California discussion

boxelder

50 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

Still think SOOHM is fucking awful though, genuinely don't get why everyone is loving it. its the most awful cookie cutter pop punk song on the whole album. 

i get this perspective entirely, i guess it came so early in the track listing that it was still sorta surprising to me on my first listen. then, when so many songs began to be formulaic, i still kinda dug SOOHM. still do. think it could be a huge hit.

i've warmed more to california. i still find plenty of tracks to be filler, but some (left alone) have grown on me. i found myself waking up today singing sober haha. i still hold to my opinion that this record makes them just a regular pop punk band, and that feldmann had far too much of influence. in my opinion, it's still less distinctive than neighborhoods, which is the better record here, sad to say. but i can still see myself enjoying this album for what it is.

20 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

Iffyes! lack of riffs!

however speaking as a guitar player, i wouldn't call that part in bored to death a "riff," or at least a lead riff. that adam's song-like strumming is more like a "part" to me. when i commented earlier about the album lacking distinctive riffs, i meant dammit, lemmings, dysentery gary, wendy clear, anthem part 2, rock show etc. etc.

and the "blinkiest guitar playing" on the album is surely brohemian rhaopsody. bored to death is simply the "adam's songiest guitar playing" on california.

Hm... I'd say it's as much of a "riff" as the riff in "Adam's Song" or "Dammit." And also, those riffs are very similar musically - almost inverses of the same main notes. Single notes being picked - not chords being strummed.

Really, the major difference is that vocals are being sung while the riff is playing, which is unusual for blink-182.

Yes, "Brohemian Rhapsody" is also very blinky. Like "M+Ms."

The guitar playing has other blinky moments throughout the album. The verse to "She's Out of Her Mind" kind of sounds like "Always." Strumming chords while a high note stays the same - Matt does that a lot through the album, and it's blinky.

Hm... I'd say it's as much of a "riff" as the riff in "Adam's Song" or "Dammit." And also, those riffs are very similar musically - almost inverses of the same main notes. Single notes being picked - not chords being strummed.

Really, the major difference is that vocals are being sung while the riff is playing, which is unusual for blink-182.

Yes, "Brohemian Rhapsody" is also very blinky. Like "M+Ms."

I totally get a dumpweed vibe with brohemian rhapsody. Wish the album had more of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nextmarkhoppus44 said:

This album makes me feel like driving a car with the top down by the beach with my friends. 

This is literally all I wanted from this album. I've missed Blink songs having this feeling and although I understand why some people might have liked a few darker songs, I'm personally buzzing with such an upbeat record. 

Also, maybe it's just me but Sober reminds a bit of Simple Plan- Everything Sucks

• Like 1

I think a lot would get more satisfaction out of this album if you kind of forget untitled happened, and just think of it as the follow up to toypaj. because its a fantastic follow up to that album 

also, i think the lack of meaningful lyrics just comes from the, "when i get back from getting coffee have a chorus written for me." you just can't put a lot of depth into that kind of writing, and from what mark said it seems like a lot of the writing on the album came from that. songs like san diego are a great example of what this album could have been with well, thought out meaningful lyrics.

30 minutes ago, ManchesterAdam said:

This is literally all I wanted from this album. I've missed Blink songs having this feeling and although I understand why some people might have liked a few darker songs, I'm personally buzzing with such an upbeat record. 

Also, maybe it's just me but Sober reminds a bit of Simple Plan- Everything Sucks

Exactly thanks man! I was singing everything sucks cause you're not around during sober and couldn't remember what song that was.

42 minutes ago, ManchesterAdam said:

That whole album is awesome! I think that those who likes the California album would like Taking One For The Team as well!

The California songs in order of my preference:

1) Home Is Such a Lonely Place

2) Built This Pool

3) Brohemian Rhapsody

4) Cynical

5) Left Alone

6) Sober

7) The Only Thing That Matters

8 ) Bored to Death

9) California

10) She's Out of Her Mind

11) Kings of the Weekend

12) San Diego

13) Teenage Satellites

14) Rabbit Hole

15) Los Angeles 

16) No Future

5 minutes ago, ManchesterAdam said:

I'm honestly not feeling HISALP as much as others are. I love me some acoustic pop-punk and I do think it's a great song but definitely not taken to it as much as everyone else here has done.

Same. I'd almost go as far to say it's my least favourite song on the album. 

• Like 3

for me, one day in, according to preference

1. cynical/SOOHM (tie, honestly)
  2. san diego
  3. bored to death
  4. sober
  5. left alone
  6. no future
  7. HISALP
  8. rabbit hole
  9. the only thing that matters (getting lower and lower, sadly enough... just feels like a b-side)
  10. teenage satellites
  11. california
  12. kings of the weekend

non-contenders: built this pool, brohemian

8 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

The think I also love, I'm not sitting here going "oh it sounds like Mark recorded that guitar" as we did on neighborhoods.

My understanding is that Tom didn't play any guitar at all on "Heart's," "Kaleidoscope," "Fighting," or "MH." But on every other song, yes, he did at least a track or two.

10 minutes ago, boxelder said:

for me, one day in, according to preference

1. cynical/SOOHM (tie, honestly)
  2. san diego
  3. bored to death
  4. sober
  5. left alone
  6. no future
  7. HISALP
  8. rabbit hole
  9. the only thing that matters (getting lower and lower, sadly enough... just feels like a b-side)
  10. teenage satellites
  11. california
  12. kings of the weekend

non-contenders: built this pool, brohemian

I really dont think kings deserve the last place. Lyrically cali is so much worse. 

That scream before the second chorus is fucking gold.