Unpopular Blink 182 opinions

elgu

I don't even really feel this way, but figured this would be the best thread to throw it out there:

It's kind of disappointing that Mark/Travis weren't willing to change Blink's sound for Tom's new ideas. I just read in the other thread how Travis didn't want Tom to play synth and wanted more guitar. There was also a sentiment that Tom was going too far in the direction of U2/Coldplay. Many bands are able to pivot their style and evolve/adapt to new styles. I remember Rush completely changed their style when Geddy Lee wanted to do more keyboard stuff, and they put out their best material afterwards with Tom Sawyer. The main point here is that a band shouldn't shut down a new style if they feel like they can pull it off. So either they thought they couldn't pull off Tom's vision, or they made a safe/conservative choice to stick with pop-punk. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't even really feel this way, but figured this would be the best thread to throw it out there:

It's kind of disappointing that Mark/Travis weren't willing to change Blink's sound for Tom's new ideas. I just read in the other thread how Travis didn't want Tom to play synth and wanted more guitar. There was also a sentiment that Tom was going too far in the direction of U2/Coldplay. Many bands are able to pivot their style and evolve/adapt to new styles. I remember Rush completely changed their style when Geddy Lee wanted to do more keyboard stuff, and they put out their best material afterwards with Tom Sawyer. The main point here is that a band shouldn't shut down a new style if they feel like they can pull it off. So either they thought they couldn't pull off Tom's vision, or they made a safe/conservative choice to stick with pop-punk. 

I agree, but Tom's synth and guitar work on Neighborhoods are almost objectively bad. Okay, maybe if they worked together like a real band on that record he could have explored that sound more.

But I have a feeling that Tom wasn't willing to compromise. I think he got so used to being the 'leader' in AVA that he was like, either you like it or else fuck you.

16 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Dogs Eating Dogs is a great EP and blink's best post-reunion release.

Dog Eating Dogs is awesome. Just imagine what kind of album they could have written if they actually spent a few months together. I think it's a great EP for being written and recorded in such a short time frame.

1) The Party Song is the worst song on Enema of the State and one of their worst overall.

2) Dammit is overrated and is a borderline rip-off of Green Day

3) I'm Lost Without You is horrifically sappy and pathetic, drags on too long, and destroyed what little credibility blink-182 had as a punk band.

4) Travis Barker is one of the most overrated drummers in the entire industry

5) California was made 100% for money 

6) Skiba is a hack, a terrible fit to the band, and joining it was the most noteworthy thing he has ever accomplished 

44 minutes ago, theorangemisfit said:

1) The Party Song is the worst song on Enema of the State and one of their worst overall.

3) I'm Lost Without You is horrifically sappy and pathetic, drags on too long, and destroyed what little credibility blink-182 had as a punk band.

6) Skiba is a hack, a terrible fit to the band, and joining it was the most noteworthy thing he has ever accomplished 

finally, some proper unpopular opinions

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theorangemisfit said:

1) Hm. It might be the worst song on Enema, but only because all the songs are so good. The lyrics are silly, and maybe seem worse today than they did at the time, but I still think it's great.

2) I don't see it as a Green Day ripoff at all. It's probably overrated though, sure. It's not one of their best songs.

3) I think it's just a different sort of a song for them. It's an album-closer and a droney, art-punk thing. I love it.

4) Also probably true, only because he's so highly rated, but I still think he's one of the best rock drummers ever.

5) That's just false.

6) I sort of agree with this. But he has his skills.

5 hours ago, Clarke said:

I can't stand people that only talk about the self-titled album, as if it's a status symbol within the blink-182 community to have that album be your favorite.

I would agree that it's strange to only talk about that album. But it's so superior to anything else I don't know how much it has to do with it being a status symbol.

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

There are definitely instances of people having an elitist tone when talking about the self-titled album

That's kinda how I'm feeling about Cali. Can't critique it without some people flipping out like you personally insulted their grandma or something. Untitled is my favorite, full disclosure, but I have no problem with anyone hating it. I actually get the hate as it was such a departure from say, rock show or first date.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2016 at 10:40 AM, LukeKaybag said:

Skiba is a way better musician than either mark or Tom. He just writes and writes and writes. He might not write better songs then them but his creative output is just amazing and he long ago replaced mark/Tom as my favorite musician.

Hmm I think you're right about him being more prolific than them, but I haven't heard anything from him that makes me think he's a better musician or even a better songwriter. But hey, that's why this thread exists! Haha

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Hmm I think you're right about him being more prolific than them, but I haven't heard anything from him that makes me think he's a better musician or even a better songwriter. But hey, that's why this thread exists! Haha

i'd say matt's just as good as mark or tom. but his lyrical and musical style is way better than tom's - in ava. he is the guy who followed the direction of our favorite version of tom.

(well, at some point he became a mess too, but compared to tom he dealt with it a lot better. he didn't have worldchanging plans for 5 years just because he had an addiction. he just wanted to kill himself when he was at rock bottom.)