Blink-182 Rabbit Hole out now!

Chewy030

10 hours ago, brocksta182 said:

They played it on Triple J this morning, and didn't know it had explicit language haha. They read out text responses after which were mostly positive except for one person who text "no Tom, no blink"

I'm liking it a bit more with each listen. I like how Mark and Matt's vocals are a lot easier to distinguish in this track. Definitely sounds very Goldfinger-esqe

Triple J seem to be more into blink comeback number 2 than they were for the first one. Bored to Death has been played a heap and they played Rabbit Hole 3 times today so far, plus made a major music news post about it. I dont remember Up All Night getting as much attention and they mostly stopped caring before the second single came out. I'm happy since its usually on at work

Listened to the song a bunch today. Better than Bored to Death for me. Doesn't sound much like Enema at all, mostly agree that it sounds like Goldfinger/that era of pop punk mixed with ATL production but that isn't really a bad thing. Still don't like the shuddup part but everything else is good

My only downsides of the song are the outro (again. I hope not all the songs are going to have these long pointless outros!) and the 'With you, with you, with you, with you with you again..." between the first chorus and second verse. Would have sounded better with just the instruments.

Listened to it a few more times..... and it still isn't for me. Like some other poster said, Blink songs had their own identity and you could tell which band it was, even if they just sounded like your typical punk rock song. This song, and even Bored to Death, sound like most punk rock songs I've already heard before. It's just missing something to make them great songs.... and that doesn't mean Tom.

I'm just hoping the whole album doesn't sound like this and there are different range songs.

1 minute ago, ManchesterAdam said:

My only downsides of the song are the outro (again. I hope not all the songs are going to have these long pointless outros!) and the 'With you, with you, with you, with you with you again..." between the first chorus and second verse. Would have sounded better with just the instruments.

or maybe the melody part done on guitar, with some embellishing. 

I mean, I could pick this song apart to death, it's what I usually do, but this song hasn't taken some digesting for me which is what usually causes my analytical douche part to come out.

I just *like* it, it's fun, it's very easy on the ear. It made me smile. as much as it doesn't arguably sound like a song straight off of enema, it is definitely reminiscent of it and thats the first blink album I got into, so it gives me all kinds of warm fuzzies. 

For anyone who doesn't like it though, who are worried because Mark said it would be a fan favourite - he might have meant because it's very obviously cookie-cutter pop punk, like some of their older stuff. meaning this is the most 'throw back' track on the record... so maybe the rest of the album isn't quite stepped so much in the past?

I mean, I honestly don't mind if it is because out of what we've heard so far, this is my fave, but still. something to consider. 

• Like 2

Okay.

Listened some more today, it's grown on me more and I think it's a good fun song.

I still can't get past the lyrics though, they're average at their best and borderline awful when at their worst.

Dear head, shut up
I can't listen no more
It's late, so shut up
Is one night too much to ask for?

...is that really the best Mark could do? the song needs a strong lyrical start, especially considering it kicks straight in with it.

You are the coldest stone carved marble faces

...and what the fuck is that line? did Tom Delonge write it before they kicked him out?

• Like 2

Just now, Poet Danderson said:

Okay.

Listened some more today, it's grown on me more and I think it's a good fun song.

I still can't get past the lyrics though, they're average at their best and borderline awful when at their worst.

Dear head, shut up
I can't listen no more
It's late, so shut up
Is one night too much to ask for?

...is that really the best Mark could do?

You are the coldest stone carved marble faces

...and what the fuck is that line? did Tom Delonge write it before they kicked him out?

I really like the first verse (probably because i can relate to it quite a bit currently)

and the stone marble line, i feel that was written by Matt, since he's all up into his gothica shiz

It's a fun song. However, the more I hear from "new" blink the more I start to realize that Tom is actually missing. And I am anything but a Tombot. I was actually very excited for the Matt Mark combination. But after listening to BtD and Rabbit Hole on Spotify the Dogs Eating Dogs EP came on and it was actually refreshing to have Toms voice and guitar riffing in it.. 

• Like 2

Just now, ManchesterAdam said:

I'm personally glad we're getting some more simple lyrics. Simple but meaningful lyrics will always be better than the complex random nonsense that songs on Neighborhoods and DED had.

Agreed, I don't want to have to try and decipher wtf they're trying to say. Just slap me with it, but make it clever.

• Like 2

I don't see the problem with the lyrics at all. I mean, I don't care what age you are, you can relate to the concept of wanting to shut your brain off. it might be barked childishly but it's not exactly a child-like theme.

as for the stone carved marble face... it's either just an elaborate way of saying somethings hard and stoic, or that it's a cold but beautiful person... either way it's not particularly bad. It's definitely not "stop living in the shadow of a helicopter" thats for damn sure.

I 100% think this song is about self doubt, and I love that. Mark is so riddled with insecurities as a musician and songwriter and this song is such a simple throw back and it could have been about anything but instead its about the fact that he's constantly painting himself into anxious corners. That's kind of meta and amazing if you ask me. the song musically that could cause a lot of people to scrutinise him is the one where he's like "Nope. not doing it. not judging myself. sod off" I like that. it's very relatable, something I haven't felt from blink in years.

• Like 3

Yeah for some reason I have never cared too much about lyrics as long as they flow nicely...Like what I mean is that I don't care if they immediately make sense as long as the lyrics sound good together. I do think some of the best songs are "free written" where the lyrics just flow. This can also be dangerous but I think it can work really well. 

On another note, I would also say my least favorite part of the song is the outro but its not bad and it certainly doesn't ruin the song for me. 

• Like 1

Blink definitely set the bar high with Untitled. The key word here is VARIETY.

Songs like Go!, I miss you, Stockholm or I lost without you, sounds like they could be easily on different albums, Neighborhoods tried to do that but failed due to different reasons (lack of better production, internal problems of the band etc). California has the opportunity to have that Variety but with great production, but it seems they will play it safe pushing more to the classic pop-punk 00´s style that made blink famous.

• Like 1

I don't like the stone faces lyric, but actually quite like the rest. There is something refreshing about simplicity. Especially after years of Mark lyrics that are edited to death and Tom lyrics that just didn't make any sense.

• Like 1

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Riff driven, plenty of palm muting, some awesome drumming, and a chorus I can't get out of my head. Skiba's aggressive singing in the last chorus kills it. I love how present the bass is in the mix too. 

I was a tad nervous after BTD but as long as we get a few catchy summer-y songs like this, I'll be quite content. Enema is the GOAT for me, so take my opinion with a myriad of salt grains. 

• Like 4

Still not the biggest fan of this. It's catchy and that's about it (repetitive as fuck). The lyrics are just so ... basic and I hear a few later Alkaline Trio-ness that feels off. It does have that feeling of JF getting them to write and finish this song in the last hour before leaving the studio for the day.

In summary this song can go and fuck off.

• Like 2

I honestly do like glossier production when it comes to pop punk, but one problem I have is I really can't tell if that left panned drum Travis is hitting during the first verse is a tom or like the side of the drum (like what he does at the start of Always, idk if there's a name for that). Also just noticed the acoustic guitar panned to the right of all the "with you with you" parts, don't know if thats good or bad I just noticed it

Edit: I think its a tom, just sounds a little weak. Whatever, nitpickin'

Many of you forget how "glossy" or "poppy" EOTS & some of TOYPAJ is. I just think that because you're older, you're more critical of what blink releases & blink is known for their poppy sound. You want old blink, but you don't want old blink. Never going to satisfy fans. I feel sorry for those who can't truly enjoy the song for what it's worth, not in a bad way, just that it sucks for those of you who can't enjoy it and I can. 

• Like 2