The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

10 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

If you think having shitty guitar tone, no energy onstage, and terrible vocals, is awesome. Then yeah, I guess he does an awesome job!

You can cherry pick shitty performances from literally any musician imaginable. Tom sang that same song grunting the lyrics into the mic. 

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You can cherry pick shitty performances from literally any musician imaginable. Tom sang that same song grunting the lyrics into the mic. 

Yeah but that was funny.  I didn't enjoy reunion blink live either but they were still funny enough.  I'll take that every, single, day over a lifeless boring routine karaoke version of blink live.  

• Crab 1

21 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I like Alkaline Trio but I'm just a casual fan. I only know a few songs by name, I don't think I know all of the lyrics to a single one of their songs. I saw them live last year and it was great fun. But I'm not super familiar with most of their stuff. But Matt's awesome in blink and tbh if Tom ever comes back, as happy as I'd be to have Tom back, I'd seriously be sad to lose Matt at this point.

I am a huge fan of Alkaline Trio. It's in my top 3 of my favorite bands. Started listening after the We've Had Enough video. Also, I have the Rock Against Bush album and Warbrain was on. Never seen them live. I'd love to go and sing 97 or Radio. Must be amazing to be at one of their concerts. 

Just now, Phteven_DeLounge said:

I am a huge fan of Alkaline Trio. It's in my top 3 of my favorite bands. Started listening after the We've Had Enough video. Also, I have the Rock Against Bush album and Warbrain was on. Never seen them live. I'd love to go and sing 97 or Radio. Must be amazing to be at one of their concerts. 

They were awesome live! Even though I couldn't sing along to most of their songs it was such a good show.

• Love 1

I took two videos at my show. A Matt song and a Mark song. What was the main complaint about Matt? That he "can't hit the notes?" Well, Matt sounds great in this video I have of Aliens Exist. And then there's Going Away To College. Mark changed the notes in the chorus to make it lower and easier to sing. And yet Matt's the one who sucks because he has to lower one of his songs?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

@Ghent and @Cheerios4u98 you guys really need to listen to more alkaline trio

I like them a lot and I actually listened to them a LOT last year because of their new album and the fact that I was seeing them live. I'm just not so familiar with them that I know all the lyrics to their songs, like I am with blink. I loved their newest album. Definitely want to listen more though, there are entire albums I still haven't listened to. But I have listened to a good chunk of it.

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I like them a lot and I actually listened to them a LOT last year because of their new album and the fact that I was seeing them live. I'm just not so familiar with them that I know all the lyrics to their songs, like I am with blink. I loved their newest album. Definitely want to listen more though, there are entire albums I still haven't listened to. But I have listened to a good chunk of it.

Theres a few you can straight up miss, if anyone is trying to get into them I'd always recommend Good Mourning and From Here To Infirmary. it's like the Enema / TOYPAJ era for Alk3, has the more straight forward charm if their early years but also instances of them trying different things which informs some of their later records. Alk3 to their credit is fairly consistent with their 'sound' even when the albums fluctuate in quality (looking at you, basically everything released between Crimson and My Shame Is True) but FHTI onwards is where they become more commercially tolerable. Good Mourning is probably one of my favourite albums of all time, and I'll always rave about Continental -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Theres a few you can straight up miss, if anyone is trying to get into them I'd always recommend Good Mourning and From Here To Infirmary. it's like the Enema / TOYPAJ era for Alk3, has the more straight forward charm if their early years but also instances of them trying different things which informs some of their later records. Alk3 to their credit is fairly consistent with their 'sound' even when the albums fluctuate in quality (looking at you, basically everything released between Crimson and My Shame Is True) but FHTI onwards is where they become more commercially tolerable. Good Mourning is probably one of my favourite albums of all time, and I'll always rave about Continental -

Just looked up their discography and I've actually listened to a lot more than I thought. But I haven't listened to Good Mourning, This Addiction, or Crimson (not in full at least). I'll need to check those out for sure.

13 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Just looked up their discography and I've actually listened to a lot more than I thought. But I haven't listened to Good Mourning, This Addiction, or Crimson (not in full at least). I'll need to check those out for sure.

This Addiction is uh...really not great lol but the others for sure. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Russel Coight said:

This addiction has like maybe two decent songs. I never listen to it. I think I’m in the minority but I love Agony and Irony. 

I love Agony and Irony too! That was the first album of theirs I really got into back when it was newish. Really the only thing of theirs I listened to for years, because for some reason I never really decided to check out their other albums for a long time. I had From Here To Infirmary too and I really liked some of the tracks ("Stupid Kid" was basically the song that got me interested in the band) but I wasn't as familiar with it as Agony.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I love Agony and Irony too! That was the first album of theirs I really got into back when it was newish. Really the only thing of theirs I listened to for years, because for some reason I never really decided to check out their other albums for a long time. I had From Here To Infirmary too and I really liked some of the tracks ("Stupid Kid" was basically the song that got me interested in the band) but I wasn't as familiar with it as Agony.

Agony and Irony is another one that missed the boat for me but I wouldn't say it was really bad, just didn't click with me.

A lot of alk3 fans are really harsh on My Shame Is True but there's some amazing songs on that record. 

35 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I became hugely into alkaline trio during the MY Shame Is True release period. Hyping up every song as they released. Thinking St Anthony was one of the best things I’d ever heard. I love that album.

I don't hardcore love the whole record but Kiss You To Death, I Pessimist, Warhol and Until Death Do Us Part got to me. I need to spin it again really haha

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm not saying Matt sounds perfect. But Tom has sounded like shit for 15+ years and Matt is clearly a better singer than him. It just seems weird to rip Matt to shreds about it when Tom was always worse.

And everyone who actually went to a show on this tour had a great time and said it sounded great. Poorly mixed vidoes on YouTube aren't an accurate representation of the live experience. The live show is great.

So Tom sounds terrible and choosing a guy that almost sounds as terrible to replace him is acceptable?

Wouldn't you think if they were going to get a guitarist for hire, they'd at least select someone who could sing and play? There are like tens of thousands of better qualified people out there.