The Dream Walker Demos

Ghost

Outrageous price notwithstanding, I listened to these when someone uploaded them to Youtube (before they got deleted, anyway), and I must say, Wolfpack Demo #2 is miles better than the final version of the song, IMO. It's a shame he brought the key down too, it's always fun to hear Tom try to shout out those high notes; the chorus reminds me a bit of his shouting chorus in Feeling This.

12 hours ago, Monkey Chips said:

I'm not surprised though, he started ripping off other artists after Love

Starting with Saturday Love sounding like Video Killed the Radio Star in the chorus.

Sure, as he already copied his own songs, he needed new material. But I also like some of the demos. The production (or its lack of) sounds more natural, not as "compressed" like the album. 

2 hours ago, Statingdatruth said:

Sure, as he already copied his own songs, he needed new material. But I also like some of the demos. The production (or its lack of) sounds more natural, not as "compressed" like the album. 

yeah, the album versions sound like they're written by a mathematician. too precise, too boring.

10 minutes ago, platypus409 said:

And similar to When I Was Young. Talk about copying your own songs. Still love both songs.

Let's not forget the "citation" of Anthem Part 2.

So let's put it together: drums: Close to me. Guitar in the verses/intro: Anthem Part II and the chorus: Dry your eyes. (it's the other way round, but still recycled). 

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Everything's Magic is really similar to Close to Me by the Cure.

Instrumentally you can't argue how similar Everything's Magic is to Anthem Pt 2. Its like Tom wasn't even trying to hide is lack of originality on that one.  I'm so much more forgiving of Snake Charmer blatantly having the same tune as The Machine, simply because the tune was almost certainly one of those blink demos in 2005 that Tom took over to Angels and Airwaves to make songs with. 

To be honest, after listening to this Demo Pack I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the tracks. It gave an interesting perspective of the song-writing process for Tom, and how much ilan really did contribute to the album. I found it really cool to listen to some of the tracks (and many that I really disliked) and see what sort of filtering the individual tracks went through. There's a lot of raw guitar-work and vocal work found in the tracks - something that's been incredibly lacking in all of Tom's releases post-2006.

Examples that stood out for me was

"Mercenaries Guitar Demo" (Never noticed the intro was separate tracks of Tom breathing/sighing into the microphone which probably got all the Tombots hot and heavy - but also reminded me of the experimentation we heard on blink's Self-Titled. Not to mention this was the first time I've ever heard Ilans voice so pronounced - they should have kept that)

"The Wolfpack #1 Demo" (The highest I've ever heard Tom try and sing since...Dude Ranch? Not saying it sounds good - but was a surprise nonetheless. The verses also sound way better than what they ended up going with IMO. Wolfpack #2 Demo I think is miles better than the single-friendly Wolfpack they went with. Right down to the funny intro). 

"The Fighting Season Demo" (It made me think of Tom trying to copy the vocal-style of someone like Bjork lol) 

Now, don't get me wrong - I still find it completely ridiculous that the 'album' is being sold to fans. Tom is clearly looking for any and every way to profit what's left of his musicianship. But I did find this release a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 1

I'd really be impressed with Tom for wolfpack one musically / verses wise if it didn't sound nearly identical to the original version of heartbeats. I'd never heard the original and only heard the jose gonzalez version so I just thought the melody was similar but after hearing the knife version... damn, that would have been unacceptable.