The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

15 minutes ago, Kay said:

Actually, on relisten, I like this a lot more.

there's definitely a lack of proper chorus distinction earlier on and it's a little clashing together parts wise but it's actually really sonically interesting. the way the guitars flow into the typical AVA synth sound works shockingly well. Tbh if AVA had been a band that had their atmosphere synth shit and actually decent heavy guitar work I'dve been on board since the beginning. 

I wish the guitar work was more interesting and that the chorus had more oomph earlier on but I actually dig it. what I can make out of the lyrics doesn't make me cringe yet either but I'm sure when they officially come out I'll be suitably reminded that Tom has no idea how to use words anymore. 

I'll be honest I'm more excited for this album now. I'll be sad if this is the *cough* "heavy" *cough* outlier, an album of that kind of sound appeals to me. 

It's a grower of a song. The structure and pacing is weird, but I give Tom props for trying something different because this would sound very same AVA if he didn't. The mixing seems a little muddy so far, but until the official release we can't know for sure. I feel like I can hear some interesting parts buried behind the quality

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kay said:

Actually, on relisten, I like this a lot more.

there's definitely a lack of proper chorus distinction earlier on and it's a little clashing together parts wise but it's actually really sonically interesting. the way the guitars flow into the typical AVA synth sound works shockingly well. Tbh if AVA had been a band that had their atmosphere synth shit and actually decent heavy guitar work I'dve been on board since the beginning. 

I wish the guitar work was more interesting and that the chorus had more oomph earlier on but I actually dig it. what I can make out of the lyrics doesn't make me cringe yet either but I'm sure when they officially come out I'll be suitably reminded that Tom has no idea how to use words anymore. 

I'll be honest I'm more excited for this album now. I'll be sad if this is the *cough* "heavy" *cough* outlier, an album of that kind of sound appeals to me. 

He has pointed to this being the heavy song of the album. 

14 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Bit of a meh song for me. I really like the chorus but that’s about it. 

I had no clue what he was saying half the time. I'm getting too old for new music, I need to switch to country.

• Haha 1

After a couple more listened I definitely agree with whoever said this sounds like 4 different songs merged together. The flow of the song feels weird. There’s some cool little moments throughout that I like and I’m a big fan of the chorus so it gets about a 6/10 from me. Most likely bumped up to a 7 once the Spotify version is out if it sounds better.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

After a couple more listened I definitely agree with whoever said this sounds like 4 different songs merged together. The flow of the song feels weird. There’s some cool little moments throughout that I like and I’m a big fan of the chorus so it gets about a 6/10 from me. Most likely bumped up to a 7 once the Spotify version is out if it sounds better.

I kind of like that it sounds awkward, gives it character for me. It's better than paint-by-numbers AvA songs, I guess.

• Like 3

It would actually surprise me more if they DID get exclusive access to the song. That's how bad Tom's history is with this sort of thing. Once he gets the money, he no longer cares.

• Like 3

Just now, Ghent said:

It would actually surprise me more if they DID get exclusive access to the song. That's how bad Tom's history is with this sort of thing. Once he gets the money, he no longer cares.

Exactly.

I fucking love Tom, he has never not been my favorite member but, god damn, would I be a fucking idiot to sign up and pay for anything he offers outside of music ... which, I only count because I pay for Spotify.

• Like 1

Just now, Speedo said:

Exactly.

I fucking love Tom, he has never not been my favorite member but, god damn, would I be a fucking idiot to sign up and pay for anything he offers outside of music ... which, I only count because I pay for Spotify.

I long ago limited my financial relationship with Tom to "here is my money for this item, please send me this item." No charities, no packages, no investments, no subscriptions.... those will all be guaranteed scams.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It MIGHT have been different if they weren't on a label but with them being on a label he really doesn't have a ton of control on when shit gets released. 

51 minutes ago, Smalls said:

After several listens I have come to the conclusion that Tom has let that afro engineer dip his fingers a little too far into the mix. Sounds block-y and jagged. Dream walker b side 5/10

Yeah Rubin era is getting real stale

• Like 2