think AVA would struggle to sell that many tickets quickly without all the history from the past 4 years though haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Did you purchase the $200 AVA VIP package?

Nerd.

Nope. Decided it’s way too much money, just bought a $35 ticket. Probably should wait on the nerd until you get an answer dickhead.

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2019 at 11:37 AM, Elisa said:

Outside of the punk realms I’ve been checking out Guided By Voices and Nine Inch Nails since last winter, Big Star, Elvis Costello, Songs:Ohia, Ween, Big Thief, Bill Callahan, LCD Soundsystem too because I never actually listened to them outside of the New York I Love You song. And some dreampop stuffs: Cocteau Twins, Galaxie 500.

Punk-rock/pop punk related stuffs: I finally gave a chance to PUP! Then Royal Headache, Red City Radio, Swain, Adventures,  that old punk band called X from LA (which is more than just a punk band)
Remo Drive and Prince Daddy and the Hyena are two bands I’m keeping an eye on this year because I think their new albums will be good, based on the singles I've recently heard. Sorry for the long post!!

Yo I'm seeing PUP in a half hour tonight and just discovered Prince Daddy and the Hyena this week. Gotta love Spotify. Great music. Love it all. I'll check those other bands out too!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Looks like California served it's purpose.  It made us appreciate Neighborhoods, made us appreciate things like Simple Creatures, now AvA?  Never even liked AvA but all of a sudden it sounds like what Beethoven must have sounded for the first time..

who appreciated simple creatures? that shit it so bad.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

53 minutes ago, tom18222 said:

who appreciated simple creatures? that shit it so bad.

I like SC to an extent, it’s just weird cause it barely sounds like mark had anything to do with the actual writing of the music. Whereas with AVA you can tell by listening to it that it’s largely Tom driven. His signature melodies and sensibilities are present.

• Like 1

Per Mark’s Instagram he just filled his 2nd notebook full of lyrics working on the new Blink/Simple Creatures ideas, and has moved on to his 3rd. 

Odd since Feldy/Zakk write all of this material whilst Mark plays Pokémon? Must be full of Sudoku puzzles.

50 minutes ago, knapton said:

A lot of people here liked it. I loved it

it's an embarrassment.

mark is an embarrassment actually. he looks ridiculous and he clearly is nothing without Tom. not that Tom is much better. 

but california made it very clear that tom was the only thing pushing the band forward at all. there are some ok songs on there but its just kinda lame.

• Like 1