The Tom Delonge Thread

Shit Poster

4 minutes ago, ye. said:

some people like feeling powerful by stating their opinions as fact. it's lowering the bar for discussion around here lately

LOL you are fucking ridiculous. It's not my opinion that Tom has always sang about girls. It's a fact. Just check his discography, it's not hard. Find one fucking album from any of his projects that doesn't include songs about girls. I'll be waiting. 

15 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

jesus christ it's the "vintage" semantics argument all over again

You guys are so ridiculous tho. Like Tommy Callahan said in Tommy Boy, “if you want me to take a shit in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will.” Lmfao . It was an easy and simple point being made…nobody in the world outside of TomBot’s bubbles is anybody calling AVA epic. If they were then you’d have a leg to stand on. This isn’t semantics , this is common fucking sense. Like I said, you don’t have to call everything you enjoy epic. Tom didn’t do anything nobody else hasn’t done before a million times better 

I don't mind his lyrics being about girls, or anything actually real and existing on Earth, it's actually kind of refreshing.

It does make me cringe when it's about Birdie though.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

You guys are so ridiculous tho. Like Tommy Callahan said in Tommy Boy, “if you want me to take a shit in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will.” Lmfao . It was an easy and simple point being made…nobody in the world outside of TomBot’s bubbles is anybody calling AVA epic. If they were then you’d have a leg to stand on. This isn’t semantics , this is common fucking sense. Like I said, you don’t have to call everything you enjoy epic. Tom didn’t do anything nobody else hasn’t done before a million times better 

You can't even keep all of your random arguments straight Diddy! haha. I'm not talking about "epic" I'm talking about Kay saying songs about girls are unusual for Tom in general and then clarifying that she meant in the past decade or whatever. There's no doubt that Tom's songs about girls dwindled way down in comparison to his early career, in favor of nonsensical philosophical word jumbles, and now it seems like songs about girls are on an uptick. Why in the world do you care so much to turn that into a multi-page argument! hahah

• Like 1

Just now, Champ182 said:

You can't even keep all of your random arguments straight Diddy! haha. I'm not talking about "epic" I'm talking about Kay saying songs about girls are unusual for Tom in general and then clarifying that she meant in the past decade or whatever. There's no doubt that Tom's songs about girls dwindled way down in comparison to his early career, and now seems to be on an uptick. Why in the world do you care so much to turn that into a multi-page argument! hahah

I am sorry and I don't know it just seemed silly to be weird out about Tom singing about girls...even if he took a small hiatus. He has always been about the girls. I didn't mean to be so stubborn about it or rude to @Kay though so my apologies. I know you know your shit! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

I am sorry and I don't know it just seemed silly to be weird out about Tom singing about girls...even if he took a small hiatus. He has always been about the girls. I didn't mean to be so stubborn about it or rude to @Kay though so my apologies. I know you know your shit! 

Haha you know I like you man, but just think about how often you end up posting apologies once you've chilled out after a goofy ass argument! Just try to take a breath every once and awhile and skip the snippy back and forths in the first place haha we're all just havin fun here anyway

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Ilan is all hype, nothing of substance besides technical musical talent.

If Tom wants someone to write him some good tunes, there's this donut loving guy named Feldy I'd recommend 🤘

Although, I disagree with you about Feldman, I can't help but agree with you about Ilan Rubin. It's like he's somehow called Tom out for his songwriting then started trying to teach Tom how to write songs but completely forgetting Tom is the one that has made millions from writing songs. Before AVA, I had never even heard of Ilan.

In ways, it's good that he helps to push Tom but Mark & Travis always pushed him in blink. It's weird that he seemed to want blink to be his backing band like AVA was only for him to eventually treat AVA like an actual band (more like a duo tbh) instead of a backing band.

Euphoria would've been way better as a blink song than an AVA song, simply because Mark & Travis are also better songwriters than Ilan. They also bring out the best in Tom, unlike Ilan IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Ilan is all hype, nothing of substance besides technical musical talent.

If Tom wants someone to write him some good tunes, there's this donut loving guy named Feldy I'd recommend 🤘

Ilan is a sick ass drummer. He really is. I think he's even better than Travis, at least at doing drum solos. But I'm not hip on his guitar or song writing skills. 

Can someone point me to a single good song that Ilan has written without Tom involved?

Raw musical talent has nothing to do with good songwriting in the rock genre. He hasn't earned the spot of writing music for Tom.

Tom fell for the hype. I'm sure Ilan thinks AVA is lame and is just stringing Tom along when possible for some easy money for him and his brother (who has no business producing for Tom).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Can someone point me to a single good song that Ilan has written without Tom involved?

Raw musical talent has nothing to do with good songwriting in the rock genre. He hasn't earned the spot of writing music for Tom.

Tom fell for the hype. I'm sure Ilan thinks AVA is lame and is just stringing Tom along when possible for some easy money for him and his brother (who has no business producing for Tom).

Illan definitely thinks AVA is lame.  He is faking it every time he writes a song for Tom. 

I dig some of the riffs, but it reminds me of a local band playing at a bar to like 30 people.

• Like 1

AVA is much better with Ilan involved. I think Tom needs people to bounce off and push him and I think that just became fighting with blink and that's why it no longer works. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Illan definitely thinks AVA is lame.  He is faking it every time he writes a song for Tom. 

I dig some of the riffs, but it reminds me of a local band playing at a bar to like 30 people.

Sounds like the 10AM slot at a festival

• Haha 5

Ilan was the first NIN drummer who was able to play live the drum solo on The Perfect Drug (not even Josh Freese was able to pull it off):

I imagine Ilan's training was something similar to the movie Whiplash.. And though I agree that I prefer the sound of Tom's collab with Ilan because the early AVA sound got pretty old after I-Empire, being someone who is considered a talented genius doesn't automatically make your songwriting skills perfect. I don't like that New Regime song at all. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I don't like that New Regime song at all. 

Not quite our tempo

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Ilan was the first NIN drummer who was able to play live the drum solo on The Perfect Drug (not even Josh Freese was able to pull it off):

I imagine Ilan's training was something similar to the movie Whiplash..

I just cracked up at the thought of Travis Barker getting pissed off and screaming insults at young Ilan whenever he makes the slightest mistake that barely anyone would notice during one of the lessons (like the teacher does with the drummer in that movie). Wasn't he Ilan's drum teacher for a bit?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Ilan is just a session musician that happens to have gotten a big shot by Tom with being involved (perhaps a little too much) in the songwriting. 

What you say about him thinking AVA and Tom's songwriting in general is lame and stuff is probably true, most people in the heavier rock department is biig musical elitists. 

29 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I imagine Ilan's training was something similar to the movie Whiplash.. And though I agree that I prefer the sound of Tom's collab with Ilan because the early AVA sound got pretty old after I-Empire, being someone who is considered a talented genius doesn't automatically make your songwriting skills perfect. I don't like that New Regime song at all. 

His drum solo at a Guitar Center competition was insane. Dude is almost on a John Bonham level. 

Coincidentally enough, Travis was actually one of his teachers when he was younger. I remember seeing Ilan on a national TV show around the TOYPAJ era. I can't for the life of me remember what the show was, but the premise was something along the lines of guess which person actually knows a celebrity or something like that. And Ilan really did take lessons from Travis, and did a drum solo. I'll try to dig but I can't remember what the fuck that show was.