California discussion

boxelder

I'm kind of already over this album to be honest. It's a fun record and easy to listen to but after a few days it just hasn't stuck with me like all the other blink records have. I remember when Neighborhoods came out I listened to it non stop for months. I love Cynical, Left Alone and Kings of the Weekend has grown on me but the rest I have been skipping over. Not saying this album is terrible or anything, im sure in a weeks time or so ill give it another listen.

• Like 5

Each day a new song that I didn't really love before is stuck in my head. It's like I find a new song to love every day. At this rate I'll love every track in a few days.

Cynical is still hands-down my #1 favorite though. I think it's the best blink-182 song since the reunion.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Since88 said:

I have always ranked TOYPAJ higher than Enema. Easily one of my favorite albums of all time!

I kind of go back and forth on those two. 

I used to prefer TOYPAJ, and I still think it sounds better than Enema, but as I've gotten older I just can't get past some songs on there. First Date, Happy Holidays, even anthem pt2 hurt that album for me. They just kind of annoy me now

I fucking love cynical . Teenage satellites is growing on me. Shit the entire album is growing on me .  I just love getting to hear new shit from blink . Brings me back to being a kid every time . Thankful they pulled this off . I hate a couple of the songs lol but thats no different than any other album they've made imo. Cynical is so good. I like the punk shit . I loved hearts all gone on the last album . I wish they would play shit like that more but hey overall this is a great fucking record

On 6/27/2016 at 6:46 PM, bennett said:

there are instances here and there where they really do have thoughtful very creative lines. unfortunately it's just few and far between on this record. i think they'll be much more prepared for LP 2

I like to believe the actual lines like that are the ones mark or Matt wrote.

PS I hope this shit bangs on the radio, even if it's one of the lesser songs on the album.

There's just something about when a song you like comes on the radio that makes it even better than anything else - playing the leak, the CD, YouTube, w.e.  If a Blink song comes on radio it's instant volume 10. Am I only one who gets this?? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

I like to believe the actual lines like that are the ones mark or Matt wrote.

PS I hope this shit bangs on the radio, even if it's one of the lesser songs on the album.

There's just something about when a song you like comes on the radio that makes it even better than anything else - playing the leak, the CD, YouTube, w.e.  If a Blink song comes on radio it's instant volume 10. Am I only one who gets this?? 

A few days ago, a popular mainstream radio station played "All the Small Things" once again...love how Blink is still somehow relevant enough to still be played on stations like this....

Oh yea im the same way.

So far this record is kind of like it was for me when untitled came out. I was more turned off by the new direction in that case, where here im turned off by the over polished feel of CA. But in time im sure its going to be a good one. 

Also, idk about any of you, but on my phone and computer my music is organized pretty well, and i have all the blink records. I went into the blink folder so many times over the years seeing onlt buddha to untitled, that when neighboorhoods, ded, and now california came out they almost feel like they dont belong in that catalog. Im hoping california fits in better with the old records... anyways just a weird thought that crosses my mind everytime i go to play blink

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I kind of go back and forth on those two. 

I used to prefer TOYPAJ, and I still think it sounds better than Enema, but as I've gotten older I just can't get past some songs on there. First Date, Happy Holidays, even anthem pt2 hurt that album for me. They just kind of annoy me now

Enema is the one that got me into Blink. It's pry my 2nd favorite record. 

6 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

What sounds better on full blast speakers?

Los Angeles chorus

all of Cynical

Sober "Na Na Na Na nanana"

California ending 

No Future bridge

San Diego post chorus

or

all of TOTTM

I've found LA to be a giant fucking song with the speakers loud. Or Left Alone.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 9:13 PM, decisions said:

I would prefer Bill Stevenson. Also just because you can't hear something with your fanboy headphones on that everyone else can clearly notice is there, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. There is constantly an abundance of layering on Mark's voice and sometimes slight vocal effects over it, made even clearer by the presence of Skiba's voice, which is most clear for some reason.

He's clearly kidding. But Bill Stevenson is a great musician and would also be a prime candidate. All (no pun intended) three of the band members have reverence for Descendents/Black Flag.

1 hour ago, Nshesaid said:

What sounds better on full blast speakers?

Los Angeles chorus

all of Cynical

Sober "Na Na Na Na nanana"

California ending 

No Future bridge

San Diego post chorus

or

all of TOTTM

All are good choices but I'd say the guitar riff from 1:57-2:18 on Kings of the Weekend.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Which time mark. I don't think so, he's never used a double pedal AFAIK.

2:51, yeah  I think it was his low floor tom tuned down, but it does sound very close to a double kick.

I really think they should attempt a double-kick esque song like ADTR