California discussion

boxelder

In the midst of this 'heated debate', my friend (who is a casual fan) messaged me this:

"Finally listening to the new blink album. So fucking good. Tom Delonge fucked up big time. I'm sure he already regrets bailing."

I tried to tell him that the blink-182online brain trust said it was nothing but corporate shill garbage that simultaneously sounds like Hillary Duff, Good Charotte, Taylor Swift, All Time Low, 5SOS, and Nu Metal, while also being nothing like their old stuff, TOYPAJ part 2, a regression, and too catchy, but he wasn't having it. Said a lot of you sound insufferable tbh. Maybe one day he and will realize the entire album was nothing but a ploy by an unconfident Mark Hoppus to get back on top and isolate his true fans who are just too damn mature for his "radio friendly" hogwash.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

In the midst of this 'heated debate', my friend, who is a casual fan, messaged me this:

"Finally listening to the new blink album. So fucking good. Tom Delonge fucked up big time. I'm sure he already regrets bailing "

I tried to tell him that the blink-182online brain trust said it was nothing but corporate shill garbage that simultaneously sounds like Hillary Duff, Good Charotte, Taylor Swift, All Time Low, 5SOS, and Nu Metal, while also being nothing like their old stuff, TOYPAJ part 2, a regression, and too catchy, but he wasn't having it. Said a lot of you sound insufferable tbh. Maybe one day he and will realize the entire album was nothing but a ploy by an unconfident Mark Hoppus to get back on top and isolate his true fans who are just too damn mature for his "radio friendly" hogwash.

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Dude they said they wrote that song in one day. You seriously think Feldmann just sat there and wrote the entire song for them on the spot?

Why does it have to be so extreme with the people defending this album? I'm sure very few people actually dislike this album so much. We're just trying to discuss various aspects of the album that we didn't like and you're defending it like it's a sacred and flawless masterpiece.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

In the midst of this 'heated debate', my friend, who is a casual fan, messaged me this:

"Finally listening to the new blink album. So fucking good. Tom Delonge fucked up big time. I'm sure he already regrets bailing "

was your ''friend'' Ghent?

• Like 4

Just now, Harry Potter. said:

Why does it have to be so extreme with the people defending this album? I'm sure very few people actually dislike this album so much. We're just trying to discuss various aspects of the albums that we didn't like and you're defending it like it's a sacred and flawless masterpiece.

Because those hating it are just as extreme, if not more so. Why is this okay for you but not for us?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

You can pretend you know how blink handles their business, that's cool. 

I don't pretend to know anything. I'm just using the facts I see in front of me, Feldmann having a co-write on every song on the album. 

24 minutes ago, Cpen5311 said:

Dude. This x10000! You know you need a new job when you feel like just walking away when asked that, haha.

I just can't work for big corporations like banks. I hate helping the rich get richer. The suits are assholes and only care about themselves and overall It was just awful. Easy as fuck job - but awful.

And for LA - It's to the point now where I have more friends out there than I do here. I waited to see if they could make it out there before I took the plunge...and they def are. Majority of them do film and then a couple do FX. I have some PA gigs lined up and a possible full time job at a camera rental house, but nothing is cemented till im there obviously. My fx friends just worked on that Kanye music video with all the naked molds of other "celebs". (still haven't watched it actually lol). But most importantly I just need a change of scenery and to get away from the snow and cold weather.

...and a medical card will be nice addition ;p  

Yeah I'm from Midwest, so I feel ya.  I would definitely do it while you can.  It'll really kick in when you're skipping winter. And home itself is more appreciated when you're gone from it, as in you actually enjoy it on visits back because you're past it finally.

Word of advice: don't be discouraged when EVERYONE says in a semi condescending tone to you -"well did you get a job down there or something?" You'll hear it over and over again. Older folks don't know that you CAN'T secure a full time job in a popular city without being there first. I dealt with that for months. Every employer said I had to be there first.  Even assholes in your new city will try bringing you down because they already went through it and want to be special. Just like you moved on from selfish fucks back home, do the same with them.

I came down south with prospects but nothing set in stone by any means. Yeah I had a good degree and some experience, but what really allowed me to have success and make it, very well now, down here was the motivation and hunger I got just being on my own. I took a months hit of no job, turned down a few shit ones, and ended up snagging one far better than back home and better than I expected. Just need to get creative and play it 'live' in the moment.

Just get down there man. Fuck the naysayers they just don't understand. I'm not 'that guy', but I sure don't mind telling ppl back home that were discouraging me what I'm doing now, which is actually better than anything they are job wise life wise.

Pack lightly. Don't make friends with just anyone just because you're lonely at first. Sounds like you already have buds there, so already a head start on my big move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Yeah I'm from Midwest, so I feel ya.  I would definitely do it while you can.  It'll really kick in when you're skipping winter. And home itself is more appreciated when you're gone from it, as in you actually enjoy it on visits back because you're past it finally.

Word of advice: don't be discouraged when EVERYONE says in a semi condescending tone to you -"well did you get a job down there or something?" You'll hear it over and over again. Older folks don't know that you CAN'T secure a full time job in a popular city without being there first. I dealt with that for months. Every employer said I had to be there first.  Even assholes in your new city will try bringing you down because they already went through it and want to be special. Just like you moved on from selfish fucks back home, do the same with them.

I came down south with prospects but nothing set in stone by any means. Yeah I had a good degree and some experience, but what really allowed me to have success and make it, very well now, down here was the motivation and hunger I got just being on my own. I took a months hit of no job, turned down a few shit ones, and ended up snagging one far better than back home and better than I expected. Just need to get creative and play it 'live' in the moment.

Just get down there man. Fuck the naysayers they just don't understand. I'm not 'that guy', but I sure don't mind telling ppl back home that were discouraging me what I'm doing now, which is actually better than anything they are job wise life wise.

Pack lightly. Don't make friends with just anyone just because you're lonely at first. Sounds like you already have buds there, so already a head start on my big move.

Thank you so much for the kind words and advice! Means a lot and will definitely keep all of this in mind. I really do appreciate it!

and yeah, I've definitely already heard about "not having a job" or anything more times than I wanted to and I haven't even moved yet. I can't wait for a fresh change.

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

I don't pretend to know anything. I'm just using the facts I see in front of me, Feldmann having a co-write on every song on the album. 

I got your quote mixed up with one before it, I apologize. 

What I meant was in reply to "writing credits are given to substantial contributions"  we don't know what Mark, Matt and Travis consider substantial  

14 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

"No future" was great.

"That's two different songs, the chorus is about er um, punk, yeh"

Meanwhile in his head he is thinking "That thing is about how fucked up Tom Delonge is"

Oliver the mindreader 

Just now, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

I got your quote mixed up with one before it, I apologize. 

What I meant was in reply to "writing credits are given to substantial contributions"  we don't know what Mark, Matt and Travis consider substantial  

We can infer that Feldmann must have written at least a part of each song he was credited for. Otherwise he wouldn't have been credited for it.

10 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

In the midst of this 'heated debate', my friend (who is a casual fan) messaged me this:

"Finally listening to the new blink album. So fucking good. Tom Delonge fucked up big time. I'm sure he already regrets bailing."

Lol ploy to get Mark Hoppus back on top yet in every interview he looks bored out of his mind.

I had similar experience with my friend who's just a casual..actually is into only really progressive meaningful shit or lesser known bands.

He told me to play it when I had it sitting in the car, shocked they had this new album out. I sent him bored to death a while ago and he was semi intrigued not fangirling like me (why I mass texted it..). He FREAKED at some of the songs, particularly Cynical, Kings of the Weekend, Built this Pool, SOOHM, & San Diego.  Like he was putting it full blast he was going nuts over Travis drumming and kept replaying these songs..we were on a 40 min drive he kept repeating it.  And word for word "holy shit Mark Hoppus got SO GOOD at singing, his vocals got so much better than what I remember on the self titled album". Next week they were playing a town away I asked if he wanted to spontaneously go..he was all in, we went. He loved it but was pissed they didn't play any new songs.

Thought I'd share.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

We can infer that Feldmann must have written at least a part of each song he was credited for. Otherwise he wouldn't have been credited for it.

Stump wrote 8 words and got a writing credit. 

I don't think we can infer anything on Feldmans writing contribution when it just as easily could have been they appreciated his influence and direction so much. Or he wrote the whole album. We don't know. We only know that they have not said "John wrote this part" even one time (afaik at least) but have said on multiple occasions what Stump wrote. 

2 minutes ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

I don't think we can infer anything on Feldmans writing contribution when it just as easily could have been they appreciated his influence and direction so much. Or he wrote the whole album. We don't know. We only know that they have not said "John wrote this part" even one time (afaik at least) but have said on multiple occasions what Stump wrote. 

It's easier for them to shout out Stump because he only wrote that one line. Feldmann wrote more so they won't mention each line he contributed with.

3 minutes ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

It's easier for them to shout out Stump because he only wrote that one line. Feldmann wrote more so they won't mention each line he contributed with.