California discussion

boxelder

12 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

You guys are right, Come Out And Play came out a few months before Self Esteem.

come out and play was the lead single for the album's debut in march 94. self esteem was december 22, 1994 (making it, essentially, the band's big 1995 single).

3 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

They were as big as Blink briefly during their Fat Lip days, where I'm from.

all killer no filler made #13 on billboard; sold less than two million copies. they were certainly not popular in socal, but then again by the time fat lip came out i was 24-25 (so not really their audience). certainly not influential though. not in the slightest.

I was only 1-2 years old when Smash came out. But the Offspring are or at least were definitely huge over here in UK. Most people associate them with Pretty Fly For a White Guy & Why Don't You Get a Job?

In 2001 or whatever year it was, I remember Want You Bad & Original Prankster getting overplayed on TV stations like Kerrang, MTV and shit too. They were definitely huge. People still talk about them now and then but more like in a "do they still make albums?" way. Sum 41 were massive in like 2001 and 2002 as well. In Too Deep, The Hell Song, Motivation, Fat Lip all were huge.

Although I live in UK, where I live is a pretty deserted scene for music. Especially nowadays. But back in the early 2000s people still appreciated proper bands. Good Charlotte were pretty big in 2002 here too. New Found Glory & Bowling for Soup are the "one hit wonders" at least in my area anyway. Take it with a pinch of salt though, you can never judge a bands popularity when it comes to the town I live in.

Blink don't have the respect where I live. They're very well known but most people still think of them as some boy band, not realising the All the Small Things video was a parody of boy band videos. I MIss You is the only song by blink that is more out there, but that's liked by the emo kids or the pop crowd or the people that try to be hipsters. Nobody knows too much about the smiley face album, which is a shame because IMO it's better than American Idiot. Still, I adore American Idiot.

American idiot over here is like one of those famed legendary albums in the area I live whereas the smiley face album is just unheard unless you're a blink fan. Like I say, where I live isn't a true example of how popular these bands are in UK. My town may as well be its own weird country.

I remember when I had a job (which was like one time), everyone at work's favorite band was the Offspring and this was around the time when the Rise and Fall thing came out and I was like "I just bought their new album" and everyone was like "They have a new album?" and I was like "yeah...it's alright". 

• Like 1

People over here (my town, not the UK) still think blink-182 broke up in 2005 despite the fact they reunited at the grammy awards in 2009, recorded two albums and an EP, had another split with Tom leaving. California got number one in the charts over here if I remember correctly yet my town doesn't realise this. Even has a nomination for the grammy awards and everyone still hasn't heard of it. Obviously I'm not speaking for everyone where I live, but blink are never spoken about in casual conversations when it comes to music.

There are people who know they're still around but majority of people just turn a blind eye toward blink and the Offspring. People are starting to act this way with Green Day too. 21st Century Breakdown was the last album that had some notice in my town.

45 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

all killer no filler made #13 on billboard; sold less than two million copies.

only a year earlier enema sold five million in the states and eventually got to 15 million. blink definitely dwarfs any other band in sales,  which is a good indicator of influence

Offspring were fucking huge, I got into them the same time as blink due to a neighbors album collection. Conspiracy Of One is still one of my fave records of all time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

all killer no filler made #13 on billboard; sold less than two million copies. they were certainly not popular in socal, but then again by the time fat lip came out i was 24-25 (so not really their audience). certainly not influential though. not in the slightest.

They seemed pretty darn big in the Midwest, we don't have the punk rock history of so Cal though.  I'm also younger than you, so they hit my market as hard as the rest during their brief stint (popularity wise). Never said they were influential, just very popular in my school days. 

Fat Lip just made us teens feel so edgy! They are so cheesy looking back. Glad Blink has staying power with me. Humor is more timeless.

Who has sold more records worldwide blink or The Offspring?

In Latinamerica The Offspring was big during Conspiracy of one, then kinda dissapear..I am a big early Offspring fan, Smash is one of my favorites records of all time. They came to Venezuela in 2004 too bad i was too young still 13 or 14.

Green Day was probably well known during the 90´s but mostly for people who listen to rock music, with American Idiot they got extremely huge i remember people who never listen to rock talking about their videos and stuff, from 20 CB they have stay more as a pop band.

Enema of the State was almost as huge as American Idiot, mostly due to the funny videos everyone was talking about, blink was very popular until the 2005 break up, from there most people forgot or lost interest in them.

14 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i suppose it depends on how you define "pop punk."

to me, that's music in the punk rock spirit (distorted guitars, barre chords, fast tempo) that uses the melodic and harmonic structure of pop music. by that definition, bad religion and all the bands that followed in their footsteps would be "pop punk" (and bands like the sex pistols and black flag would not). 

But Bad Religion is coming from the hardcore scene, along with the likes of Black Flag, Circle Jerks, The Adolescents, TSOL. How could hell be any worse or Suffer are not what I call pop punk but I get your point. I'm not saying that Screeching Weasel were more important, because it's not true, but all the bands like The Queers, Lillingtons, Teenage Bottlerocket, The Riverdale or The Methadones say that SW were their main influence (even though it's more The Ramones imho) 

I was never into The Offspring, they have a few cool songs here and there but that's it. They were big here in Italy, last summer they sold out two big shows over here but I never get all the love for them, I think it's only because they were that famous and mainstream back in the day. 

I kind of like this test your memory which song made them big thing.. so Come Out and Play was Offspring 

without looking..

Blink: Dammit (big), WMAA (massive)

Green Day: Basket Case (big)? Time of your Life (massive)?

Sum 41: Fat Lip   

Fall out boy (lol): Sugar We're going down?

5 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

You're Gonna Go Far Kid is their biggest song on Spotify...why I have no clue.

i would guess because it's the classic offspring chord progression they often employ on their faster, punk beat tracks that are not slow enough for radio. but you're gonna go far kid IS radio tempo, so the spotify kids get the chords they want at the slow tempo they prefer.

The Offspring worldwide sales are way above blink's. Counting US only or non-US countries only the result is the same, actually. The fact The Offspring had two juggernauts (Smash and Americana), while blink had one (Enema Of the State) explains a lot.

I'd like to add that some of the sales info in blink's wikipedia is ridiculously inflationated. There's no way EOTS sold 15 millions worldwide considering it only sold 4.5 million copies in the US, just like there's no way TOYPAJ reached the 14 million mark when their home country sales are around 2.5 million. If you take into account their certifications in the rest of the world and the size of those markets, it simply doesn't add up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fran.182 said:

I'd like to add that some of the sales info in blink's wikipedia is ridiculously inflationated. There's no way EOTS sold 15 millions worldwide considering it only sold 4.5 million copies in the US, just like there's no way TOYPAJ reached the 14 million mark when their home country sales are around 2.5 million. If you take into account their certifications in the rest of the world and the size of those markets, it simply doesn't add up.

all the citations on their page link to legit sources with regards to record sales.

28 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

all the citations on their page link to legit sources with regards to record sales.

Most of those figures came from wikipedia in the first place - I've been following it. Lazy journalism...

Trust me, I'm a chart/sales freak and those numbers aren't real.

The estimations in the fourth post of this thread are more credible: https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54450

(Self-titled sold at least one million more than that, though; also that's from 2008, so those numbers are not up to date.)