Blink-182 Rabbit Hole out now!

Chewy030

6 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yup.

That's one of my favorite songs on Enema. Weird Davey, we usually agree on most Blink-related music haha.

I think it's got a such a unique sound to it, while being relatively meaningful when compared to the rest of the songs on Enema. And I always loved the drums in the verse, and the guitar intro, I dunno - there's a lot to like in that song for me. I don't like the Enema as much as most people here but I do love that song. So why don't you guys like it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, decisions said:

That's one of my favorite songs on Enema. Weird Davey, we usually agree on most Blink-related music haha.

I think it's got a such a unique sound to it, while being relatively meaningful when compared to the rest of the songs on Enema. And I always loved the drums in the verse, and the guitar intro, I dunno - there's a lot to like in that song for me. I don't like the Enema as much as most people here but I do love that song. So why don't you guys like it?

i'm probably in the minority, but i like a band to do one or two things really well. and that's it. if i want to hear something different, i listen to someone else.

i like my punk-esque (by "punk-esque," i'm covering hardcore punk, pop punk, skate punk, metal punk, ska punk, whatever) music to be fast. adam's song has the mid-tempo, radio-friendly pace of a slightly below-average foo fighters track. if i wanted that, i could just listen to the foo fighters, or many other radio-friendly mid-tempo bands.

specifically addressing adam's song, however: it's the most overproduced track on an already overproduced album (although you could argue that all the small things actually deserves this title). when tom strums slowly you can tell how weak his riffs are (the fact that all he does is solo around major scales on cheshire cat is easier to overlook because he's playing so fast). the chorus has a wall of sound "AHHHHHHHHHH" behind the lyrics that just drives me up the wall. mark's verses are fairly monotone melodies. and the slower a blink track is, the more travis can't resist cluttering it up with a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles.

there are five songs i always skip when listening to enema: aliens exist (i was burned out on them playing it live by the time enema came out), what's my age again? (yuck), adam's song (reasons listed above), all the small things (no comment required), and mutt (i'm too attached to the original version).  

If I'm listening to music on shuffle, I'll ususally skip anything that comes up from Enema of the State except Dumpweed and Dysentery Gary. Honestly the more I think about it, Enema is my least favorite blink album. I still like it, and I'll still listen to it from time to time. But I like every other album more. And usually if I'm in the mood for Enema of the State songs I'll just listen to The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show instead.

i think mark's backing vocals on adam's song are great, some of his best vocal performances. i can see how one can say adam's song is overproduced, and i also agree on travis, but i don't know... its subject matter being so heavy and close to mark, and then it being chosen as a single, was kinda ballsy. especially for a band that at the time at a top 10 hit. next single -- suicide song!

• Like 1

Adams Song is one of my fave blink tracks, as is Fighting The Gravity. but I also absolutely adore everything pre enema, regardless of its quality. I've been on a listening to all of blink kick recently and I've had 'Time' stuck in my head loads. 

What I especially like about the songs pre Enema is that the songs are 100% them. It's not bells and whistles and shoved full of synth and producer comments and choices. It's 3 dudes with songs they've written together. Songs that have come to life and been perfected on the stage. One of the things that feels kind of lost (I'd argue from TOYPAJ onwards) is the transition between studio and stage. Bored To Death is a great example of this - as a track recorded it sounds fine. I don't personally like it but it sounds okay, but it's quite telling that as soon as its on stage it sounds like horseshite. same goes for Up All Night, it's kind of evident that it wasn't written with performance in mind or even in a "lets jam in this room together, fellas" approach. I'm not saying every song should be written like that at all, nor am I slamming post TOYPAJ stuff because I essentially love all eras of blink, but it is kinda noticeable and it seems kind of stupid if that song becomes a single, because you'll have to play it for the next god knows how many years.  

I mean people go on and on about the I Miss You differences and huge outros live... if they'd actually played it through all together in a rehearsal a few times, surely they'd have discovered that aspect and put that into the original recording? wouldn't that have made the song better?

Just something to think about. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

If I'm listening to music on shuffle, I'll ususally skip anything that comes up from Enema of the State except Dumpweed and Dysentery Gary. Honestly the more I think about it, Enema is my least favorite blink album. I still like it, and I'll still listen to it from time to time. But I like every other album more. And usually if I'm in the mood for Enema of the State songs I'll just listen to The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show instead.

Man that album is sooo special to me. Tha first I discovered blink with. The only song I usually skip is Adams Song. Not that it's a bad song I've just never cared for it much. Otherwise I'd say Enema is right behind Untitled for me.

God Damn, the people who dislike Adam's song just blow my mind. That song was like the tipping point for getting into Blink. WMAA and ATST were of course amazing, but that song was proof that Blink could take their unique concept and translate it into a ballad. The drums on that song are ground breaking in style, the lyrics are amazing, the song structure, just everything, I think it was a ground breaking piece of music.

Are you people smoking crack or something? :wink:

• Like 4

Fair enough Davey I can see where you're coming from. For me I like the chorus melody, like the drum beat in the chorus and don't think it is an example of overplaying, but actually does a good job of spicing up the otherwise simplistic verse.

Why don't they play it anymore anyway? If I remember correctly it was because DJAM died, but the song wasn't even about him to begin with? Would he really have wanted them to remove the song from their setlist because of him passing? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Davey's opinion is kind of worthless, he pretty much hates everything after Dude Ranch because he thinks Blink sold out and all that. So a lot of that is personal given he had such an early connection with them. Reading between the lines, To him If it ain't Scott Raynor quick drumming in some small club, it ain't Blink.

26 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

God Damn, the people who dislike Adam's song just blow my mind. That song was like the tipping point for getting into Blink. WMAA and ATST were of course amazing, but that song was proof that Blink could take their unique concept and translate it into a ballad. The drums on that song are ground breaking in style, the lyrics are amazing, the song structure, just everything, I think it was a ground breaking piece of music.

Are you people smoking crack or something? :wink:

At the time it came out I thought it was too slow. Not a bad song by any means but one of my least favorites. I don't skip it all the time probably 6/10 times I'll skip it.