California Press, Articles, and Interviews

Chewy030

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

True. But what is still a total mistery to me is why the hell the BCR songs were not a blink record. I can guess some label shit going on (rumours are about the label frcing them to go on the EnemaPart 2 with TOYPAJ), but if they broke that with Untitled, I don't see why Tom decided to release that bulk of song out of blink.

they've both admitted MCA wanted them to play it a little safe. and mark, hoping for enema part 2, was fine with it, but tom wasn't. i think with mark's desire for that, he thought he had to go do an experiment like BCR, which evolved from just recording bullshit into a full-fledged band with tours and money and a label. it was an accident basically, one tom seemed to regret, and one mark flipped out over it, albeit not without reason.

as for untitled, it's my theory that mark became more interested in pursuing a new direction for blink because of BCR, and seeing that tom wanted to do something different. even still, mark's songs on untitled are still more straightforward, like go or here's your letter. no tom, and you get what we're going to get on california -- retro punk blink

I think tom had most of those BCR songs already written during the TOYPAJ sessions, but intentionally kept them to himself for a solo record without telling Mark. his TOYPAJ songs were shit, then out of nowhere comes an entire album of gold.

I think it's naive to believe the "songs were too dark and different for blink" excuse. especially now that we know everything that we do about tom. if he wanted to be so different, he wouldn't have had Travis play on it, or Jerry Finn produce it, or tom lord alge mix it, or MCA put out the record. It was a blink record without Mark. nothing more. the other two members were hired on afterwards to make it seem like something different.

he knew he had solid songs and wanted more attention for himself. 

• Like 1

They got the chance to hear the album for an introduction article about it and literally all they do is badger them about Tom. As if they haven't spent the last few weeks constantly answering questions about him already.

Kerrang is just terrible.

• Like 5

giphy.gif

So what did we learn?
- A little bit what Sober sounds like I guess
- Patrick Stump co-wrote it 
- DON'T talk about Tom LeDrangus
- The winky smiley face was cool
- Nothing else new really
- Kerrang still sucks

• Like 5

I hate the way it's so shamefully admitting that they were like "Hm okay Mark's not giving us anything on Tom, lets see what we can get out of Travis..." Especially when they were asked before hand not to mention anything. We literally know everything we could about the Tom situation, no need for loads more questions on it right now. 

• Like 1

They're searching for a juicy nugget that just isn't there. Can't believe they didn't give two shits about getting to listen to the album and instead spent two pages whining that they couldn't talk about Tom. Despite the fact that they agreed that the album was awesome. That magazine is retarded

• Like 3

What the fuck was with that shade thrown at Travis? They spent more than half a page of like a three page article about how he was on his phone during the interview. Guess what Kerrang? I don't care if Travis was a dick to you, you probably deserved it. Tell me more about the album you advertised this article to be about, Jesus fucking Christ.

• Like 1

goddamn what was up with all that filler to open the article? and i agree, the interviewer was asked not inquire about tom (which i also find interesting, that they set that boundary), and he did, and travis responded matter-of-factly. what did he expect? fuck off, ask about what we just made, not the drama.

i think the most interesting thing to come out of this article is that patrick stump co-wrote songs on the album, which i anticipated and, as an FOB fan (at least of the past), hoped for. time will tell whether or not using co-writers was a step towards getting blink back where it needs to be, or just another sign of mark's writer's block.

• Like 1

I don't mind him co-writing, just don't want his terrible voice on the album.

as for the Tom questioning, the band set that parameter because the article was intended to be an exclusive hype article for their new album. Instead, Kerrang blew it and wrote a borderline hit piece in the first half. Was like it was written by a tombot.

• Like 5