The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Doesn't sound necessarily exciting, just same old AVA...

The issue with this band is that Tom’s voice isn’t that dynamic, kinda sounds the same in every song. Being the only vocalist in the band, that’s a problem. The same applies to his guitar work. It all sounds so similar, nothing interesting going on.

Then, to cover that up, he uses spaceship special FX sounds.  Which ironically seems the only thing he likes to experiment with.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

The issue with this band is that Tom’s voice isn’t that dynamic, kinda sounds the same in every song. Being the only vocalist in the band, that’s a problem. The same applies to his guitar work. It all sounds so similar, nothing interesting going on.

Then, to cover that up, he uses spaceship special FX sounds.  Which ironically seems the only thing he likes to experiment with.

And this, kids, is what we call an opinion

Tbf, toms voice has changed more over the years than most people's and his output is divisive at best, the last thing id call it is samey, especially the last 6 years. He's capable of some absolute wank but uninteresting is a bit of a stretch. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, theedge00 said:

View from below and Rebel girl are basically the same song, i agree

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tom does have quite a decent range. It shows a lot in songs like Lifeline by AVA. His voice goes from a lower octave in the verses to a higher octave in the chorus. Even in the chorus he shows his range by singing the "here's your lifeline" lyric quite softly then on the second exact same lyric, he sings it with way more power. 

Hell, when I first heard Anomaly I didn't even think that was Tom's voice. I thought that was Ilan or something. His voice is very different on his solo song Invisible Parade. On songs like Kiss With a Spell, his voice is completely different in the chorus to what it is in the verses.

On the DED EP by blink, his voice is at a similar range in all of the songs yet his voice sounds different in all 5 tracks. Not to mention his voice still has that edge to it on the faster tracks like Circle Jerk Pit, Natives and When I Was Young. He sounds different on songs like Bullets in the Wind as well.

Can't forget the Wolfpack demo either. His voice sounds ridiculously high on that compared to the finished track.

• Like 2