Jump to content
 
Sign in to follow this  
WPGBlink

Blink-182 Vinyl Thread

Recommended Posts

Thanks for all ur responses and time boxelder. Its really helped catch me up to speed, and hopefully others that read this too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my original BCR sounds pretty good. not amazing but not as bad as the +44 one, which has to be the worst sounding record i own.

does anyone know how the SRC pressing of we don't need to whisper sounds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super stoked for the different colors of +44, and high quality packaging, but definitely not pre-ordering them. SRC can take forever, I would recommend just waiting until they actually come out to purchase.

 

Also, if anyone has been looking for Short Bus, keep an eye on this one on eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even close to a vinyl aficionado, but I do love listening to records and adding to my collection. But am I wrong in thinking that Blink/+44 albums don't really have any reason to be owned and played on vinyl? When they were produced the music was obviously being made to sound good on CD/radio, while older records from before Blink's time sound great on vinyl because the sound was meant to be heard that way. There's a chance that is all just in my head haha but I've just never felt the need to listen to pop punk type stuff on vinyl, am I missing out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

music can be mastered for any format just like movies can be finished for theatrical projection or home viewing on a tv. it doesn't matter what year it was made or what the norm was.

in the grand scheme of things, it's all subjective. i'd say there are equally good arguments for both sides. so, it comes down to preference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

But am I wrong in thinking that Blink/+44 albums don't really have any reason to be owned and played on vinyl?

Someone else can chime in from a technical perspective, I am definitely not an audiophile and have a super cheap set-up - so amazing/different quality isn't why I buy them personally.

I buy them simply because I like the huge album art/colored records, and it's just neat to throw on a Blink record and feel old school about it. I also enjoy how it pretty much forces you to listen to the entire album in order, which is refreshing at times. This also makes me be quite picky on what albums I will buy on vinyl, as they need to be pretty special front to back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

But am I wrong in thinking that Blink/+44 albums don't really have any reason to be owned and played on vinyl?

owning music on vinyl is not about owning the music in better quality. vinyl is just a collector thing, it's the most durable physical format on the consumer side. your cassettes, cds, hard drives, streaming providers (and all those player devices or digital formats) probably become unusable/obsolete earlier than vinyl (also record players are very simple, futureproof devices), so if you are a music collector, vinyl is your definitive choice, because you definitely want a format that lasts longer than others.

there's no other rational reason to put digitally made recordings on analog media, it will not be better quality than the flac files you can have on your computer (or through a streaming service).

anyway, i'm not into collecting music, this music collection-building hype looks a bit dumb to me. like every other person want to own a private museum. i mean, in the end the most beloved collections will be trash, just like everything else you own. :) it's better to use your belongings than just owning them. and this is the problem with vinyl: collectors own them because of the futureproof aspect, but most of them listen to music from itunes/spotify (or any other instant media service) because these are far more usable at the moment. and as long as we won't end up in a post-apocalyptic world, these services will always be there to be better alternatives for everyday usage. so millions of vinyl collections will never be used at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

owning music on vinyl is not about owning the music in better quality. vinyl is just a collector thing, it's the most durable physical format on the consumer side. your cassettes, cds, hard drives, streaming providers (and all those player devices or digital formats) probably become unusable/obsolete earlier than vinyl (also record players are very simple, futureproof devices), so if you are a music collector, vinyl is your definitive choice, because you definitely want a format that lasts longer than others.

there's no other rational reason to put digitally made recordings on analog media, it will not be better quality than the flac files you can have on your computer (or through a streaming service).

anyway, i'm not into collecting music, this music collection-building hype looks a bit dumb to me. like every other person want to own a private museum. i mean, in the end the most beloved collections will be trash, just like everything else you own. :) it's better to use your belongings than just owning them. and this is the problem with vinyl: collectors own them because of the futureproof aspect, but most of them listen to music from itunes/spotify (or any other instant media service) because these are far more usable at the moment. and as long as we won't end up in a post-apocalyptic world, these services will always be there to be better alternatives for everyday usage. so millions of vinyl collections will never be used at all.

Yeah, pretty much this. I agree.

A crappy digital recording, with crappy EQ and mastering, ain't gonna sound better in vinyl. This is the big scam that the industry made back when CD was pushed, but 'in reverse'. People was getting the same masters in different format, so it was going to sound the same, excet if you had a crappy vinyl player.

So to put an album on vinyl makes more much sense when the whole recording process has been made in a certain way, and that's not only to be recorded using analog equipment -which, of course, is an added value if you want to make a really good sounding record, just because the way music is 'stored' originally on a tape through analog equipment, versus how the sound is converted and stored on digital format-. Yet, you can use digital equipment and get a really good sounding album, being correct in terms of dynamics and sound treatment. Then, vinyl makes sense too.

For the +44 reissue, the album is going to be remastered (or has been), so we can expect an improvement if it's made in those audiophile terms they are claiming. You can expect deeper, fuller sound, more dynamic and detailled. Less compression and less problems on the top ends. Not brickwalled and peaked all over.

I would love to have those remastered records in FLAC/WAV via HDTRACKS, but they are not doing it, which is a shame, IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin. said:

 

does anyone know how the SRC pressing of we don't need to whisper sounds? 

Im usually a big fan of the src vinyls, but i dislike the wdntw pressing. It justs sound off to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owning an album that was done on computer on vinyl makes only sense for collectors. The main reason the songs have to be remastered is for the physical disaevantages of vinyl. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i understand the points being made when speaking about digitally recorded albums being pressed on vinyl. but i don't buy them for the purpose of "collecting." as i mentioned before, this is all personal preference for listening.

i like to compare this to film a lot because it's the industry i work in and understand the most. there are a lot of films that are captured digitally that often get recorded out on to film when they're complete. usually, it's for archival reasons; however, many filmmakers do it so their work can be projected on film in theaters for limited screenings. this happened with Netflix's 'Roma.'

but just because it was filmed digitally, confined by various means of compression, does not mean they aren't achieving a certain aesthetic when doing the film-out. they're getting grain that wasn't there before and an overall more "dreamlike" quality that accompanies the film projection. i'd like to think something similar is achieved with vinyl. it usually sounds deeper and occasionally you get some dust pops that add some sort of character to the experience.

like i said, all of these things have to be treated a certain way according the format in which it is being delivered. as long as someone is paying for these things to be done properly, i do believe something is being gained for those who prefer the format.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just enjoy the procedure of putting a vinyl on, cleaning it, sitting on the couch and just listen throught the damn thing without doing anything else. The experience tricks my brain into thinking theres some kind of magic to it, but in fact its just a much more focused listening

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kevin. said:

i understand the points being made when speaking about digitally recorded albums being pressed on vinyl. but i don't buy them for the purpose of "collecting." as i mentioned before, this is all personal preference for listening.

i like to compare this to film a lot because it's the industry i work in and understand the most. there are a lot of films that are captured digitally that often get recorded out on to film when they're complete. usually, it's for archival reasons; however, many filmmakers do it so their work can be projected on film in theaters for limited screenings. this happened with Netflix's 'Roma.'

but just because it was filmed digitally, confined by various means of compression, does not mean they aren't achieving a certain aesthetic when doing the film-out. they're getting grain that wasn't there before and an overall more "dreamlike" quality that accompanies the film projection. i'd like to think something similar is achieved with vinyl. it usually sounds deeper and occasionally you get some dust pops that add some sort of character to the experience.

like i said, all of these things have to be treated a certain way according the format in which it is being delivered. as long as someone is paying for these things to be done properly, i do believe something is being gained for those who prefer the format.

 

Yeah, I get that. But I don't think vinyl adds anything when the master comes in a cetain way. Maybe, you have a proper EQ module set up which may modify the sound in a certain way -and this will depend on how 'quiet' the master is-, and maybe, if you play that same album on CD using a less quality CD player is what makes you feel that way. The hiss, pop and needle feel is a layer that, well... may work just for the placebo effect, but the master you're hearing is the same if it hasn't been done differently for CD and vinyl. I get what you say, though. But a crappy master is not gonna be saved by pressing it on vinyl (and depending on the vinyl weight). In fact, I'd say that if you have a good sound system, all the 'flaws' in mastering will pop up more evident. At least, that's my experience. Your final sentence sums it up really well.

But...:

10 hours ago, Neal said:

I just enjoy the procedure of putting a vinyl on, cleaning it, sitting on the couch and just listen throught the damn thing without doing anything else. The experience tricks my brain into thinking theres some kind of magic to it, but in fact its just a much more focused listening

Yes. I get this too. Totally agree. There's nothing like taking your time in that 'ceremony', instead of having the thing on your mobile phone on spotify. It's a whole different world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like buying vinyl just for the purpose of owning my truly favorite albums front to back in a cool over the top version.  from the packaging to a cool colored pressing etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just got the new vinyl pressing of WYHSB in the mail today and it blows the shitty hot topic one from like nine years ago out of the water. it's not a surprise but it's worth the upgrade.

still not thrilled with SRC, though. took forever to get pressed and ship. some of their releases sound kinda weird (WDNTW) but this one is good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to pick them both up ASAP,  just waiting on a 15% off deal or something. Never pre-order from SRC, it always takes forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...