Blink at X Games

boxelder

25 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I agree with this post, but since Enema, Blink have not been the most natural band. They sold out hard and gave up a lot of integrity and artistic freedom to the label and producer to make a poppy album that would sell well. That doesn't exactly scream natural evolution of a band.

There was an interview with another band member in the last year or so who basically said Blink weren't punk because they would do anything to make an extra buck. It escapes me who was interviewed, but they were adamant that Blink was more corporate than genuine when it came to recording new albums. We also have stories of Mark and Tom being told to write more poppy songs and them pumping them out in 10 minutes (The Rock Show, First Date, etc.). 

While I don't care about Blink selling out and trying to appeal to the masses in their prime, I do think it's worth noting that Blink has always tried to be something. Even the joke songs had the goal of selling more albums (dividing them into different versions of an album so people would have to buy all 3 to hear them all); otherwise they would have just put them all on one album. 

great post. it was why i disliked TOYPAJ for so long; it just screams cash-in. all said, i still think blink were more genuine, even then, than many of their peers.

and i think you're thinking of christian jacobs from the aquabats, quoted in travis's book:

On the SnoCore tour, we were playing with all these cool guys with tattoos—Primus, Blink-182, Long Beach Dub All-Stars, and Tha Alkaholiks—and we were out there saying, “Hey, brush your teeth,” assuming everyone was in on the joke. Mark and Tom were so arrogant and jocky on that tour. It felt like they were into punk because it was a fashionable way to make money. But without Travis, Mark and Tom would have been, at best, a lukewarm poser pop-punk band. A couple of hot dogs wiggling around in a bucket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotNow said:

Yea I agree with you there but that reply was right after when I said Mark sounded so bad in bored to death as bad as tom if not worse in some cases so I thought your comment was in response to me. My bad

no no, my answer was not a response to you, it was more to some moaners here without any message to specific person)

Christian Jacobs is kind of full of shit though. Tom clearly loved punk rock and probably was the only music he liked. Mark too to maybe a lesser degree. In what way did Travis bring any credibility to punk rock that wasn't already there?

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Christian Jacobs is kind of full of shit though. Tom clearly loved punk rock and probably was the only music he liked. Mark too to maybe a lesser degree. In what way did Travis bring any credibility to punk rock that wasn't already there?

Yeah, they basically "sold out" immediately after Travis joined the band. His comments make no sense. The only rational argument you could make there is that they sold out BECAUSE Travis joined the band. Obviously I don't believe that, but it makes more sense than what he said.

oh yeah i think christian jacobs is stupid. i'm sure tom and mark acted arrogant and shit, but they weren't into punk rock to become millionaires. i think thats been proven false time and time again, from that victory records interview to mark's posts on alt.punk

27 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Also how is Enema any less of a cash in then TOYPAJ. It's cash in part two basically.

i think repeating it over was expected, but the fact that TOYPAJ is so full of teenage lyrics makes it feel like pandering. and mark's said MCA rushed TOYPAJ, tom's said his creativity was stifled. when i say cash-in, i mean for the label execs. rebellious little "punk rock" band making island-owning billionaires happy with singalongs about first dates. don't get me wrong, i love TOYPAJ, it feels like a classic blink album to me, but something about it was off-putting for a long time, and i still hold some of that perspective 

besides the initial reunion where tom was hammered every night, he would just stand in one spot with his head down and "play" the songs. i'm not sure how that's so entertaining to everyone. do people really miss him saying DAD! in always and things like that still? 

• Like 4

All TOYPAJ was was more Enema.  But the reason Enema gets a pass while TOYPAJ is labeled as the cash grab is because Enema wasn't proven to work prior to it's release.  There really weren't any albums out like Enema by that point.  Dookie was probably the closets thing to the polished pop-punk sound that Enema was by that time, but even still Dookie is a very different album than Enema.  Enema of course turned out to be a huge success, but they didn't know for sure that the entire music industry would be so welcoming to that sound at that time.  I can see how the argument would be made that Enema was the sellout album, but I think simply because there was no guarantee with that album, its not quite true.  With TOYPAJ, I get it, it might as well be disc 2 to Enema.  It was just more of the same in a world thirsty for more.  Nothing inherently wrong at all with more of the same mind you, you ever play Super Mario Galaxy 2? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah the only argument I could see is their off-stage lifestyles. Reading Travis' book, it seems like he lived the most punk lifestyle out of the three. Tom came off as an annoying, entitled kid who always wanted to get drunk and be at the centre of attention. 

And I don't think they "faked" being punk rock to make money. I just think they were totally fine changing their sound and letting the label/producer make them more poppy to cash in. Nothing wrong with it, it was just in response to Supervic's post. 

Why do a lot of posters on here think people who aren't that big of fans of Skiba are Tombots/they miss Tom? the two opinions are mutually exclusive, it is possible to think Tom is a cunt and not be a fan of Skiba or his fit with blink y'know.

Anyone who says a bad word about Skiba instantly gets it in the neck for being a Tombot, it's fucking weird. 

I'm intrigued to hear the album, hell I might even love it but I'd be lying if I said I was overly excited or desperate for it to leak if I'm honest. Quite content waiting.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Poet Danderson said:

Why do a lot of posters on here think people who aren't that big of fans of Skiba are Tombots/they miss Tom? the two opinions are mutually exclusive, it is possible to think Tom is a cunt and not be a fan of Skiba or his fit with blink y'know.

Anyone who says a bad word about Skiba instantly gets it in the neck for being a Tombot, it's fucking weird. 

I'm intrigued to hear the album, hell I might even love it but I'd be lying if I said I was overly excited or desperate for it to leak if I'm honest. Quite content waiting.

I agree with you, the only time I take exception to that is when people complain about Skiba's live performances. It's like, have they ever seen Blink play at any time in their career? Just seems like a stupid thing to complain about when Skiba is actually relatively good compared to this band's past live shows. 

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Ghost- from Skibabot to tombot in minutes! get a grip!

Dude, you can have an opinion without being a "bot". Get over it. Where in my post was there even a lick of praising Tom? Yet it wreaked of Tombot? You need to learn how to accept people's opinions instead of reflexively calling them a this-bot or that-bot. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

haha half blind? you've been awkwardly choking on Skiba's cock for months and then overnight you're some kind of critical knob. Some weird shit going down on this message board lately. Coming from all directions too.

You have the most black and white thinking ever.

Positive comment about Skiba? Skiba cock in mouth. Negative comment about Skiba? Skiba cock out, Tom cock in.

People have both negative and positive comments = weird shit going down. Wow, it's so spooky that someone can have some praise and some criticisms about a thing. Which mental disorder is that supposed to be?

You know, if you try to recruit more than 5 brain cells when reading these posts, you might see that people can have dynamic, nuanced, multi-dimensioned thoughts and feelings about a topic.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I agree with this post, but since Enema, Blink have not been the most natural band. They sold out hard and gave up a lot of integrity and artistic freedom to the label and producer to make a poppy album that would sell well. That doesn't exactly scream natural evolution of a band.

There was an interview with another band member in the last year or so who basically said Blink weren't punk because they would do anything to make an extra buck. It escapes me who was interviewed, but they were adamant that Blink was more corporate than genuine when it came to recording new albums. We also have stories of Mark and Tom being told to write more poppy songs and them pumping them out in 10 minutes (The Rock Show, First Date, etc.). 

While I don't care about Blink selling out and trying to appeal to the masses in their prime, I do think it's worth noting that Blink has always tried to be something. Even the joke songs had the goal of selling more albums (dividing them into different versions of an album so people would have to buy all 3 to hear them all); otherwise they would have just put them all on one album. 

I agree completely - but only for TOYPAJ. Most sell out examples come from that album. But even as they were doing it, it was not as self proclaimed. It wasn't pushed by their producer either.

For joke songs, for this album, Brohemian was written because Feldman asked Mark if he had any joke song lines, and then they brought it out from that. It's definitely a Mark creation, but Mark barely makes dick jokes anymore. Travis never did it. Matt obviously never did it with Alkaline Trio. So where's it coming from?

Untitled wasn't like that at all to me. In fact they did the opposite - Travis's famous quote was that he said to the band let's forget everything people know about blink. They aimed for complete reinvention. Most fans were proud and stoked with the result. 

Enema.. well, that's a bit of a grey area. But considering how many of those songs were written in the Dude Ranch era, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, supervic said:

You have the most black and white thinking ever.

Positive comment about Skiba? Skiba cock in mouth. Negative comment about Skiba? Skiba cock out, Tom cock in.

People have both negative and positive comments = weird shit going down. Wow, it's so spooky that someone can have some praise and some criticisms about a thing. Which mental disorder is that supposed to be?

You know, if you try to recruit more than 5 brain cells when reading these posts, you might see that people can have dynamic, nuanced, multi-dimensioned thoughts and feelings about a topic.

lol it's funny because I'm known in my real life friend circle as a Skiba hater. I think he dresses like a douche and is too weird for my taste. He is killing it live though and I love the new material and how it's working out.

It's just that this place has become so infested with tombots like yourself that my position has been skewed. It's like in politics, you basically have to take an extreme position if you want to counter an existing extremist.