California discussion

boxelder

3 minutes ago, Scott. said:

So you like one of the most poppy songs? Weird

haha no shit...No Future is by far the most generic pop punk bit on the album.

people just pull opinions out of a hat around here though, not surprising I guess.

23 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I am sure this has been said over and over in this topic, but the more I listen to this album, its good, but it's not Blink, there are flashes of Blink in there, but it's not them, and I think that has very little to do with Matt. It's fun to listen to this album, but like other have said, it has some great flashes of emo shit bands that I detest. Blink always created separation between themselves and All Time Low, not anymore, and that sucks.

how i've felt since day one. i like the album fine, it's an absolute earworm, but it's definitely not blink. but then again, our definition of blink changed with untitled too. i guess it's just difficult to see a producer exert so much control over the songwriting to where every song is stuffed with piano or handclaps or na-na-na's. at least with untitled there was something distinctive and original about them... this sounds literally like any of feldmann's other stuff. kind of a shame. i try and look at it as just one album in their discography and let it go, and besides, i like it alright.

• Like 6

I think is great that we all have different opinions about one thing (whether is a song, an entire album or a band) .It would be boring if it wasn't like that. But yes, this is only good as long as everybody here respects every opinion given. I love posting in here but sometimes there are 'silly fights' and that's ridiculous! I mean when people insults and stuff like that. It's blink, yes, and they are probably our favorite band (or at least one of our favorites) so I guess everybody in here has to at least like them, but not every album, not every song or thing they do. So it doesn't make sense to argue, because like the thread title says this is only a discussion, if you know what I mean ^-^

(and this is just a random thought, I don't have any targets at all haha)

• Like 2

A lot of people hated untitled when it came out. The fans that couldn't take it eventually left, as the new group settled in.

I have high hopes for the next generation of blink fans. And can't wait for the pessimistic ass hats around here to finally piss off.

• Like 2

a bit funny, when people talking about cali as it could be. none of this makes any sense. we have blink-182 - california, and a lot of people all over the world love it. nothing's good enough for you, guys. you really don't let up, do you? i mean, california become a fait accompli and nothing will change. we can talk as much as we can about bad sides of cali, about bad work with feldy or etc, but cali can break all the frames.

• Like 1

California is blink. The only albums that don't sound like blink are Untitled and Neighbourhoods. If this had Tom on vocals nobody would say "doesn't sound like blink" simple as that. 

The only non blink thing on the album are the group vocals and maybe the lack of riffs but Tom is absent so we gave that up. No chance id take that wanker back for another neighbourhoods

• Like 6

I think the main problem with this and every blink fan debate/discussion anywhere is that you have a very vocal minority of people who militantly fucking hate Tom and all things AVA.  They want him and his entire post-reunion catalog burned to the ground, and the ground salted where the ashes fell.  They will never get over it. 

Then you have people who are militantly Tom people who won't let shit lie when the militant anti-Tom folks constantly destroy their hero.  Both parties are cunts, on the whole, and kind of ruin the experience for everybody.

Neighborhoods and DED are okay works that blink has no reason to be disappointed in or necessarily overly proud of.  They were albums/EPs that are a part of the band's story now, and even though they are well in the past, both the anti-Tom and pro-Tom clowns will continue their blood feud over reminding everybody how fucking terrible/awesome those albums were.  It is the biggest circle jerk debate in all of pop-punk history.

This album was a step forward and two steps back in a lot of ways. I don't hate it, but leaves a lot t to be desired in my opinion. It's got catchy-ness and energy. I just think it doesn't have the sonic aesthetics I'd prefer from them. Especially considering Matt Skiba being added to the mix. I think they wanted something they know they could easily do and not challenge their listeners. For the most part it has paid off and they've usurped the popularity of Neighborhoods. It's still actively regressive and pandering though. Blink is already poppy enough, but this is like adding fake sweetener to a donut.

Mark has openly stated he isn't good at change or being out of his comfort zone, which is concurrent with Tom is now. Ironic huh? WYHSB was not super successful and I wonder if that has a lot to do with what we're hearing now...

• Like 1

How can it not be blink when it says "blink 182" right there on the cover? If you were expecting some kind of an evolution rather than a reboot then your expectations were unreasonable. The band has a new lineup, and Matt has given the band a sound that's new but also respectful of the band's legacy. California was never going to be filled with Delongesque riffs. I hope the next album is similar in tone, because one thing I dread is a "dark & experimental" album by Mark Hoppus.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Ghent said:

A lot of people hated untitled when it came out. The fans that couldn't take it eventually left, as the new group settled in.

I have high hopes for the next generation of blink fans. And can't wait for the pessimistic ass hats around here to finally piss off.

Now you are being just as whiny as the people who are trashing it "Wah Wah, you can only say great things if you've been a loyal Blink fan for 15 fucking years and don't like this one piss off"

LOL

• Like 2

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

Not a fan of WYHSB then?

WYHSB is probably objectively speaking a good album and would probably be considered by most serious people above anything done by AvA, but I cannot listen to it because it's so downbeat. It's not that I dislike any particular song but it's just the general tone of the album that makes it a turnoff. It's almost like something by a Finnish rock band.

• Like 1

I wouldn't see the problem at all with Mark and Matt's pre-Feldy "darker" songs being made into an EP.  Could be a fun thing to put out before Halloween but doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be 5 or 6 songs of Mark singing over what a shitheel Tom is. 

i wouldn't say people hated Untitled, more like were confused what to do with it. Later they fell in love with it for a reason, cause it was new, unique, nobody did anything like that and it was def. a grower and awesome record. Untitled still stand by time. 

California on the other hand is good, but it's just TOYPAJ without riffs and sounds pretty much like every modern pop/punk bandbut blink did it better. It's good that they are having fun and back to the game, but at the same time they set the pressure for the next record. No mercy for the next nana's and whoas with generic sound. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Couldn't disagree more man. California is blink through and through. The more I hear it, the more confident I am in that. It's way more blink than anything post hiatus, that's for sure.

Don't agree. It's a good album,  but it retains very little of any of their previous work. Perhaps the things that stands out the most as Blink is Travis' drumming. Feldman tried to change just about everything, but he couldn't change the drumming. 

But Matt ain't the problem here, I don't miss Tom, I miss Jerry Finn.

• Like 1