California - Negative Points

madgaz182

1 hour ago, theedge00 said:
2 hours ago, Harry Potter. said:

I found the antisocial line so hilarous that I came to love it.

It's cooler when Skiba sings it. When Mark does it, he sounds kinda retarded (see 00:27). Still catchy though.

He does sound retarded. From the first time I heard it I picture him looking like a beaver showing it's teeth and I don't know why 

2 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with most of the stuff that has been said here.

I find Travis' work quite bland on this record, no real highlights. He also uses the exact same fills when he plays live. I dont know shit about music engineering, but his drums don't sound that crisp in some songs.

It's cooler when Skiba sings it. When Mark does it, he sounds kinda retarded (see 00:27). Still catchy though.

That is actually a great point that I forgot to mention...while Travis does have some standout moments on this record "Like the beginning of No Future."
His drumming is far more forgettable and also more generic typically on the album than anything else in blinks discography.
Travis usually has a way of taking pretty much every song and adding something super special to it, even if its just one particular moment in each song where your like "How the fuck did he play that?"
And being a drummer its super fun to go figure it out...
On this album though there are only a few moments like that unfortunately.
The more generic music called for more generic drumming I guess. 
Don't get me wrong he still kicks ass and plays well as usual...just not as much creativity.

• Like 1

1. Obvious use of pitch correction that isn't noticeable in other blink releases

2. Lack of good guitar riffs

3. Cynical should be longer. It's my favorite blink song in forever.

4. Joke songs don't have to be full-length songs but they should still be longer than 20 seconds.

5. Great album but it kind of sounds like blink-182 is trying to sound like bands that are trying to sound like blink-182

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Freestyleskater182 said:

That is actually a great point that I forgot to mention...while Travis does have some standout moments on this record "Like the beginning of No Future."
His drumming is far more forgettable and also more generic typically on the album than anything else in blinks discography.
Travis usually has a way of taking pretty much every song and adding something super special to it, even if its just one particular moment in each song where your like "How the fuck did he play that?"
And being a drummer its super fun to go figure it out...
On this album though there are only a few moments like that unfortunately.
The more generic music called for more generic drumming I guess. 
Don't get me wrong he still kicks ass and plays well as usual...just not as much creativity.

This album is terrible. Seriously my last hope for interesting music coming from these guys is a Boxcar racer reunion.

This album is terrible. Seriously my last hope for interesting music coming from these guys is a Boxcar racer reunion.

Fuck off. A ton of people love this album and it's getting good reviews. Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it terrible. 

1 hour ago, Skibaa said:

Fuck off. A ton of people love this album and it's getting good reviews. Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it terrible. 

But the album is terrible in his opinion. He never said its terrible and everyone should think its terrible. I think its an okay album but I get why people really like it.

6 hours ago, shutup89 said:

The most negative point for me is Home is such a lonely place. I can't stand it. I tried to at least like it a few times, but I just can't. Almost the same with California, but this one is a bit better imo.

Home Is Such A Lonely Place is one of my favorites.  I love how Matt sounds in this song!  Just personal preferences though....

• Like 2

Gang vocals are kind of annoying and na na na na/whoas (makes it seem like they wanna be like all the current pop punk bands)

lack of guitar

Bro - using the best guitar riff on the whole album which in turn ends up being  a waste.

They could've used more songs like The Only Thing That Matters or Shes Out of Her Mind (thats classic blink and thats the kind of pop punk i want from them)

Also the lyrics are shit for the most part, nothing meaningful at all... i mean Neighborhoods had some of the best lyrics in blinks career

on a positive side - its cool seeing Mark get some shine with the bass on songs like The Only Thing That Matters/Rabbit Hole and stuff. Also i will say... even tho this record in most cases sounds like any other current generic pop punk band, they still managed to pull that same style and do it 10 times better... 

14 hours ago, helen_hoppus said:

i have no big problem with cali. the only thing i can say - here's 2 songs that don't make me feel a lot of feelings. i still don't recognize teenage satelites. i still don't understand i like california or not. it's empty songs for me. 

may be, california has a good chorus, "living in the perfect weather, spending time inside together" lines sounds good, but i've got absolutely nothing to say about teenage satelites.

Yeah Teenage Satellites feels like a nothing song to me

I really like California because the song builds perfectly from beginning to end. 

14 hours ago, Shaun said:

Even though I love the a-a-antisocial part, I do agree that the 3rd one in the sequence with the extra harmony on it sounds silly, like if you really pay attention to that harmony, it really makes you realize they're literally just shouting "EH! EH! EH!"

Yeah I love that song but the repeating of that line is kinda weird. I think another word to be said each time would sound better. That song also reminds me a little of Rock Show for some reason

• Like 2