California discussion

boxelder

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

i can't believe people think those numbers are representing the real songwriting percents. it's obviously just a legal thing. feldmann's help was probably 1-2% on each song, but he got 20% credit. matt was probably almost equal as mark and travis (so it should have been 25-30%), but he's the new guy, maybe just a temporary member, so he got about 15%.

people should learn that money overwrites facts.

I wasn't quoting the numbers as fact.    That is however how they are allowing it to be represented legally.   And in that representation mark has the lowest percent of credit.   

Is that mark being modest and not giving a fuck?  Possibly.   It clearly meant something to feldman

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

Don't understand 1-2%. If he was only writing 1-2%, every producer would receive a songwriting credit.

the point is that feldmann was in a somewhat special position that made him able to get a bigger share from the songs than he would have deserved.

i guess this special position was the fact that the label (or the band) invited him in the last minute, 3 months before they had to finish the album. (bands usually ask someone to be their producer a year before the record has to be done.) when you are asked to do an urgent job, you have the chance to ask some extra money/credit.

Yeah...it's not passing the smell test.

enjoys the album, three days later learns that the producer was a co-writer...returns to boards calling everyone who likes the album fanboy idiots..

I mean at least the other haters decided they didn't like the album before they even heard it! 

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

I mean at least the other haters decided they didn't like the album before they even heard it! 

i think you seem to think that anyone that dislikes the album hasn't listened to it enough or decided they would hate it beforehand. i was optimistic, have listened to it countless times, enjoy it, but find it lacking/almost bad. plenty of other posters have also offered well thought-out reasons as to why they don't like it. the only thing we seem to be getting from you is "it's great!! *holds hands over ears* LA LA LA LA LA"

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

The truth, which has been stated, is that no one really knows how much Feldman contributed to the album. But when you examine the FACTS of the situation, it would appear, quite a bit IMO.

Spot on.

Then you lose me with your FACTS

1 minute ago, boxelder said:

i think you seem to think that anyone that dislikes the album hasn't listened to it enough or decided they would hate it beforehand. i was optimistic, have listened to it countless times, enjoy it, but find it lacking/almost bad. plenty of other posters have also offered well thought-out reasons as to why they don't like it. the only thing we seem to be getting from you is "it's great!! *holds hands over ears* LA LA LA LA LA"

What's really amusing is that he and others decided they would like this no matter what a long time ago.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blink182life-4life said:

What's really amusing is that he and others decided they would like this no matter what a long time ago.   

i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, that if it were over-the-top poppy they'd recoil a bit. i just wish they would understand where we're coming from instead of being so hostile towards people with more negative opinions

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Honestly Oliver, have you heard the album more than once or twice? 

What the fuck?

I have about 80% of the songs lyrics memorized at this point, even sober unfortunately..... so i dont even know what you are talking about.

I really have tried to force myself to like it, when my mind says "hit the skip button" i tell myself not too and i dont hate it, i like some of it, but its likely one of their worst imo.

45 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah...it's not passing the smell test.

enjoys the album, three days later learns that the producer was a co-writer...returns to boards calling everyone who likes the album fanboy idiots..

i do like some of it, but it is their weakest imo, and a lot of the dislike is that it is so poppy and has no edge at all.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

Spot on.

Then you lose me with your FACTS

fact#1: they added tons of whoas and lalalas, and EQd voices, pop sounds not present on previous albums.

Who do YOU think decided that? people who have no history of such things, or a guy who writes for boy bands? think about that one

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, boxelder said:

i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, that if it were over-the-top poppy they'd recoil a bit. i just wish they would understand where we're coming from instead of being so hostile towards people with more negative opinions

The over the top defensiveness that comes off makes me feel like no matter what they'd love this record. Truth be told quite a few tracks have been played over and over again ever since the leak.   But there's some that I just hate and skip.   I try and keep my opinions fair instead of blind admiration 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

fact#1: they added tons of whoas and lalalas, and EQd voices, pop sounds not present on previous albums.

Who do YOU think decided that? people who have no history of such things, or a guy who writes for boy bands? think about that one

i'm glad you moved from "feldmann wrote the songs" to "feldmann suggested to add whoas and made the sound polished". it's probably true, so it's more acceptable criticism.

i doubt it has anything to do with feldmann's boyband history anyway. i still think he was asked by the label to make an album with the blink guys that would be the 2016 equivalent of enema of the state. (jerry finn worked 1999's pop into blink's sound; john feldmann tried to add something from 2016. for a blink fan the results sound a bit too sugarcoated, but for an average listener, it sounds like something from this era of pop music. plus guitars, drums, bass. and obviously neither mark, nor matt sound like a fucking popstar, their vocals can be polished to death, and they are still punk-rock voices.)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

i'm glad you moved from "feldmann wrote the songs" to "feldmann suggested to add whoas and made the sound polished". it's probably true, so it's more acceptable criticism.

i doubt it has anything to do with feldmann's boyband history anyway. i still think he was asked by the label to make an album with the blink guys that would be the 2016 equivalent of enema of the state. (jerry finn worked 1999's pop into blink's sound; john feldmann tried to add something from 2016. for a blink fan the results sound a bit too sugarcoated, but for an average listener, it sounds like something from this era of pop music. plus guitars, drums, bass. and obviously neither mark, nor matt sound like a fucking popstar, their vocals can be polished to death, and they are still punk-rock voices.)

I never said Feldman wrote the entire thing. I also said it had Blink moments. But still, Feldman helped write it, and again, it is my opinion  that his help was mostly a negative, and he turned what could have been an alternative album like Untitled, or a more pop punk/Plus 44 album, into a polished pop album.

If he was going for Enema, he failed badly, this is not a bit like Enema. You could play the first 30 seconds of Dumpweed and just hear that and know California and Enema are on 2 different planets.

I don't think Feldman was going for Enema, I think he was going for bubblegum pop with a touch of Blink 182 that would SELL. With that he succeded, the songs are cathcy, they get stuck in the mind, but some aren't all that good, they are annoying catchy almost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

And on Untitled it was the first time they repeated the song titles over and over in the song - Feeling This, I Miss You, Down, Go. Must have been Jerry Finn who decided on that.

18 minutes ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

And on Untitled it was the first time they repeated the song titles over and over in the song - Feeling This, I Miss You, Down, Go. Must have been Jerry Finn who decided on that.

what in the fuck ^^ that is the most retarded crap i've ever read. and any of these songs you've listed blows california out of water easily. yeah, you keep believe that their next record will change somehow. mark would love to write albums like california forever. 

• Like 1