California discussion

boxelder

a bit funny, when people talking about cali as it could be. none of this makes any sense. we have blink-182 - california, and a lot of people all over the world love it. nothing's good enough for you, guys. you really don't let up, do you? i mean, california become a fait accompli and nothing will change. we can talk as much as we can about bad sides of cali, about bad work with feldy or etc, but cali can break all the frames.

• Like 1

California is blink. The only albums that don't sound like blink are Untitled and Neighbourhoods. If this had Tom on vocals nobody would say "doesn't sound like blink" simple as that. 

The only non blink thing on the album are the group vocals and maybe the lack of riffs but Tom is absent so we gave that up. No chance id take that wanker back for another neighbourhoods

• Like 6

I think the main problem with this and every blink fan debate/discussion anywhere is that you have a very vocal minority of people who militantly fucking hate Tom and all things AVA.  They want him and his entire post-reunion catalog burned to the ground, and the ground salted where the ashes fell.  They will never get over it. 

Then you have people who are militantly Tom people who won't let shit lie when the militant anti-Tom folks constantly destroy their hero.  Both parties are cunts, on the whole, and kind of ruin the experience for everybody.

Neighborhoods and DED are okay works that blink has no reason to be disappointed in or necessarily overly proud of.  They were albums/EPs that are a part of the band's story now, and even though they are well in the past, both the anti-Tom and pro-Tom clowns will continue their blood feud over reminding everybody how fucking terrible/awesome those albums were.  It is the biggest circle jerk debate in all of pop-punk history.

This album was a step forward and two steps back in a lot of ways. I don't hate it, but leaves a lot t to be desired in my opinion. It's got catchy-ness and energy. I just think it doesn't have the sonic aesthetics I'd prefer from them. Especially considering Matt Skiba being added to the mix. I think they wanted something they know they could easily do and not challenge their listeners. For the most part it has paid off and they've usurped the popularity of Neighborhoods. It's still actively regressive and pandering though. Blink is already poppy enough, but this is like adding fake sweetener to a donut.

Mark has openly stated he isn't good at change or being out of his comfort zone, which is concurrent with Tom is now. Ironic huh? WYHSB was not super successful and I wonder if that has a lot to do with what we're hearing now...

• Like 1

How can it not be blink when it says "blink 182" right there on the cover? If you were expecting some kind of an evolution rather than a reboot then your expectations were unreasonable. The band has a new lineup, and Matt has given the band a sound that's new but also respectful of the band's legacy. California was never going to be filled with Delongesque riffs. I hope the next album is similar in tone, because one thing I dread is a "dark & experimental" album by Mark Hoppus.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Ghent said:

A lot of people hated untitled when it came out. The fans that couldn't take it eventually left, as the new group settled in.

I have high hopes for the next generation of blink fans. And can't wait for the pessimistic ass hats around here to finally piss off.

Now you are being just as whiny as the people who are trashing it "Wah Wah, you can only say great things if you've been a loyal Blink fan for 15 fucking years and don't like this one piss off"

LOL

• Like 2

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

Not a fan of WYHSB then?

WYHSB is probably objectively speaking a good album and would probably be considered by most serious people above anything done by AvA, but I cannot listen to it because it's so downbeat. It's not that I dislike any particular song but it's just the general tone of the album that makes it a turnoff. It's almost like something by a Finnish rock band.

• Like 1

I wouldn't see the problem at all with Mark and Matt's pre-Feldy "darker" songs being made into an EP.  Could be a fun thing to put out before Halloween but doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be 5 or 6 songs of Mark singing over what a shitheel Tom is. 

i wouldn't say people hated Untitled, more like were confused what to do with it. Later they fell in love with it for a reason, cause it was new, unique, nobody did anything like that and it was def. a grower and awesome record. Untitled still stand by time. 

California on the other hand is good, but it's just TOYPAJ without riffs and sounds pretty much like every modern pop/punk bandbut blink did it better. It's good that they are having fun and back to the game, but at the same time they set the pressure for the next record. No mercy for the next nana's and whoas with generic sound. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Couldn't disagree more man. California is blink through and through. The more I hear it, the more confident I am in that. It's way more blink than anything post hiatus, that's for sure.

Don't agree. It's a good album,  but it retains very little of any of their previous work. Perhaps the things that stands out the most as Blink is Travis' drumming. Feldman tried to change just about everything, but he couldn't change the drumming. 

But Matt ain't the problem here, I don't miss Tom, I miss Jerry Finn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, b00bies said:

California on the other hand is good, but it's just TOYPAJ without riffs and sounds pretty much like every modern pop/punk bandbut blink did it better. It's good that they are having fun and back to the game, but at the same time they set the pressure for the next record. No mercy for the next nana's and whoas with generic sound. 

The major difference is that TOYPAJ, the worst blink album, consists of the band forcing themselves to write the kind of songs they think are expected of them, while on California it finally sounds like they're enjoying themselves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Don't agree. It's a good album,  but it retains very little of any of their previous work. Perhaps the things that stands out the most as Blink is Travis' drumming. Feldman tried to change just about everything, but he couldn't change the drumming. 

But Matt ain't the problem here, I don't miss Tom, I miss Jerry Finn.

It sounds more like blink than Neighborhoods, DED, and one could even argue Untitled.

Fits perfectly on their discography

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Scott. said:

California is blink. The only albums that don't sound like blink are Untitled and Neighbourhoods. If this had Tom on vocals nobody would say "doesn't sound like blink" simple as that. 

The only non blink thing on the album are the group vocals and maybe the lack of riffs but Tom is absent so we gave that up. No chance id take that wanker back for another neighbourhoods

I wouldn't say that.  Untitled definitely sounds like blink, Neighborhoods does too.  Those albums sound like blink because they were blink pushing their sounds further, just as I'd say the Enema/TOYPAJ albums were pushing the blink sound further from where they had been with Cheshire and Dude Ranch.  It's like looking at the earliest Beatles albums and then their final albums, they are very different sounds, but still undeniably the same band because they pushed their sounds further.

I understand the criticism that this album can be seen as a regression or at least doesn't push the sounds of blink further.  Ultimately that's pretty much true.  But that doesn't have to be a bad thing.  To try and do what they did with Untitled and actually top that album is not going to be an easy task, they tried and really didn't succeed at that with Neighborhoods. If they tried again but with a new member in Tom's spot, that's a hell of a lot of pressure, "Hey, we're going to try and top our magnum opus, you've barely done anything with us, you ready?  If this is a failure, all the fans are probably going to place the blame squarely on you since you're new and we just kicked out a guy."  Under that logic, it's no wonder they took the safe and perhaps easier route of just putting out a solid fun pop-punk album.  Considering how many songs they had prepped and created with Feldmann, its probably a safe bet that the next album will be somewhere in the same vein as California.  However, once I think Skiba has firmly settled in and I suspect after the next full album, I imagine they will try and top Untitled again, they aren't dumb they recognize the universal praise that album got, they play  more songs from that album each night than any other album when they play live.  I have no doubt they will go down that route again of trying to make another album like Untitled, I just don't think that they believe now is the right time for that, and I tend to agree if that is indeed the case.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I wouldn't say that.  Untitled definitely sounds like blink, Neighborhoods does too.  Those albums sound like blink because they were blink pushing their sounds further, just as I'd say the Enema/TOYPAJ albums were pushing the blink sound further from where they had been with Cheshire and Dude Ranch.  It's like looking at the earliest Beatles albums and then their final albums, they are very different sounds, but still undeniably the same band because they pushed their sounds further.

I understand the criticism that this album can be seen as a regression or at least doesn't push the sounds of blink further.  Ultimately that's pretty much true.  But that doesn't have to be a bad thing.  To try and do what they did with Untitled and actually top that album is not going to be an easy task, they tried and really didn't succeed at that with Neighborhoods. If they tried again but with a new member in Tom's spot, that's a hell of a lot of pressure, "Hey, we're going to try and top our magnum opus, you've barely done anything with us, you ready?  If this is a failure, all the fans are probably going to place the blame squarely on you since you're new and we just kicked out a guy."  Under that logic, it's no wonder they took the safe and perhaps easier route of just putting out a solid fun pop-punk album.  Considering how many songs they had prepped and created with Feldmann, its probably a safe bet that the next album will be somewhere in the same vein as California.  However, once I think Skiba has firmly settled in and I suspect after the next full album, I imagine they will try and top Untitled again, they aren't dumb they recognize the universal praise that album got, they play  more songs from that album each night than any other album when they play live.  I have no doubt they will go down that route again of trying to make another album like Untitled, I just don't think that they believe now is the right time for that, and I tend to agree if that is indeed the case.

How dare you offer an objective, well-thought-out opinion?

If you were to compare Dude Ranch and Neighborhoods you'd recognize bits here and bits there (Boring riff = EISF riff, Lemmings = HAG), but overall the separation would be even larger than it is between Neighborhoods and California.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Explain then how these songs differ. I mean, explain it simple for dunces like myself. Unless you have a better critique than the "tone" is different (hint, it's not) then you're just splitting hairs about upbeat pop-rock with very similar styles. The fact the vocals on both those GC tracks are more pronounced is another reason.

There's a lot of people here who can't handle criticism and are weirdly insecure about themselves and what they like.

No, it's nothing to do with criticism, it just honestly is something someone would say with the absolute most lacking detail of musical ear. Like you should just listen to the radio and not dig into music if you honestly think good Charlotte sounds similar enough to go on any Blink album. 

This isn't even in the Nirvana, Stone Temple pilots, Pearl Jam, Verve Pipe have similarities range. Which I feel you're reaching for.

1. Vocals: the most glaring difference. Mark and Matt sound incredibly different from GC, at all times.

2. Guitar & Bass: Blink is known for leading with heavy bass lines. Their guitar tone is vastly heavier as well, that song you posted I don't think Skibba ever gets as high as even on no future bridge. Blink often plays E/A power chords and falsettos, GC plays like D string power chords.

3. Song Structure: Sure Blink focused heavily on choruses in California, but that song is 100% hanging around the chorus at all times, where's the slowed down bridge, where's the verses?

4. DRUMS: Every single Blink song is set apart from all other bands, especially GC, because of Travis' complex drums that stand out every song. Even if Blink managed to write something this light and poppy and strictly for teenage girls (admittingly I don't mind it, but Blink writes for a much bigger range - teens, college, young adults like me, even 40 year olds wanting to be a bit hipper get into blink), the track would undoubtedly be edgier and different because of Travis. Take it the drums in Sober and it's pretty ehh poppy, but you can't. It's part of the song, and it makes it pretty cool overall 

5. History: Blink has a large history of being edgier, more punk, and a lot just love who they are. That makes a difference. When they make a poppy song it's not as redundant as GC who simply only goes for that. That's their sound. Blink mixes it up. Rabbit hole, BTD, TOTTM, Los Angeles, Cynical, joke songs, No Future, hey I'm sorry, San Diego DO exist in this album. 

• Like 1