California discussion

boxelder

1 hour ago, CuteBilly182 said:

2:51, yeah  I think it was his low floor tom tuned down, but it does sound very close to a double kick.

I really think they should attempt a double-kick esque song like ADTR

Fuck that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott. said:

When it's out in Japan I guess. 

Why do bands release tracks in certain countries? What's that about?

posted by Gortuk at 2:47 PM on June 16, 2004 @ http://ask.metafilter.com/8011/Why-do-the-Japanese-versions-of-albulms-always-seem-to-have-bonus-tracks-not-available-in-North-America

According to a friend who runs a small record label that occasionally does business in Japan: it's because it is invariably cheaper for Japanese buyers to import CDs rather than purchase them in their local record store. The extra tracks are there to provide an incentive for buying the domestic version. Without the extra tracks, Japanese retailers are reluctant to sell the CDs knowing that a large portion of the potential purchasers will simply be importing the product.

• Like 2

So up until this point, I had yet to give any opinion on the album other than that I liked it. I really can't contribute too much that hasn't already been said with the flaws. Overproduced, lacking guitars, blah blah blah. As of now, I give the album a 7/10. A couple random things I haven't seen said though: 

In teenage satellites in the verses, there are two piano notes at the end of one line in each verse. Why aren't the same notes played an octave higher at the end of the next line? It irks me everytime when that doesn't progress.

The guitars may be lacking, but I'll take any of it over what Mark contributed to Neighborhoods. If before they were with Feldmann, they were writing songs that sounded as bland tonally and melodically as MH 4...2011, hearts all gone, and fighting the gravity, then thank fuck they at least got a producer even if Feldmann wasn't the best choice. I still like Neighborhoods better overall, but anything on California is better than those songs imo.

My album order:

untitled

enema

neighborhoods

california/TOYPAJ

dude ranch

cheshire

My song order:

1. No Future

2. Cynical

3. She's out of her Mind

4. Sober

5. San Diego

Quality Gap Good/Okay

6. Kings of the Weekend

7. Left Alone

8. Bored to Death

9. Teenage Satellites

10. Rabbit Hole

11. California

Quality Gap to Meh/Bad

12. The Only Thing That Matters

13. Home Is Such a Lonely Place

14. Los Angeles

The last two songs I have no desire to really ever listen to again, but everything else I think is at least worth a listen when going through the album. Still so bummed at the length of cynical though although I get how it works as an intro. Would be my favorite track if it had another verse, bridge slowed down like the intro, and another chorus. With that said though, cynical is where this band needs to go in the future. It's progressive, melodic, and not too poppy. If the rest of the album was like that song, it might have rivaled untitled and almost all seem to agree that cynical is the standout or at least have it in their top three so the band clearly did something right with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Better get used to hearing Home notnow, it's gonna explode on the radio, guaranteed. Top 2 song on the album for me

Kill me now. I actually love the instrumentation and the verses. The chorus just kills the entire song for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Kill me now. I actually love the instrumentation and the verses. The chorus just kills the entire song for me.

Same here, who would've ever thought the cheesiest most boy-band-ish chorus in the band's history would come from Skiba!? haha

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Better get used to hearing Home notnow, it's gonna explode on the radio, guaranteed. Top 2 song on the album for me

What radio stations are going to play this though? I don't see a lot of the Top 40 stations playing it much and neither the alternative stations that I usually listen to. I can see KROQ playing it because its blink and they have a good relationship with them. Songs like Left Alone and San Diego would be much better suited for alt rock stations.

To be honest though, I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to. I have KROQ on in the car when im driving around but I usually listen to my iPod. I'm not sure if different cities are more inclined to play certain bands and songs more often? I've lived in about 5 cities over the last 8 years and rarely hear blink being played.

14 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Top 5 from this album are. 

Sober

Left Alone

San Diego

California

Cynical

I'm gonna say:

Home

Sober

Cynical

San Diego

The Only Thing That Matters

--

Would probably be listing BTD and Rabbit Hole if I hadn't already listened to them into the ground.