The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

14 hours ago, knapton said:

Yet there's people that are like "yep, same old blink that I grew up with and love", when it couldn't be further than the band we loved. 

I don't think anyone pretends this is peak 1998-2004 blink, nothing is ever going to replace that. Ghent would even welcome Tom back (I would not). I'm just glad they are happy and still making music, and thankfully I still enjoy most of it. But even if I hated every song, I'd still be happy that they were still playing and people still listen to blink.

• Like 2

Just now, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, there would've been no Feldman and woahs, nananas and gang vocals. That's why a lot of blink fans would've liked it if Tom was involved with California. There would've been cool riffs too. The songs would be entirely different and there would've been no Parking Lots & Wildfires. And it would've been an experimental record and continued from where Neighborhoods/DED left off. Would've been a good record.

Not to say California isn't a good record with Feldman & Skiba. It's a decent one. Just with Tom, it would've been way better IMO.

I think California may have sucked with Tom. Yodels yo ohs and weird lyrics could have ruined it. Unless Feldmann kept him in check...Tall task

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kay said:

did you try Of Nightmares? really good elements in there too. 

I haven't listened to that either. I feel like there should be some good ones on that one too then, I'll give it a try when I get home. 

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

I haven't listened to that either. I feel like there should be some good ones on that one too then, I'll give it a try when I get home. 

As an EP it's similar to Chasing Shadows but it's a bit... I don't want to say 'darker' but I can't think of a better word lol. it's a bit more synth heavy but has a definite mood to it. something I don't think any of the previous AVA releases touched on, closest from Dream Walker I'd compare it to is Tunnels. 

"Home" is a bit weird, I like it but I know it's not universally loved so take it as you will. I think Into The Night isn't amazing, it grew on me like a fungus but I just straight up hated it for a while there first. View From Below is probably one of my favourite AVA songs of all time. no idea why. it's just weird. and Parasomnia is basically just a weird instrumental, kinda creepy.

I listened to this EP and then Chasing Shadows a lot when reading a series of horror novels so I got quite attached to them, worked together very well. 

• Like 1

Regarding the friendship/marketing thing, I don't think they're good enough actors to have "faked" any part of their friendship for the cameras or something I 100% think it was genuine, BUT part of marketing a band is highlighting their strengths and that friendship was a huge strength to highlight at that time. So I think it was real AND marketed well. I'd say it was a huge part of why I originally decided to form a band of my own in the first place! 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Kay said:

As an EP it's similar to Chasing Shadows but it's a bit... I don't want to say 'darker' but I can't think of a better word lol. it's a bit more synth heavy but has a definite mood to it. something I don't think any of the previous AVA releases touched on, closest from Dream Walker I'd compare it to is Tunnels. 

"Home" is a bit weird, I like it but I know it's not universally loved so take it as you will. I think Into The Night isn't amazing, it grew on me like a fungus but I just straight up hated it for a while there first. View From Below is probably one of my favourite AVA songs of all time. no idea why. it's just weird. and Parasomnia is basically just a weird instrumental, kinda creepy.

I listened to this EP and then Chasing Shadows a lot when reading a series of horror novels so I got quite attached to them, worked together very well. 

Of Nightmares has such a unique vibe to it...darker is definitely the right word. I can't say I love it as much as the rest of AVA, but I would have definitely gone for an entire album like that because I think Tom succeeded in what he was going for with it. Reading a horror novel with it is perfect haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I think California may have sucked with Tom. Yodels yo ohs and weird lyrics could have ruined it. Unless Feldmann kept him in check...Tall task

Lmao how far up your own ass do you have to be to justify a band would sound worse off "with weird yo ohs", while being completely ignorant to the  horrendously over-used "nanananana"'s put out by the new blink. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Whales said:

Of Nightmares has such a unique vibe to it...darker is definitely the right word. I can't say I love it as much as the rest of AVA, but I would have definitely gone for an entire album like that because I think Tom succeeded in what he was going for with it. Reading a horror novel with it is perfect haha

It wasn't really intentional, Of Nightmares came out around when I started reading The Passage and I just had it on a loop while I was reading it. my train journeys were about 20 odd minutes, enough for the EP, and I'd get the train twice each day for work - ended up being quite the pairing haha, I devoured the first one so quickly that I purposely listened to a later AVA playlist of faves when reading the other two following books because it worked so well. I didn't read Poet Anderson but accidentally had my "Ava works with books" moment despite thing the concept of that is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

I didn't read Poet Anderson but accidentally had my "Ava works with books" moment despite thing the concept of that is ridiculous. 

I got through like a chapter or two of that book and stopped because I hated the writing style and was bored to tears. He should have stuck with graphic novels for the franchise because I honestly think it would have been more successful that way.

But anyways, what you're saying is Tom was always right. #comingsoon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whales said:

Another clip, sounds like there's gonna be lots of instrumental on this song.

Oh shit, really liked this one a lot.  His guitar tone sounds GREAT right now.  Really like the visual artwork they're doing too (sans rebel girl video..).  Really fits Tom and his alien missions..

• Like 1