California - Negative Points

madgaz182

Ok guys so what's your negative points/feedback about California 

now im not talking the obvious of just sayin there's no Tom or anything , be honest and critical

Mine would be the fact we have not got much in the way of instrumentals in the middles of songs , seems to be lyric overload, also would be nice to have some longer intros building up into things 

like I say just small gripes 

The only thing that just is too evident to me is the voice edition/pitch correction in some tracks. At some points it a little too much. But well, we're navigatig in a very poppy ground, so... I take it as resources.

• Like 3

It has strong and weak points, the weak points for me are there insnt instrumental parts, at least not enough, and too much lyrics, wich also arent overall very great (the lyrics). I think i would like to hear more Skiba input on next records and im hoping for more fast punk songs like Cynical and TOTTM on next releases.

General issues - 

- No room for instrumentation to breathe, constant vocals. 

- Too crowded with sounds and synth parts and harmonies in places

- Too much reliance on "na na na" "whah" etc

- Very little stand out guitar parts (that aren't essentially symmetrical)

- Not enough "depth". I know it's blink so we shouldn't expect them to write lyrical masterpieces pondering the meanings of the universe, but I'd like something meaty meaning wise. there is some touches here and there but it is shallow in a lot of areas.

- Too formulaic with song structures

- Too "Safe" wanting too much to appeal to a demographic that genuinely may not exist anymore. 

Specific issues - 

- Home. the melody for "home is such a lonely place without you" seems too packed in, the "without you" seems squeezed onto the end. Plus the guitar in this sounds like all the other guitar parts on the record, the extra notes that are actually being played are shoved in the background too much making it not as tonally valuable as it could have been. 

- SOOHM. I may dislike this song a lot but the "Eh Eh Eh" part is just irritating to listen to, it goes beyond catchy into annoying, and it has a negative impact on the song as a whole.

- The joke songs ruin the albums flow completely. It's great to have them but they don't really work, especially where they are.

- Cynical could have been a little longer. You wouldn't want it to be a full fledged 3.30 min track, but it could have used an extra 20 seconds to make it perfect. although it's already pretty damn perfect already.

I have more which I'm sure I'll think of at some point. I will say though that I do really like the album and have been playing it on repeat. 

• Like 3

Built this Pool - shit and also not funny at all.

Kings of the Weekend - very bland run of the mill pop punk, sound like a 2016 ATL song.

Overuse of Na Na Na etc...

Lyrics overload as said before, funny that Neighborhoods felt lacking in that area but they've gone too far the other way this time.

Lyrics not great overall and some pretty bad melodies occasionally.

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

Although I'm probably the only dude here who hasn't listened to the record, Mark should of rapped in a song. Like a weird bridge where he has like 4-5 lines.

Why not? Waiting till Friday or just not bothered?

4 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Why not? Waiting till Friday or just not bothered?

Yeah, I figured I waited this long, why not just wait until Friday? And since nobody mentioned a Mark rap portion of the album, I think they should of done one just to be fun and goofy.  

6 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Yeah, I figured I waited this long, why not just wait until Friday? And since nobody mentioned a Mark rap portion of the album, I think they should of done one just to be fun and goofy.  

But I mean why wait? Official release dates are just arbitrarily chosen anyway.

it's just so strange that they have recorded 60 songs and probably none of them had a solid guitar riff. this album has only 2 or 3 riffs that doesn't sound good let alone interesting. they choose to play some single notes like everybody does. 

too much fucking nana's and whoa's. 

skiba doesn't sound like himself. 

this record is getting a pass but another one with feldman and the same sound will be a poop. 

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Negative point, Speedo didn't like it, and now no longer posts here***

**I am sure some will see this as a positive.

But seriously my main issue is that it is just too poppy in certain areas.

lmao, are you kidding me?