California discussion

boxelder

Guys, we're talking about two pop punk bands that have had strings of hits off of 3 power chords, they are both equally terrible, lucky and badass, lets just leave it at that. 

• Like 3

There are certain Green Day songs (hell, certain albums. I'll give them that) that I love, but some of their stuff feels a little too politically preachy to me which is kind of a turn-off.

Not as much of a turn-off as the bland music they've been putting out for the last decade though.

I'll criticize California and Neighborhoods all day but they're both infinitely more entertaining to listen to than anything Green Day has put out in the same time period.

Obviously as an active member of a blink-182 fan message board my opinion is a little biased, but still.

• Like 2

I love the Green Day vs blink topic, love both bands though a little more to the blink side due to nostalgia

About GD i think they were an amazing band from the start up untill Nimrod, Warning isnt that great, AI is mostly genius but lifted up their ego so much and now all they make sounds like a weaker version of AI

• Like 1

As much as I dislike blink fans for thinking green day are for emo 15 year old girls the same thing happens with green day fans acting like green day are like Beethoven compared to blink. Fan of both bands obviously and never understood the hate between the two fan bases for the other band.

1 minute ago, raw_sounds said:

AI is mostly genius but lifted up their ego so much and now all they make sounds like a weaker version of AI

Kinda agree with that.  It's kinda sad tbh.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Green day was like, "I guess it is time to grow up and act our age, oh shit, this isn't selling, well I guess it is time to take a trip to hot topic and be 30 something year old men who dress like we are teenagers"

And they never looked back.

But can I let you in on a little secret? Warning> AI

Green_Day_2000.jpg

I 100% agree with that but I despise AI so I'm not really the right one to argue, I've never been a green day fan overall anyway. I love some earlier singles and I adore Warning (album) but apart from that I have no interest

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petros said:

I have to say though I've put on California right now on shuffle after a long time and enjoy a lot of songs! I'm legit excited for the extended version or whatever now.

...didn't you spend weeks arguing with me, saying how god awful it was? Now you enjoy it and can't wait for the deluxe?

Just now, Ghent said:

...didn't you spend weeks arguing with me, saying how god awful it was? Now you enjoy it and can't wait for the deluxe?

Man I really didn't. You really must have mixed me with someone else. I loved the album when it first came out. Then thought it was boring for a while. The only time I maybe have been talking bad about blink was when Rabbit Hole was released and that's from where your sig quote is from I think. I wanted them to experiment a lot more and they kinda did with some good songs in this album. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kay said:

I 100% agree with that but I despise AI so I'm not really the right one to argue, I've never been a green day fan overall anyway. I love some earlier singles and I adore Warning (album) but apart from that I have no interest

Right, to be fair, I found myself singing along to some of the AI songs, but it was nothing special, certainly not deserving of the popularity, and the entire time I was asking myself "WTF happened to this band?", having seen them on the pop disaster tour and being a fan prior to all that shit.

People on here will deny it now, but most of this boards population was head over heels IN LOVE with AI, and never saw GD's move as being contrived. I remember the many fights I had with people on here who would swear up and down that the eye liner and makeup crap was "the real deal" most people bought that crap hook line and sinker. Wasn't until later that most started to see it for what it was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Right, to be fair, I found myself singing along to some of the AI songs, but it was nothing special, certainly not deserving of the popularity, and the entire time I was asking myself "WTF happened to this band?", having seen them on the pop disaster tour and being a fan prior to all that shit.

People on here will deny it now, but most of this boards population was head over heels IN LOVE with AI, and never saw GD's move as being contrived. I remember the many fights I had with people on here who would swear up and down that the eye liner and makeup crap was "the real deal" most people bought that crap hook line and sinker. Wasn't until later that most started to see it for what it was.

I still admit that I love American Idiot, and I still don't think the album itself is contrived (for the most part).  I admit that the 2 political songs can get a bit annoying, especially Holiday.  But people acted like the whole album was political and preachy, when in reality it was only 2 songs, and it was what they themselves were saying and doing at the time including in concert, but the reality is, it's about as political an album as Warning is, with exception to Holiday.  I always thought their look at the time was retarded, still do.  But I always managed to separate the music from the image, because at the end of the day all that mattered in regard to the band (for me anyway) was the music.  I don't hate the trilogy of albums because Billie Joe was acting like a drunk asshole at the time, I hate the trilogy of albums because the music is all bland and boring, nothing memorable at all to be found there in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I still admit that I love American Idiot, and I still don't think the album itself is contrived (for the most part).  I admit that the 2 political songs can get a bit annoying, especially Holiday.  But people acted like the whole album was political and preachy, when in reality it was only 2 songs, and it was what they themselves were saying and doing at the time including in concert, but the reality is, it's about as political an album as Warning is, with exception to Holiday.  I always thought their look at the time was retarded, still do.  But I always managed to separate the music from the image, because at the end of the day all that mattered in regard to the band (for me anyway) was the music.  I don't hate the trilogy of albums because Billie Joe was acting like a drunk asshole at the time, I hate the trilogy of albums because the music is all bland and boring, nothing memorable at all to be found there in my opinion.

I will agree that the album is really not all that political, I think it was just the whole "we hate Bush" movement that GD looked to capitalize on, and it was more in the interviews they gave about the situation. They are already starting with Trump. While I admit that some of what they said politically was indeed correct, when it comes to politics, they are pretty much retarded, and I really don't like musicians using it for fame etc especially when their political thoughts are at complete odds with them sucking the corporate dick. Whole thing is so fake.

Now that Trump will be President, a bunch of bands and artists are going to jump on the anti-Trump songs bandwagon and write shitty and uncreative anti-Trump songs, which will really suck for the music scene because no one will be coming up with original ideas. I don't care if these musicians want money or relevance--if they're going to make an anti-Trump song for money or relevance and it turns out to be a good song, more power to them. But that will rarely be the case imo, considering that jumping on the bandwagon in this case implies caring about profit over quality. An oversaturation of anti-Trump music is the last thing we need. Argh. 

• Like 3