California - Negative Points

madgaz182

1. Cynical was too short, needed a second verse or a bridge into guitar lead part, then another chorus at the end

2. Lyrics in California "Living in the perfect weather, spending time inside together" worst line on the album

3. Overuse of woahs and nas

4. Joke songs could have been developed more, seem too half-assed. Even Happy Holidays you Bastard seemed like he tried to write something clever, Grandpas an Asshole was a full song... The 2 joke songs on California were a waste of potential.

5. Lack of catchy lead guitar riffs, thats what Blink is known for

6. Too much of the same formula (Mark first verse, Matt Second verse) Give matt one or two of his own songs

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Yeah Teenage Satellites feels like a nothing song to me

I really like California because the song builds perfectly from beginning to end. 

Yeah I love that song but the repeating of that line is kinda weird. I think another word to be said each time would sound better. That song also reminds me a little of Rock Show for some reason

Yeah the chorus reminded me of Rock Show on first listen too, mainly the "I'm in deep... She said babe..." - "Fell in love... She said what..."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, plusavablinker said:

I´m starting to skip tracks, also yesterday my sister(who hates blink), enjoyed a few songs I played in my car and told me that they sound good, not a good sign, she told me they sound less agressive... poppier.

Uh oh. Better stop listening to music when your sister enjoys it. Cause obviously that makes a lot of sense.

California has to be blinks worst song, with Sober following close behind. Other than that I love this album. I dont get all the hate on Home. This isn't an album that you can listen to in the dead of winter and still have the same feeling (neighborhoods) this is purely a summer time, fun album. I honestly think Left Alone might be my favorite Blink song of all time. 

California (the song) is a missed opportunity because the lyrics are actually NOT bad. He sets up and undercuts a bunch of "fun in the sun/Hollywood!" California stereotypes as being meaningless and it's actually pretty clever and sarcastic, but the music and melodies he's singing make it sound like a cheesy ode to the things he loves about California if you're not paying close attention. It would've been cool to hear this as a faster more hard hitting song I think:

Beige little boxes in a row
Neighbors and friends that you don’t know
Here’s a fork go wait in line
Can’t you see I’m doing fine
It’s what I’ve always wanted

Two little kids out on the lawn
Once we had love, now it’s gone
Good things haven’t happened yet
I’m empty as a movie set

Hey here’s to you California
Beautiful haze of suburbia
Living in the perfect weather
Spending time inside together

Wearing all black out on the beach
Faces I’ve seen in magazines
Let’s take a walk out on the pier
Watch the shoreline disappear

but that's the point. if you don't pay attention, you may think everything is beautiful. you just see that the weather is always amazing... then you realize that you use up a shitload of drinking water to have a squarefoot of green grass in your backyard, or that you just sit in the house all day, because what the fuck could you do in constant hot summer weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

but that's the point. if you don't pay attention, you may think everything is beautiful. you just see that the weather is always amazing... then you realize that you use up a shitload of drinking water to have a squarefoot of green grass in your backyard, or that you just sit in the house all day, because what the fuck could you do in constant hot summer weather.

True! I just find the melodies and instrumentation boring so it doesn't quite work for me.

California sucks as a song mostly because it's lyrically uninventive, kind of wimpy, and for a song that apparently gave Skiba chills, it's terrifically devoid of passion.  It feels like the one song that they sort of gave up on in some regards.  If Skiba's vocals weren't in this song, it would feel really awkward.  

It doesn't feel like it's appropriately passionate for the title track of the album.  It's another track that feels like Owl City did it first (I do like Owl City, for what that's worth).

13 hours ago, Champ182 said:

California (the song) is a missed opportunity because the lyrics are actually NOT bad. He sets up and undercuts a bunch of "fun in the sun/Hollywood!" California stereotypes as being meaningless and it's actually pretty clever and sarcastic, but the music and melodies he's singing make it sound like a cheesy ode to the things he loves about California if you're not paying close attention. It would've been cool to hear this as a faster more hard hitting song I think:

Beige little boxes in a row
Neighbors and friends that you don’t know
Here’s a fork go wait in line
Can’t you see I’m doing fine

Two little kids out on the lawn
Once we had love, now it’s gone
Good things haven’t happened yet
I’m empty as a movie set

Beautiful haze of suburbia
Living in the perfect weather
Spending time inside together

Wearing all black out on the beach
Faces I’ve seen in magazines
Let’s take a walk out on the pier
Watch the shoreline disappear

Pretty sure its "file" but the idea of randomly giving someone a fork and telling them to get in line did tickle me.

I love California, I really do. I find the sheer negativity for it kind of baffling. 

31 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

Pretty sure its "file" but the idea of randomly giving someone a fork and telling them to get in line did tickle me.

I love California, I really do. I find the sheer negativity for it kind of baffling. 

This.

4 minutes ago, .Nick said:

Don't like the album at all :( but figured I wouldn't to begin with. Had to listen anyway. 

That's too sad.

But I don't believe you. It's impossible to dislike the whole album... at least you should like one of them. They're catchy as fuck!