The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

45 minutes ago, kibbles said:

he also replied to Mark

A63B5628-905B-4D82-B8FA-5A4236818D75.jpeg

Explains why he didn’t reply before. He didn’t follow them so he didn’t get notified. I’m guessing someone told him about the comment today and that caused him to follow them back.

Tom seemed genuine on that little interview for a change. I would be so happy if he admitted durng 2009-2014 that blink gave him everything that he got, it was so shitty how he was always talking and promoting ava while everyone only cared about blink.

Plus all the social media "love" is so childish. Grow up Mark and Tom for real. To this point I couldn't care less about Tom coming back to blink(that would never work don't kid yourselves no matter how much you don't like the band with Matt) but I'd be seriously happy to know Mark and Tom started talking and don't hold grudges anymore. Which is weird to care about a relationship of two people you don't even know but I guess the magic with blink was always Mark and Tom relationship and that has passed to us the fans as well.

• Like 1

I don't see Tom coming back but if he did I think he'd be at the mercy of their current hired gun songwriting approach, he wouldn't have the authority to demand more creative control - so we'll have more of the same shit with Tom's current vocals. 

6 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Also this:

TOM DELONGE REVEALS DESIRE TO REJOIN BLINK-182 “IN THE FUTURE”

While he's busy with Angels & Airwaves and To The Stars, Tom DeLonge mentions that he has hopeful plans to join blink-182 again.

https://www.altpress.com/news/tom-delonge-blink-182-return-possibility/?fbclid=IwAR37x3CnW_6wGQ1Om_e37pNEFoznu_fm4r1BUwse_Ic_rwjk67TiEle2feQ

Well, looks like we're half-way to getting a reunion again. If he takes it more seriously and devotes the right amount of time to it, and Mark isn't a little bitch about it, then this could have some huge potential. 

Fuck yeah.

17 minutes ago, Kay said:

I don't see Tom coming back but if he did I think he'd be at the mercy of their current hired gun songwriting approach, he wouldn't have the authority to demand more creative control - so we'll have more of the same shit with Tom's current vocals. 

I disagree. Tom will only come back if he gets his way (hence why he won’t ever come back but for the sake of argument). Mark would make concessions for Tom, because mark just wants blink to still be blink it’s been that way since 2004. Tom doesn’t make concessions, Mark does and has for the last fifteen years. So either mark is very happy with how things are now and Tom will never come back because he’s no longer willing to budge, or he throws out the writing assistance to have Tom back.

• Like 1

I don't know. Thinking about it, this may be just a "I wish peace in the world" kind of statement to not disappoint fans -remember... AVA next album is close-, so well...-.

But I feel like Tom has kind of settled down lately.

Time will tell.

pretty sure Skiba would be glad to get over with blink. he knows he is barely has a creative input, it's not his style, he made enough money with blink, new fans. he's settled and can do whatever the fuck he wanna do. leaving blink for him would be like a paradise. so either tom is back for good in a 5 years or they could make a deal just one album with Tom and call it a day. Feels like we will get two more albums with Skiba/Feldmann and one album with Tom and thats it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, b00bies said:

pretty sure Skiba would be glad to get over with blink. he knows he is barely has a creative input, it's not his style, he made enough money with blink, new fans. he's settled and can do whatever the fuck he wanna do. leaving blink for him would be like a paradise. so either tom is back for good in a 5 years or they could make a deal just one album with Tom and call it a day. Feels like we will get two more albums with Skiba/Feldmann and one album with Tom and thats it. 

Plus, if that's finally the case, he will still having a cut on royalties for Cali, Deluxe and the new one.

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

I disagree. Tom will only come back if he gets his way (hence why he won’t ever come back but for the sake of argument). Mark would make concessions for Tom, because mark just wants blink to still be blink it’s been that way since 2004. Tom doesn’t make concessions, Mark does and has for the last fifteen years. So either mark is very happy with how things are now and Tom will never come back because he’s no longer willing to budge, or he throws out the writing assistance to have Tom back.

I think the power balance has shifted over the years. Tom has taken a lot of knocks both emotionally and financially whilst Mark has proven he "doesn't need Tom" to succeed with blink. if Tom were to come back he'd have to concede to Mark, I don't think Mark would ever let Tom have the power in the band again after everything that's happened. Shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice and all that. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, b00bies said:

As cool as it is to see Tom and Mark getting along, I honestly see it as a PR move from the both of them. I’m sure they don’t hate each other as much as they did a couple of years ago, but it’s odd to do them suddenly “best friends” all of a sudden. They both released singles around the same time, you know it’s a PR move. I was not on with the Tom rejoining blink again, only because I thought it would be ridiculous at this point of his career, on and off with the band (imagine if  Tom quits yet again - that would not look good for anyone). However, you have Jimmy Chamberlin, the original Smashing Pumpkins drummer, who has joined Billy Corgan on and off through the years (even more so than Tom with blink), and he’s currently with the original guitarist James Iha. You can say that it’s different because he’s not the frontman, but his drumming style has become a signature sound of the band. James Iha and Billy Corgan had beef for a decade but they eventually got back together. Corgan realized that Iha (and Chamberlin) was the counterpart to the sound of SP, and it wasn’t just him.

All I want from the Skiba-era is a solid album from all three of them where they all write their own songs without any help. They don’t worry if it sounds like blink, but only if it is a quality song. If that requires Mark to overthink everything to hell, not allowing him to write as many songs, than so be it. California was only the beginning and so much could’ve been improved or expanded, but based off the circumstances, it was an alright effort (I still hope we’ll get to hear the 2015 demos someday). Maybe this new album will be the album that proves everyone wrong (I doubt it BUT I’ll wait until the final product releases, but I’m skeptical after BIOMY and the writing process).

If it backfires, maybe Mark will reconsider everything and either record a genuine album with Matt, Tom, or even the both of them. If Tom comes back into the picture, I can picture Matt going back to ALK3 and his other projects. Matt has too much respect to stay, his main band has almost been on hiatus and he pretty much is aware blink is just a big paycheck. With Tom in the band again, I can see blink making one last album together and hanging it up after a farewell tour.

hmm i don't know... mark always seems in control when tom is gone... but as soon as tom is back things change again, and mark is kinda intimidated by him. i bet he never really told tom in person what i thought of him after 2004. he rather throws passive agressive tweets out in the public like nothing & nobody or talks bad about him in the press....

Mark wanted to impress tom since the first time he met him, and i don't think that's ever going to change......... tom will only come back if he can decide how they are going to do it. no way tom is going to work with any of those songwriters for hire.

that being said, i hope tom doesn't join blink again. he should focus on AvA more

i'm sure it's all about marketing.

blink needs hype for the new album. "mark and tom are friendly with each other again" is a nice way to get attention. it generates speculations, so the band's name is everywhere... but in fact being friendly or talking about the distant future don't mean anything. things like these don't change the band, it only changes its public image.

the same thing goes for tom/ava. tom needs hype for the new ava album, so he's all in for getting attention. he did it all the time when blink released something. he posted a blink-related picture on instagram, then right after a tts/ava promo pic...

so the new thing is that mark does the same: he posts something about tom, then tries to sell blink and simple creatures... at first it felt like he's doing it with a comedic manner ("if tom did it all the time, i'll do it too, and no one can say i'm wrong, and after all i'll laugh at my evil plan as it was just a joke"), but now it looks like they built a strategy over it, probably on label-level. it's good for both parties.

i don't think tom will be back to blink. yet i think it's good that they talk about it in interviews, because it calms the annoyed stupid fans down.

• Like 5

I don't think the lables have anything planned in this regard. But I agree with the fact that this may boost both images. Is there anything better than Tom giving kudos to 'new' blink? and vice-versa (kind of) for fans to settle down too?

• Like 2

Mark probably realises blink don't need songwriters if Tom ever came back to the band anyway. He's often been a fan of Tom's work. Even said the first AVA record would've made great blink songs. Tom is productive as hell so there's no way they'd have songwriters IMO. Plus he'll always have an ego. His confidence in the songs would also give Mark confidence. Tom wouldn't allow other songwriters at all. He just won't rejoin if blink are still gonna be writing songs with 10 other people.

22 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Crazy that this is probably the first time they've had contact since 2014

except they sat in a room together the day after BTD released. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark is laying the groundwork, calculated as ever. 

He knows the latest album is an absolute stinker deep down and knows that blink need Tom to work, wouldn't surprise me if they completely scrapped what they've recorded and got Tom back to start again - would make sense to be honest, give the real fans what they want. 

• Like 5