Marks Horrendous Singing Live.

Live Fast Die Fun

So I searched 6 pages back and didn't see a topic on this so I think I'm safe, I'm confused as to why not though to be honest. I know we all used to ( and everyone in the world used to ) tease Tom and shit talk Tom for his drunken live slurred and forgetting of words live.... But I've been watching all these live videos of blink now, and Mark can barely make it through Bored To Death vocally, he's gotten a LOT worse with his live vocals hands down over the years, it's almost unbearable now, is anyone else hearing this? I mean, he was never AMAZING, but he was definitely the better of the two. Skiba kinda sucks live too. I'm kinda losing interest in the blink show I bought tickets for in Toronto lol.

Anyone else? 

36 minutes ago, Live Fast Die Fun said:

So I searched 6 pages back and didn't see a topic on this so I think I'm safe, I'm confused as to why not though to be honest. I know we all used to ( and everyone in the world used to ) tease Tom and shit talk Tom for his drunken live slurred and forgetting of words live.... But I've been watching all these live videos of blink now, and Mark can barely make it through Bored To Death vocally, he's gotten a LOT worse with his live vocals hands down over the years, it's almost unbearable now, is anyone else hearing this? I mean, he was never AMAZING, but he was definitely the better of the two. Skiba kinda sucks live too. I'm kinda losing interest in the blink show I bought tickets for in Toronto lol.

Anyone else? 

You won't notice when your at the show, everything sounds great in person because it's so loud. But marks getting older and naturally your voice starts to get weaker. There's a reason why Matt is doing all the vocals on the record that requires holding a long note.

• Like 4

Yea I've noticed ?. Seeing them live is exciting and such a thrill that I often don't notice it as much . But watching the live videos will cause anyone to cringe at times. I will say that there are also many times that mark sounds really good . For a casual listener viewing a recent live performance of BTD I would imagine it would make me question the pit tickets I bought lol . I'm stoked to see them still . 

There is a little bit of aging in his voice.   But he is obviously trying which is more than we could have said for Tom.   And he still sounds good to very good on everything but bored to death.  

The acoustic shows he and skiba did they clearly lowered the opening verse and it sounded much better.   Hopefully they adapt it for the tour.   

It's another I have with Feldman is it sounds like there is a lot of Mark singing above his range.   

• Like 1

I feel like it's show to show with Mark.  Some nights he's up there with great vocal energy and some power.  Others he just kinda murmors through songs with his mic on volume 4 or something.  He has a habit of crooning during parts where he should be projecting, and it kills the live vibe pretty badly.

I think it's honestly just kind of a hard song to sing for him. The easiest solution is to just lower it a half or full step which I don't think would hurt the song sounding like the song really. He sounds good on everything else. Also keep in mind that they haven't been playing it very long. But they desperately need to drop it a half step. 

Also - remember... they are punk rock singers... It's always been about the attitude more so than the pitch. If you want perfect vox go listen to one of the dozens of pop bands that have all of their chorus vox on backtracks. 

• Like 2

its because the majority the album is in the key of C or F, which is in his upper range, on all the other albums it was nice because their keys would range all over the place... personally I think he sounds best in A or B. His highest range is D (Adams Song, Apple Shampoo) or sometimes E ("so lost and disillusioned")  however when they would play Adams Song live they would drop it down to C# and he never plays Apple Shampoo

Just for frame of reference. Here are some song keys so you can get the idea of how that effects his voice:

Key of B: Pathetic, Josie, Going Away to College, Lemmings, Party Song, Everytime I look For You, I Miss You

Key of A: Waggy, Online Songs, Rock Show, Rollercoaster, Shut Up, Here's Your Letter, Easy Target

Key of C major / A minor: Dammit (can't sing the whole song through live, why Tom or Matt does the choruses), Go

Typically tom sang the majority or songs in the key of C, D, or E, and mark sang in A and B, they would both sing in B in their back and forth songs. On california they are mostly singing in C, Matt has more of a scream/singing voice when he is singing in C (i.e. Cringe)... maybe they wrote in that key to try and differentiate their voices?

• Like 2

I seriously do not understand why they don't tune down. They played a few songs on TMTATS in different tunings and literally nobody cares. If it helps him sing it better, then why the hell are they not doing it?

Maybe they're just too lazy to create backing tracks that are in a different tuning. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that's the reason.

Fuck the backing tracks.

• Like 3

everyone here knows about my endless love to mark, but i'm forced to admit that mark sometimes sounds bad. bored to death - a pretty disappointing live. as it was already written above, his vocal potential changes from show to show, don't know what's causing it, but this is too noticeable anyway. i would really love to hear them on live show to make a verdict.

my question is why did they write bored to death out of his range? and other songs on the album? he's clearly getting a lot of help from the software on the album, but how did he think he would pull it off live? mark's still the better singer between he and tom, who just went off the deep end vocally at some point between 2002 and 2004. but his voice is just naturally weakening cause let's face it: the man is pretty old lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

my question is why did they write bored to death out of his range? and other songs on the album? he's clearly getting a lot of help from the software on the album, but how did he think he would pull it off live? mark's still the better singer between he and tom, who just went off the deep end vocally at some point between 2002 and 2004. but his voice is just naturally weakening cause let's face it: the man is pretty old lol

easy as fuck. they wont play all these hard songs live. remember, mark only wants to play hit songs.