California discussion

boxelder

Just now, Ghent said:

too "punk rock," too "elitist," too "hip"...each of which is equally stupid.

feldmann helped them write a fucking awesome album. he got 20% writing credits on most of the songs. WHO CARES? if it's good, that's all that matters. It would be different if he actually wrote entire songs for them just to be performed lol. that's not what happened at all. They sat in a room together and brainstormed ideas and Feldmann helped out.

You think Jerry Finn didn't do anything like that? Also- don't you realize Jerry Finn COMPLETELY altered blink's sound and turned them into a poppy band on Enema? that was okay, but Feldmann bringing them back to pop punk is some kind of disaster?

yeah, because Jerry Finn was one of the best producers to ever exist. i don't think he made them poppy. i think he just brought out the best in them. he did the same thing for AFI, which was an even bigger transition for that band. If he was like Feldmann, he would have made AFI and every other band he worked with sound like blink.  I don't think Jerry wrote anything for the bands he produced because I'm pretty sure he was just a drummer, not a songwriter. Feldmann is a guitarist and vocalist. 

to say he "completely" altered blink is such a massive exaggeration. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, dyls5 said:

Put Mark and Matt's vocals on that song and some Blink fans on here would be frothing all over it saying it sounds like classic Blink.

I don't know how many times I have to say that modern pop-punk would be enjoyable if they all had singers I could enjoy like Mark and Matt.  The biggest problem with most of these modern pop-punk bands is that almost all of them have god awful singers with voices like that of nails on a chalkboard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

yeah, because Jerry Finn was one of the best producers to ever exist. i don't think he made them poppy. i think he just brought out the best in them. he did the same thing for AFI, which was an even bigger transition for that band. If he was like Feldmann, he would have made AFI and every other band he worked with sound like blink.  I don't think Jerry wrote anything for the bands he produced because I'm pretty sure he was just a drummer, not a songwriter. Feldmann is a guitarist and vocalist. 

I agree with this, but also the sentiment that Finn made Blink poppy. The transition from Dude Ranch to Enema was a pretty big one in terms of how poppy their sound became.

However, he did not doctor the shit out of their vocals to the point that you knew it was fake and they won't be able to recreate it live. Feldmann did that many, many times on this album. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

Blink pre-Enema is borderline unrecognizable compared to what came out of them once Jerry Finn entered the team. He turned them into a pop band. It was a massive change in sound.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I agree with this, but also the sentiment that Finn made Blink poppy. The transition from Dude Ranch to Enema was a pretty big one in terms of how poppy their sound became.

However, he did not doctor the shit out of their vocals to the point that you knew it was fake and they won't be able to recreate it live. Feldmann did that many, many times on this album. 

Indeed, you can see the difference that Jerry brought to the table with the original version of Mutt and the version that was on Enema.  He made them more poppy, but thats not a bad thing.  

As to your last point, you do realize that they had to rerecord everything but the drums and banter for the MTATS album right?  That may well be the fakest live album there has ever been (still super enjoyable though), point is, they couldn't even recreate those vocals live, they've never been great singers (Mark was always better than Tom though, especially when it came to live singing), but at least now you're left with singers that actually give a damn and at least try at the live performances.

I definitely understand if you don't love California, or even hate it.

But some of these delusions you guys come up just so you can hate the album are seriously mind-blowing. 

If you've simply grown out of the band just admit it; at this point some of you even sound like Spacelord Delonge himself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Blink pre-Enema is borderline unrecognizable compared to what came out of them once Jerry Finn entered the team. He turned them into a pop band. It was a massive change in sound.

considering the fact that "Mutt" was recorded once before Finn's involvement and "Anthem" was also written and performed live prior to Enema, i wouldn't call those songs borderline unrecognizable by any means. the songs hardly even changed by the time he recorded them.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Travis absolutely differentiates Blink from pretty much every other band. His drums aren't just the backing of the sound they are literally the lead and driving point at times. No other band really does that it's incredibly important to keeping their unique formula

It's what made Dude Ranch so awesome!

I wouldn't say that JF changed them that much, at most he smoothed out their rough patches. I think Jerry Finn knows how to make a band sound like themselves and elevate them and create more depth where there usually isn't. If you listen to John Feldmann's podcast on HMNIM, he basically molds the bands to fit what he does best. He basically puts bands in pop-rock radio boot camp. I think he did the same with Blink.

3 minutes ago, M!ke said:

As to your last point, you do realize that they had to rerecord everything but the drums and banter for the MTATS album right?  That may well be the fakest live album there has ever been (still super enjoyable though), point is, they couldn't even recreate those vocals live, they've never been great singers (Mark was always better than Tom though, especially when it came to live singing), but at least now you're left with singers that actually give a damn and at least try at the live performances.

I don't think this is a good comparable since one is a "live" album that was doctored to make pre-existing songs sound good, the other is a stand-alone album that will be difficult to play live in the future. Your example is existing songs > fake live album; mine is new album > real live performances. I get what you're saying, they have struggled to play their songs live in the past, but it's not the same situation. 

But aside from that, it's more concerning now because they're in their mid 40s and already strain their voices live. Mark can barely play Bored to Death live and it's not even the most demanding or doctored/auto-tuned song from the new album. 

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I wouldn't say that JF changed them that much, at most he smoothed out their rough patches. I think Jerry Finn knows how to make a band sound like themselves and elevate them and create more depth where there usually isn't. If you listen to John Feldmann's podcast on HMNIM, he basically molds the bands to fit what he does best. He basically puts bands in pop-rock radio boot camp. I think he did the same with Blink.

Heads up for future posting.. John and Jerry have the same initials

If our main complaint is the production, which it is clearly, maybe that's a good thing? Just a positive spin here. When a new release comes, there's ALWAYS something to bitch about ..and more critical as time goes on with more releases. It's part of the game.

The last album FOR ME the biggest complaint was how ridiculous Tom's vocals were at times and the past TWO how depressed and mellowed Marks vocals were compared to his energetic previous efforts that I loved from him.  THOSE are huge complaints, vocals are everything. I firmly believe Mark's vocals are the best we've heard since TOYPAJ (+44 and Untitled had its moments but not as consistent).  Feldman probably assisted in bringing that out in him.

I hate the Whoa's, I really do hate them. But I think that's he only heavy issue that can easily be fixed, or even overlooked, which is a much better problem than entire vocals throughout or not having an album at all..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thongrider said:

I love the whoa's and nanana's!

Me too.  Perhaps its a cheap trick, but I've always liked them, I liked them going all the way back to The Beatles with songs like Hey Jude to a younger blink with ATST, and I love it all over this album.  I'll admit there is plenty of music out there with NaNaNas and Whoa oh ohs that just don't work, for me I can't think of an instance on this album where I don't enjoy hem.

• Like 1

The na's and whoa's are my biggest gripes with the album, but even those aren't all that bad. In songs like BtD & Teenage Satellites it actually fits pretty well. There are some songs, like No Future and maybe California, where I thought they could have gone with lyrics instead of them, but all in all the instrumentation sounds great, the vocals are fantastic, and it has that energy that blink albums always seem to have.

Jerry Finn produced and worked with the likes Green Day, Blink, Jawbreaker, Pennywise, Rancid, AFI, The Offspring, Alkaline Trio, MxPx and Morrisey. Feldmann has produced Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff, 5SOS, Boys Like Girls, All Time Low, Avici, P!ATD and Good Charlotte and some awful scene bands. I know which category I want blink to sound like and Hilary Duff ain't in it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Emil said:

Jerry Finn produced and worked with the likes Green Day, Blink, Jawbreaker, Pennywise, Rancid, AFI, The Offspring, Alkaline Trio, MxPx and Morrisey. Feldmann has produced Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff, 5SOS, Boys Like Girls, All Time Low, Avici, P!ATD and Good Charlotte and some awful scene bands. I know which category I want blink to sound like and Hilary Duff ain't in it. 

Yeah that was my biggest problem with this album; it sounds just like Hillary Duff!

• Like 9