The Dream Walker Demos

Ghost

i downloaded this. i listened to it. and sorry, but i will never understand people, who spend money on it.

recover #1 - more or less good, (except old songs, i am not ineterested in these at all, nothing new) and that's all

The only people who wouldn't like the Dream Walker demos are those who have not yet opened up their minds to great works of art. If you are not willing to pay a few dollars towards the furthering of artistic progress then you do not understand art. You must be the same person who walks into an art museum and spits upon the great works of Picasso, Da Vinci and Van Gogh.

/\\//\

- Tom

7 minutes ago, Tom Delonge said:

The only people who wouldn't like the Dream Walker demos are those who have not yet opened up their minds to great works of art. If you are not willing to pay a few dollars towards the furthering of artistic progress then you do not understand art. You must be the same person who walks into an art museum and spits upon the great works of Picasso, Da Vinci and Van Gogh.

/\\//\

- Tom

I feel ya, bro.

• Like 1

In fairness, they released it on the year anniversary of TTS 'officially' launching or the shop opening or something like that. So I don't think the date is suspicious... the cost definitely is though, but that makes it a perfect anniversary for TTS. releasing rehashed, unfinished material and charging the earth for it. 

5 hours ago, MSandt said:

The idea itself isn't that bad. Who here wouldn't pay $20 for 30 unheard blink demos?

The problem though is that these aren't unheard songs. They're demos of songs already released on The Dream Walker (Unless there are songs new (please correct me, and call them out if there are such songs/demos)).

I wouldn't mind a demo album if done right (Like what Tom did after being kicked out of blink), as opposed to this obvious money grab (Again if it's of songs already released then do it either bundled with a new release or for free).

15 minutes ago, Monkey Chips said:

The problem though is that these aren't unheard songs. They're demos of songs already released on The Dream Walker (Unless there are songs new (please correct me, and call them out if there are such songs/demos)).

I wouldn't mind a demo album if done right (Like what Tom did after being kicked out of blink), as opposed to this obvious money grab (Again if it's of songs already released then do it either bundled with a new release or for free).

there are a few unheard demos :)

If these demos also came with the original songs at the price they're charging, there could be an argument that the price they're being sold at is fair, but as it stands as just demos, no its not a fair price.  Not that I don't like demos, unreleased tracks, instrumentals, etc.  Just that the price they're asking for is far too unreasonable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M!ke said:

If these demos also came with the original songs at the price they're charging, there could be an argument that the price they're being sold at is fair, but as it stands as just demos, no its not a fair price.  Not that I don't like demos, unreleased tracks, instrumentals, etc.  Just that the price they're asking for is far too unreasonable.

Not that it matters a lot though: The people who are deranged enough to actually buy these would probably do so whether they cost $20 or $12.

I don't know how you guys can call this a money grab? AVA fans have been begging for something like this for years. They actually decided to do something for the fans. Whether you think it's a few bucks too much is one thing, but it's not a money grab. It was literally the most demanded thing by fans besides a tour because tom is known to post short demo clips which end up being nothing like the actual song. I brought the idea to Kari in January and the demos people wanted to hear. We exchanged a couple emails over the months about it. Tom and Kari put the thing together themselves in their spare time over a couple months, not one of their workers. They had to go through hundreds of files because every little change would be saved as a new file. So they had to go through and find the ones to be released. I'm not gonna defend the price really I think it could be a couple dollars cheaper, but as someone said I would gladly pay 20 dollars for 26 unreleased blink demos with a few scrapped songs just to see the process of how a song develops. I think it's different if you don't already love the band or the songs the demos are for. Could you imagine 26 untitled demos? I would pay a butt load of money to hear that to see how that year long recording process developed. It's what AVA fans wanted and was made for those hardcore fans

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

I don't know how you guys can call this a money grab? AVA fans have been begging for something like this for years. They actually decided to do something for the fans. Whether you think it's a few bucks too much is one thing, but it's not a money grab. It was literally the most demanded thing by fans besides a tour because tom is known to post short demo clips which end up being nothing like the actual song. I brought the idea to Kari in January and the demos people wanted to hear. We exchanged a couple emails over the months about it. Tom and Kari put the thing together themselves in their spare time over a couple months, not one of their workers. They had to go through hundreds of files because every little change would be saved as a new file. So they had to go through and find the ones to be released. I'm not gonna defend the price really I think it could be a couple dollars cheaper, but as someone said I would gladly pay 20 dollars for 26 unreleased blink demos with a few scrapped songs just to see the process of how a song develops. I think it's different if you don't already love the band or the songs the demos are for. Could you imagine 26 untitled demos? I would pay a butt load of money to hear that to see how that year long recording process developed. It's what AVA fans wanted and was made for those hardcore fans

omg, what a hard work, to get through your own demos, probably took them 2 hours to compile this shit. all they did - found a demo with a little change and put it on that piece of shit record. recover is good though, cause it's really simple musically, somehow it is sounds nice. i could rip all the cheetah videos in a day if you want and sell it to you for 15 bucks - that's your demos.

• Like 2

It's fine to charge for unreleased demos, that's not really an issue, but charging $17 for the tracks that weren't good enough for the 10 track record is a bit ridiculous. it cost more than the actual album itself. Charge $10 for it, sure, but charging $17 suggests it has a lot of value - when they were clearly don't.

Untitled demos being released now would be cool but again, $17 for a *digital* release is still too steep, and that would be for a record that came out 13 years ago - not a year and a half ago. 

I'd understand the price, *almost* if it was for the WDNTW demos or something because its been so long since the album that the weight of the difference could really be appreciated... but this just seems like something quite easy to find (I really doubt it took Kari and Tom long at all) and charged over the top for. your not paying for 26 fully complete and finished songs, you're paying for 26 odds and ends... hell proper double albums don't cost $17

Exactly, demos don't have to be free, no one is making that argument.  They just need to be sold at a fair price.  My example of Jimmy Eat World charging 2 dollars more for the Deluxe version of their albums that comes with a bonus disc of demos of each song is what I always think of when I hear a band has released an album of demos.  For what these demos are, I think at most, I'd be willing to pay $5 for them (if I even liked the demos mind you, most of these are very meh).  People are right, I'd be all over Untitled blink demos, but I'm only going to pay a fair price for them, if they charge $20 for them, then sorry, I'm going to go download them elsewhere at the low low price of nothing no matter how much I love the band and want to support them.