California or Neighborhood? Which one is better?

elgu

California vs Neighborhoods  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• California
    • Neighborhoods

I like California as a whole more; it's more polished (sometimes too much) and cohesive. Mark also learned how to write lyrics again for this album.

I will say that Neighborhoods has certain songs that sound more like Blink (obviously because of Tom; songs like Even If She Falls and After Midnight). Neighborhoods just has too many throwaway songs because Tom didn't put in the effort to record with the band. It could have easily been a much better, cohesive album. I think if the band recorded together + got a real producer, Neighborhoods would have destroyed California. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Accidentally stumbled onto this thread, what do you all think 2 years later? haha

Stumbled in here too, it actually gives me hope for the Blink community.  

The Feldy haters are a loud minority, the data proves it!

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Aww, the good old days, right before it became "edgy" and fashionable to hate on new stuff

Think people just have a bit more perspective now as the excitement of both albums being new isn't there.

I'd rather listen to Neighborhoods but they both show how weak Blinks output has been since the reunion. 

• Like 3

I like how anytime anyone dislikes something someone else likes they're just being "edgy".

It couldn't possibly be that what you like sucks?! No, it's just that gigantic mass of people being edgy. 

Hey, if you can't hissy fit and delete your way to group think then you can always imply the integrity of the people involved is skewed!  

What a cop out of a response!

30 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I like how anytime anyone dislikes something someone else likes they're just being "edgy".

It couldn't possibly be that what you like sucks?! No, it's just that gigantic mass of people being edgy. 

Hey, if you can't hissy fit and delete your way to group think then you can always imply the integrity of the people involved is skewed!  

What a cop out of a response!

Oh, I see the edgelord himself has made an appearance!

42 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Think people just have a bit more perspective now as the excitement of both albums being new isn't there.

I'd rather listen to Neighborhoods but they both show how weak Blinks output has been since the reunion. 

This. 

Neighborhoods is slightly better in hindsight but they're both not great. 

• Like 1

My original answer on page 2, AKA the day after Cali came out haha:

On 7/2/2016 at 8:19 AM, Champ182 said:

They're pretty close for me. They have almost opposite problems: Neighborhoods was such a muddled and frustrating process, and the lack of a producer REALLY shows, but at times the greatest parts of Blink shine through. California was by all accounts an amazing recording process, but it's so incredibly OVERproduced that it takes away from the songs, but again at times the greatest parts of Blink shine through. They're very very different records, but their problems put them at about the same place for me.

I still stand by that for the most part, but I do think I was blinded by the excitement a little bit, and also didn't know about the extent of the behind the scenes ghostwriting and stuff yet which obviously bugged me. So California has slid quite a bit down below Neighborhoods, it didn't have any staying power for me unfortunately. Neighborhoods had its shitty moments too but the highs are much higher in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2016 at 3:44 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

A few days ago I would have said Neighborhoods without hesitation (see my album ranking thread) but I'm starting to think I might like California more. Give me time. My mind may yet change...

Nah, I still prefer Neighborhoods. By a long shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

Neighborhoods. I just really like Ghost on the Dance Floor.

That song just fucking rules. Probably my favorite of the whole post-reunion era. I was so hyped about it being a possible path forward for the band. I thought it was a great example of Tom's grandiose ideas being reined in and perfected with Mark and Travis's influences. Cool riff, extremely Cure-inspired synth, amazing harmonies, plenty of energy. The lyrics and sound quality could be improved, and I wish the final chorus hit harder somehow, but overall I love it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Best to worst, forget the rest:

1. Natives 

2. Kaleidoscope

3. When I Was Young

4. HAG w/ Interlude

5. Fighting the Gravity

6. GOTDF

7. Dogs Eating Dogs

8. Love Is Dangerous

9. Bored To Death