California discussion

boxelder

I think what's happening with California is that people are confusing Feldmann's influence with Skiba's. Skiba's role in this album has been underrated because he has been quiet through everything.

If you listen to the two Sekrets albums, the best example of what Skiba sounds like on his own, you will hear a big pop influence and some stuff that definitely sounds like the work on California.

• Like 1

It's so poppy but I'm digging No Future. Been stuck in my head for days now. It almost sounds vintage blink at parts. Pretty good tune.

I was previously in the camp of "bring back the joke songs!" But I've reversed. Maybe I'm old now. The joke songs are forced and sad and I get the same feeling I got from hearing that California Golden Showers or whatever from Tom's demo. I cringe. They're no longer needed and a little pathetic. Save it for the shows.

I bet that MH - song from Neighborhoods is named how it is, because Mark was so fed up with the style they made songs and that record. "Not my band, fuck, if Tom wont contribute or comment this song, im not gonna fucking name it alone. "FILENAME" "

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CC182 said:

I bet that MH - song from Neighborhoods is named how it is, because Mark was so fed up with the style they made songs and that record. "Not my band, fuck, if Tom wont contribute or comment this song, im not gonna fucking name it alone. "FILENAME" "

Tom has said he likes that song title because he thinks it sounds like the name of a virus or something weird like that.

On 19 July 2016 at 2:52 AM, _Kyle_ said:

Up until that record, I pretty much liked every blink song ever. Even Strings

this was probably the biggest change for me also. it was the first time I didn't like every song on a blink album. gave me a really negative opinion of the album straight away. looking back now though, there's probably 5 songs off neighbourhoods that's I really enjoy and think are great blink songs.

On 19 July 2016 at 3:23 AM, M!ke said:

Every album from Cheshire through Untitled and now California have been incredibly coherent albums and lend themselves much more easily to a sit down-listening experience.  Neighborhoods is very much an album that I'll say, "Hey, I want to hear this song," and so I skip right to that song.  It's just not that enjoyable to listen to from start to finish because its all over the place without an overarching theme or feel keeping it all together.  

also this. 

Last week, my local dive bar played California in full. This week, it's my local Starbucks.

There was a point where I never thought I'd hear another Blink album in my lifetime. Now I hear them in popular places. Insane.

EDIT: Starbucks barista just skipped over Los Angeles mid-song to get to Sober. Thought you'd all get a kick out of that.

• Like 8