Predict the next singles

Meltdown Tracker

17 hours ago, Chase said:

I feel like pop-punk videos in general are so stale these days.

"Hey, check out our video of angsty teens revolting against authority spliced with shots of our band playing to a crowded room of misfits."

Rinse, repeat.

Totally, it's a fucking shame. It's not like it's necessary to spend a ton of money to get a cool unique creative result. They just don't try with videos lately

Yeah exactly, I hate how phoned in some music videos are, considering how popular youtube is, and how video is the better way to share music on social media.

You want a super entertaining video so people watch it more than once, getting you more sweet ad revenue. 

It's pretty interesting that it seemed like they were finally being guided by some sort of smart management or something with the Bored To Death/California press and marketing, but with other things like music videos, second single confusion, setlists, they have gone back to the kinda same old post-reunion "out of touch" decision making.

i thought they would do a lot of interviews while they're on the road (for radios and magazines), but the press coverage is barely noticable. show reviews, and that's all.

was the lack of interviews planned, or someone at their management forgot to schedule press meetings? it seems like most venues are sold out on this tour, so they don't really need media hype - so i assume it was intentional.

then hopefully they won't stop for months after the tour. at least they should shoot a real music video to calm us down. :D

I think the videos they make they can because of the budgets are so small. I don't like how repetitive they are, but you can't destroy a house like you used to back in 2001. Hiring creative directors could be a plus, but they too cost money.

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think the videos they make they can because of the budgets are so small. I don't like how repetitive they are, but you can't destroy a house like you used to back in 2001. Hiring creative directors could be a plus, but they too cost money.

I... don't really agree. You see some wonderfully original and interesting videos every day on youtube. they cost money, but there is a lot more you can do with even limited funding, its a case of actually thinking about it and looking into it and contacting people. it's because they're going to typical directors, going the old school route. its a very old way of thinking a music video should be "have band on stage" "have kids in it" "some shots of skateboards" there we go! could have had this video in the 90s and no one would know the difference! 

They don't need 200,000 to make a decent music video, and they can afford that a lot more now then they could back then. 

• Like 1

I think a cool idea would be to instead of spend all the money on a super pro video, they should just try to film themselves wasting all the money and do hilarious things, it would be a pretty funny video, I think. And it could be a contrast to the SOOHM lyrics, who are about being in love with a girl and have that have nothing to do with the actual video. Original too!

what do you think, what was the cost of the i miss you video? location costs + lights + amateur actresses + costume + makeup + camera rental + post production = $5,000 tops. and a big name director = $200,000?!

they could shoot professional looking videos from a few thousand dollars. i bet there are hundreds of creative fans who would be able to come up with great scripts (for free). also hundreds of fans who would willing to work on any part of a blink video, just to have their name in the credits.

37 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

what do you think, what was the cost of the i miss you video? location costs + lights + amateur actresses + costume + makeup + camera rental + post production = $5,000 tops. and a big name director = $200,000?!

they could shoot professional looking videos from a few thousand dollars. i bet there are hundreds of creative fans who would be able to come up with great scripts (for free). also hundreds of fans who would willing to work on any part of a blink video, just to have their name in the credits.

You're crazy if you think it's that cheap. The average music video cost in 2010 was $200.000-$500,000. That's when there was way less money being used to film videos than in 2003. I remember that Lady Gaga music video he did back in 09 was over a million.

I don't think any issues I have with their recent videos have anything to do with the budget. They just don't use creative ideas anymore. Think of something like Always, that was a great idea and great execution, and it definitely didn't have anything that would've cost a ton of money. They can do that again, they just have to put in the effort to either come up with a great idea, or hire someone to come up with a great idea. Instead, they've basically just given up on having memorable videos. Strangely, I thought the goofy little Brohemian Rhapsody video with Mumford and Sons was better and more memorable than the Bored To Death video haha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

You're crazy if you think it's that cheap. The average music video cost in 2010 was $200.000-$500,000. That's when there was way less money being used to film videos than in 2003. I remember that Lady Gaga music video he did back in 09 was over a million.

but what part of the video making is so expensive?

there are a lot of professional looking amateur videos on vimeo, mostly done as college projects. all they got was a dslr, and a 30-day trial version of final cut pro.

4 hours ago, thongrider said:

I think a cool idea would be to instead of spend all the money on a super pro video, they should just try to film themselves wasting all the money and do hilarious things, it would be a pretty funny video, I think. And it could be a contrast to the SOOHM lyrics, who are about being in love with a girl and have that have nothing to do with the actual video. Original too!

Isn't that exactly what they did for The Rock Show music video? Albeit they had a very high budget for that.

But I agree, they just need to do a funny video, and that can be done for VERY cheap. With no sets, no fancy equipment, no big crew, they shouldn't have to spend a lot of money. Hell, Angels & Airwaves started filming their own music videos for cheap and they still looked good (they were boring, but they looked nice).

• Like 2

Directors gotta make money. They're not going to work for free and if they have been tested, they come with a price tag. It's like shooting a commercial. There is pre-production, the casting, the scouting, renting of everything, actors, cost of shipping Mark, Travis, and Matt out to the location, production teams, an editor, etc. 

to get this to look like

is about 50 grand easily. That's being conservative.

• Like 2