California discussion

boxelder

Do those saying California is over-produced think the same about Self-titled / Untitled? Would be interested to know. 

I'm still really enjoying the album, obsessed with San Diego. "Sometimes I feel like I'm the oxygen between, the cigarette and gasoline" may just be my favourite lyric of all time.

Do those saying California is over-produced think the same about Self-titled / Untitled? Would be interested to know. 

I'm still really enjoying the album, obsessed with San Diego. "Sometimes I feel like I'm the oxygen between, the cigarette and gasoline" may just be my favourite lyric of all time.

I did not like the production value regarding drums on Untitled. It was very muddy and you can't hear many of the ghost notes. I liked the crisp production on TOYPAJ because you could hear every little note/part being played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, platypus409 said:

I did not like the production value regarding drums on Untitled. It was very muddy and you can't hear many of the ghost notes. I liked the crisp production on TOYPAJ because you could hear every little note/part being played.

I find there are a lot of layered vocals on Untitled too, love the album though. Always is one of my all time favourites but there are so many vocals tracks on the chorus. 

32 minutes ago, Bucko said:

Nope. Don't get me wrong, all of the above albums are overproduced and very polished, but California is a step above the other albums. You can hear it when either Matt/Mark sing a word that is held for a long time and changes tune mid-word. When Matt sings "She saiiiiiiiiid...it's too late to try; some daaaaaaaaaaay" in No Future, at the 1 min mark.  That is more doctored than anything I remember off Enema/Self-Titled, etc. There are plenty of other examples on the album though. 

• Like 4

Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

Nope. Don't get me wrong, all of the above albums are overproduced and very polished, but California is a step above the other albums. You can hear it when either Matt/Mark sing a word that is held for a long time and changes tune mid-word. When Matt sings "She saiiiiiiiiid...it's too late to try; some daaaaaaaaaaay" in No Future, at the 1 min mark.  That is more doctored than anything I remember off Enema/Self-Titled, etc. There are plenty of other examples on the album though. 

To be honest I don't really see what the outrage is, I love all of Blinks albums and I don't really care if things have been doctored. Feel protective of California at the moment because it seems people think it's the only album that has been doctored in any way, and the phrase "Over-Produced" is really starting to Grind My Gears.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bucko said:

That lyrics bothers me.   If only because a cigarette will not ignite gasoline.   But that would be the ultimate in nitpicking i guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucko said:

To be honest I don't really see what the outrage is, I love all of Blinks albums and I don't really care if things have been doctored. Feel protective of California at the moment because it seems people think it's the only album that has been doctored in any way, and the phrase "Over-Produced" is really starting to Grind My Gears.

It's not that it's a problem that they've doctored stuff on California! It's that they have done a bad bad - bad job with the vocals!

Still loving the album though!

9 minutes ago, Since88 said:

It's not that it's a problem that they've doctored stuff on California! It's that they have done a bad bad - bad job with the vocals!

Still loving the album though!

Lyrically its underwhelming.   And discovering that Feldman purposely chose to avoid any classic blink guitar sounds bothers me.   They also actively tried to recreate sounds from other albums,  i.e. This track sounds like eots or toypaj etc.   So if im guilty of saying over-produced it really means fuck off john feldman

The album has really grown on me. Initially there were about four songs i didn't really care for, now two of those are among my faves. Here are my 'best to worsts'. Not counting the joke songs..

1. Left alone 4.5/5

2. She's out of her mind 4.5/5

3. Cynical 4.5/5

4. Home is such a lonely place 4/5

5. Bored to death 4/5

6. No Future 4/5

7. San Diego 3.5/5

8. The only thing that matters 3.5/5

9. Teenage Sattelites 3.5/5

10. California 3/5

11. Sober 3/5

12. Kings of the weekend 3/5

13. Los Angeles 3/5

14. Rabbit Hole 3/5

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, platypus409 said:

I love the sound of the drums on Untitled! The only time Travis plays ghost notes is in the transition between the verses in FT and in Down AFAIK. You can hear them quite well!

13 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Hey we were talking about Senses Fail! I'll go to bat for Let It Enfold You as being somewhat deep if not cliche and generic at times with it's lyrics. Buddy was what, 19? when he wrote that record. Let It Enfold You itself is a Bukowski reference. NJ Falls Into The Atlantic is supposedly about Princess Diana dying and Buddy's dad being an alcoholic (which Diana's was too). Slow Dance contains references to the Dae Da Jing, The Irony of Dying On Your Birthday was inspired by Joseph Campbell. Buried A Lie is a tongue in cheek murder mystery song. Rum Is For Drinking, Not For Burning is about alcoholism and being a pirate. Angela Baker And My Obsession with Fire, is another reference to Sleepaway Camp where the killer is actually the main character (Buddy's own worst enemy is himself). The first line is a goddamn Heathers reference. Certain themes are certainly there. 

All of it is about a teenager's emotional shortcomings with a tiny slice of sexual confusion. Catchy as fuck too. I got a lot of out of it only after listening to that record non stop for 10 years. It's very much a time capsule of what bands in that scene were like back then. 

Let It Enfold You was a beautiful album written from front to back, but a lot wasn't on a personal level (including the From The Depths EP). I consider LIEY more of a poetic album than anything. Still Searching, on the other hand, has every song dealing with Buddies personal struggles & continues on with their discography with the same personal themes of SS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

normally i hate stuff like this, but this was done really well...that shit is hard to do

nah, it's not good at all. especially that he used slow motion footage at the fastest parts.

• Like 1