Jump to content
 
Tom Bot

The Tom Delonge Thread

Recommended Posts

This sounds like he got a publishing deal that also acquired his back catalog. This isn’t really a bad thing. Sounds like who ever was his publisher before no longer had the rights to the songs he had written. I’m assuming whatever publishing deal he had was exclusive to Blink 182 as he doesn’t really co-write and it wouldn’t make sense to give him a publishing deal as a song writer. Depending on his deal a lot of them cover about 20 years so perhaps his previous one expired and I doubt his previous publisher was pushing his songs to continue to make money. Through sync placements ect. 
 

It looks like he signed publishing deal for future songs as well as his back catalogue knowing that no one was currently pushing his music for sync placement. This is actually a smart move, instead of having his previous music just sit, he’ll now have someone working the music to generate money. He would’ve got a lump sum of money for it in exchange for them to work it. 100% sounds like he didn’t want to deal with the potential of it not working out and not generating more sync income. So 100% is an easy way for him to quickly generate money. 
 

I really don’t think this is a bad move but fairly smart. 
 

The only downside would be that they end up landing a bunch of sync placements and exceed far past his payout in revenue.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure I believe the Billboard article citing AVA as being included, it says 157 songs....doesn’t he have 150+ in blink? (Hence the blink-155 podcast theme/name) 

Also interesting that BCR wouldn’t be in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is they only bought the hit albums. 
 

Dude Ranch -> Neighborhoods ? 
 

or less then that.  They could’ve written out whatever they felt wouldn’t generate any income. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrianm14 said:

This sounds like he got a publishing deal that also acquired his back catalog. This isn’t really a bad thing. Sounds like who ever was his publisher before no longer had the rights to the songs he had written. I’m assuming whatever publishing deal he had was exclusive to Blink 182 as he doesn’t really co-write and it wouldn’t make sense to give him a publishing deal as a song writer. Depending on his deal a lot of them cover about 20 years so perhaps his previous one expired and I doubt his previous publisher was pushing his songs to continue to make money. Through sync placements ect. 
 

It looks like he signed publishing deal for future songs as well as his back catalogue knowing that no one was currently pushing his music for sync placement. This is actually a smart move, instead of having his previous music just sit, he’ll now have someone working the music to generate money. He would’ve got a lump sum of money for it in exchange for them to work it. 100% sounds like he didn’t want to deal with the potential of it not working out and not generating more sync income. So 100% is an easy way for him to quickly generate money. 
 

I really don’t think this is a bad move but fairly smart. 
 

The only downside would be that they end up landing a bunch of sync placements and exceed far past his payout in revenue.

 

 

He is liquidating a substantial amount of assets. It's just hard to imagine him doing that unless it was "necessary".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says they also acquired music from Jack Antonoff at the same time, the biggest alternative pop star / producer in the genre today. I wouldn’t just attribute this to Tom needing money...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, NotNow said:

It says they also acquired music from Jack Antonoff at the same time, the biggest alternative pop star / producer in the genre today. I wouldn’t just attribute this to Tom needing money...

Yeah I don’t necessarily see this as a cash grab or sign of desperation at all. I’m sure there is good reasoning behind it.
 

Would love to know a ballpark range of much blink or similar artists actually bring home annually from past record sales/streaming. I bet it’s shockingly minuscule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I was reading it sounds like they are on pace to spend over 1 billion dollars and they acquire not just the rights of musicians, but other contributors to songs as well. I'm not sure what the grander plan behind all of this spending is, but a crazy story involving Tom of course. Hopefully he doesn't blow it on TTS and luckily for him his ex wife Jen gets none of it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

luckily for him his ex wife Jen gets none of it!!

Lol you’re really fucking dumb. That’s not how that works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Tom’s posting dead cows on Instagram 😐

Aliens did it, bro! 

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah I don’t necessarily see this as a cash grab or sign of desperation at all. I’m sure there is good reasoning behind it.
 

Would love to know a ballpark range of much blink or similar artists actually bring home annually from past record sales/streaming. I bet it’s shockingly minuscule. 

Yea but if it was so minuscule why would these companies bother shelling out big bucks to acquire them. I bet it’s more than you’re Thinking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Lol you’re really fucking dumb. That’s not how that works

You really think he would have done this a year ago? This company will be buying rights for a long time, there was no rush or deadline. Of all 3 blink members, it's Tom who does it. What a coincidence 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

You really think he would have done this a year ago? This company will be buying rights for a long time, there was no rush or deadline. Of all 3 blink members, it's Tom who does it. What a coincidence 🙄

1. Toms rights to blink are assets. Assets that were built during their marriage. In a marriage, you have rights to some percentage of your household net worth; your assets. Not cash. Him liquidating his assets after his divorce doesn’t mean his ex-wife is no longer entitled to those assets lol.

2. This company didn’t even exist a year ago so no the opportunity didn’t even exist when he was getting divorced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NotNow said:

1. Toms rights to blink are assets. Assets that were built during their marriage. In a marriage, you have rights to some percentage of your household net worth; your assets. Not cash. Him liquidating his assets after his divorce doesn’t mean his ex-wife is no longer entitled to those assets lol.

2. This company didn’t even exist a year ago so no the opportunity didn’t even exist when he was getting divorced.

You're talking out of your ass. You have no clue what their marriage arrangement was. There's public information on the various prenuptial agreements that millionaire celebs have signed and there's a very wide range of terms. John Cena for example had a famous divorce where he lost nothing and his ex wife had to return all gifts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i'm pretty sure timbaland and the chainsmokers are broke and desperate as well.../s

Jeez have guys even read what this company is/does?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From wikipedia

Hipgnosis Songs Fund is a British Guernsey-registered music IP investment and song management company. Founded on the premise that hit songs are long-term predictable assets unaffected by economic cycles, which will increase in value as the worldwide music streaming market continues to grow,[1] Hipgnosis Songs Fund acquires proven songs and songwriter catalogs and actively manages them to drive synchronization revenues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't even state he completely sold the rights:

Tom DeLonge said: “It is an honor to have been playing music for so many years and to be in a position to partner with the great team at Hipgnosis to support my work."

It clearly states he's in a partnership with them. Seems like he'll still get royalties but not to the amount he was getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the tombot spin doctors are at work!

There is no partnership lol. Hipgnosis Songs Fund buys song royalties, gambling that they will get their investment back and more over the long run. That is all they do. Go to their website.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...