The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

22 minutes ago, Shit Poster said:

That’s fair but not like Tom’s style of making them seem like this little, fragile, overemotional girl needing saving. This style has become more cringe as he gets older. It was a bit more acceptable in Dumpweed “need a girl I can train” since he was a dumb, young guy.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, back in the day it was "I'm an idiot and I wish girls liked me" and now it's "Let me save you my sweet innocent flower"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Review: mildly runny fart, but decent smell.

Peak old infidelity Tom:

1. Rebel Girl (original)

2. Kiss & Tell

Good 'nuff:

3. Losing My Mind

4. Fire In A Nameless Town

5. Restless Souls

Love pt. 3:

6. Spellbound

7. Euphoria (they fucked his voice up too much on this)

8. Timebomb

Thanks Obama:

9. Automatic

10. No More Guns

Let's not pretend this is some otherworldly album - from a Tombot.  Some of the intros are simply cringe and just Rubins bros and Tom fucking around way too much.  Some moments are very strong (Rebel Girl chorus and guitar breakdown bring a little early 2000s tear to my eye, Kiss & Tell was shockingly good, pretty whack lyrics though..).    Overall, overhyped to mad degree, no surprise, not bad, not great, no surprise there either - give me Chasing Shadows or a handful of AvA over this stuff, but give me this over a handful of other AvA stuff that is even more nonsensible and over indulgent.  Most importantly of all, it still shits all over California for the few moments alone that are genuinely okay enough and not the utter disgrace put out by Mark/Travis/Matt and co. who'm have completely canned it in and give zero shits about the content they are creating, just about securing a bag. 

I think it's safe to say neither will create anything that takes us away ever again outside some small glimpses (First Time, Kiss & Tell riff), but man why is it SO HARD for them to just write casually and genuinely like they used to?  They are our pop punk gods I don't understand why that is so deeply tucked away for them.

Anyways, Tom don't space out an album to this degree ever again and maybe it would be more fun to listen to.  I'm listening to 3 new songs total on this brand new album.

• Crab 1

2 minutes ago, Jane said:

This album is quite forgettable. Took them...how long? And that's what we get? Maybe 2-3 songs (Losing my mind, Euphoria, Spellbound) I can tolerate but the rest I did still not even make it through I got bored/annoyed so quickly.

5 years for these ten songs. that's six months per song.

at least "restless souls" has replay value. you can sing along to about twelve other AVA songs to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickay said:

I miss the days a member of blink would release a new album and this place would lose its mind. Now we get a few pages in an old thread.

Blink universe peaked popularity in the late 2000s and early 2010s. They really came back at the perfect time.

In that five year window you had kids that grew up with blink as their coming of age band because of their older siblings who were now in their teens or college years who were a new generation of mega fans and then you still had the original fans in their 20s still pumped about the reunion and the potential of new blink music. Now you don’t get that hand me down aspect of the music between siblings anymore and blink is aging out along with the fact that they really squandered their output after 2013 which made the mega fans less interested as well.

Partially to blame for the albums they’ve all released, but mostly I just think blink started to become a legacy act once Neighborhoods cycle ended. You don’t have new fans in their teens dying over blink anymore which is where the major excitement and hype comes from.

Just in case anyone missed my rankings: 

Tier 1:

1. Rebel Girl (original)

2. Kiss & Tell

Tier 2:

3. Fire In A Nameless Town

4. Losing My Mind

5. Restless Souls

Tier 3:

6. Spellbound

7. Euphoria

8. Timebomb