The Lyrics...

redhotbrianpeppers

disagree. most of the lyrics sound like they have been put together quickly and without much thought. almost like they settled for the first thing that came to their head. beyond this, there is a lack of 'clever' lyrics that have been apparent in all of blink's previous work. overall I probably enjoy about half the lyrics on this album, the other half make me cringe. 

'im a dandelion you're a four leaf clover' - really makes me cringe, which is a shame because I thoroughly enjoy the rest of the song. 

my 2c

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kc-chris said:

disagree. most of the lyrics sound like they have been put together quickly and without much thought. almost like they settled for the first thing that came to their head. beyond this, there is a lack of 'clever' lyrics that have been apparent in all of blink's previous work. overall I probably enjoy about half the lyrics on this album, the other half make me cringe. 

'im a dandelion you're a four leaf clover' - really makes me cringe, which is a shame because I thoroughly enjoy the rest of the song. 

my 2c

haha, sorry, but in my turn i love this line) yes, of course this is not the hight of thought or super literary phrase, but got it's own sense and vibe imo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kc-chris said:

my 2c

I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph, but I actually like that dandelion line.

6 hours ago, kc-chris said:

my 2c

Mark stated in an interview that is a stump line.   

• Like 1

the dandelion like is stump all over and it's really not that clever.

There are some interesting lyrics on the record, my favourite being "Sometimes I feel like I'm the oxygen between the cigarette and gasoline" and I think there's a few others that are kind of good but there are some really cringey ones too.

tbh that makes it on par with every other blink release. some good lyrics, some bland and cliche, and some just downright awkward. (I'm looking at you Tom and your ferris wheel full of blue green eyes nonsense) 

• Like 2

the thing i like about blink lyrics is that they're always super simple, but still heartfelt and poetic

i think a lot my appreciation from them comes with time. i'm sure in a couple years the cali lyrics will be just as quotable as their older shit

that said, i do wish feldmann gave them more time to contemplate them. some are a littleeeeeeee underdeveloped

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blink182life-4life said:

Mark stated in an interview that is a stump line.   

regardless of who actually wrote what lines, I find it hard to believe that a group of 4+ men aren't able to brainstorm some better alternatives to some of the lines we got on the album. as I said, a lot of the lyrics sound like the first thing that have come to their head and they've just stuck with it. this method works fine when you've got plenty of inspiration, but if you've got writers block then it just sounds stupid. 

its no secret that Feldman hurried the writing process, but some of blinks best lyrics have come after putting a lot of effort in. 2 prime examples are Stockholm syndrome and not now. there are videos from the untitled recording sessions where mark has a rough demo of a verse in SS, and likewise with Tom and the demo chorus of NN. both begin with pretty average/unorganised lyrics, but the final product for both is awesome. 

• Like 4

At least 90% of blink's discography is composed of songs that aren't anything special lyrically.

The point was to step back and do something fun, lighthearted, and awesome. I think the lyrics work perfect for the mood of the album. Nothing complicated, just fun.

I approve.

There can always be another album that gets deeper or darker for you guys. This is a new beginning here. Just enjoy it

1 hour ago, kc-chris said:

regardless of who actually wrote what lines, I find it hard to believe that a group of 4+ men aren't able to brainstorm some better alternatives to some of the lines we got on the album. as I said, a lot of the lyrics sound like the first thing that have come to their head and they've just stuck with it. this method works fine when you've got plenty of inspiration, but if you've got writers block then it just sounds stupid. 

its no secret that Feldman hurried the writing process, but some of blinks best lyrics have come after putting a lot of effort in. 2 prime examples are Stockholm syndrome and not now. there are videos from the untitled recording sessions where mark has a rough demo of a verse in SS, and likewise with Tom and the demo chorus of NN. both begin with pretty average/unorganised lyrics, but the final product for both is awesome. 

Agree with all of this.   Its even more egregious because we've seen mark has the ability to do both and execute them at a much higher level.   

Deep lyrics with meaning.   Or fun light songs with clever lyrics.   

California has neither in abundance 

• Like 3