California discussion

boxelder

1 minute ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

You know what makes this album better than your standard pop punk album? Freaking Hoppus and Skiba are singing on it.

They're also 100X the song writers that bands like ATL are.

Yeah, they're singing on it alright. With the exact same vocal style and style of production that can be found on your "standard pop punk" album.

And yes they are, but sure as hell didn't show it on this album.

Matt Skiba, 1998, 1999:

"Put down like a teeanger's first drink"

"I want to wake up naked next to you, kissing the curve in your clavicle"

"I sink deep, 3,000 ft, into my window seat, electric chair"

"A lonely liver suspended in liquid"

"I'm nose over tail for you"

Mark Hoppus, 1997,1999:

"Well I guess this is growing up"

"I'll teach myself to live with a walk on part of a background shot from a movie I'm not in"

"I said, "Don't let your future be destroyed by my past."
She said, "Don't let my door hit your ass.""

None of the lyrics on this album have the wit or personality that I loved these guys for. They are generic, thoughtless, and even cringey at times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, decisions said:

None of the lyrics on this album have the wit or personality that I loved these guys for. They are generic, thoughtless, and even cringey at times.

i'd tend to agree. there's nothing like the lyrical amazingness of early alkaline or blink songs like apple shampoo to be found on california.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i'd tend to agree. there's nothing like the lyrical amazingness of early alkaline or blink songs like apple shampoo to be found on california.

Yup.

My expectations for these two guys: "I've got it now, a thorn in my side the size of a Cadillac"

What we got: "It's Friday night, let's lose our minds in a downward spiral here we go, cuz we've got no control"

:/

EDIT: The Los Angeles verses blow me away in the worst way. How is that Blink? The chorus is fine but damn I can't believe how FOB the verses are.