Lmfao... Taylor Swift got exposed. I fucking knew it.

Aria

2 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Well I don't think Kyle is being real about taking issue with the word retard(ed), Patient probably is though.  Don't understand it myself, we all know what we mean when we use that word and 99.9% of the time it is never being used as an insult to actually mentally challenged people.  The people that actually do take issue with such a word need to just settle down and realize that words change and evolve with time, and just about none of us are hating on those with mental disabilities. 

As is the case with all slurs, you don't get to decide that it's no longer offensive unless you belong to the group it was originally meant to insult. If you can't understand that, then you aren't thinking critically, but don't call yourself that word, okay?

4 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

As is the case with all slurs, you don't get to decide that it's no longer offensive unless you belong to the group t was originally meant to insult. If you can't understand that, then you aren't thinking critically, but don't call yourself that word, okay?

Well my nephew is mentally challenged, and he's told me that he doesn't think of it as an insult (no one has ever called him that), and he uses it himself to make fun of his buddies from time to time when they're being ignorant or whatever (he's a cool dude for sure).

You know how you take away power from words and slurs?  You stop giving them power.  Retard is absolutely a word that doesn't have the power it once had and most people recognize that, maybe things are different in Canada?

That's cool for him and it's fine if he wants to use it, but you can't decide based on one example. Like, there are black people who think everyone can use the "n" word as they like and there are gay men who don't care about other people saying "fag", but that's a conversation for them to have among themselves and it's not for outsiders to decide for them or take one person who's okay with it and assume it's fine all around.

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

That's cool for him and it's fine if he wants to use it, but you can't decide based on one example. Like, there are black people who think everyone can use the "n" word as they like and there are gay men who don't care about other people saying "fag", but that's a conversation for them to have among themselves and it's not for outsiders to decide for them or take one person who's okay with it and assume it's fine all around.

Well I appreciate you trying to tell me how to think and feel and how to use a word.  But retard is not like the N word, it was at one time, but it hasn't been for a long time.  The power that word once held is not there anymore.  Have you seriously ever seen someone that is mentally challenged been called a retard?  Probably not, because it simply doesn't happen anymore, my nephew is living proof.

18 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Why wasn't it PC policing when Ghent was calling Kanye's lyrics misogynistic?

Also, how come you disappeared from the Kate's law thread?

I'm not making a claim. Kanye's lyrics ARE misogynistic. just read them lol

EDIT: More sexist and flat out terrible than misogynist, but still

Careless whispers, eye fuckin', bitin' ass
Neck, ears, hair, legs, eating ass
Your pussy's too good, I need to crash
Your titties, let 'em out, free at last
Thank God almighty, they free at last
We was up at the party but we was leavin' fast
Had to stop at 7-Eleven like I needed gas (Ouh)
I'm lyin', I needed condoms, don't look through the glass
Chasin' love, all the bittersweet hours lost
Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce
Tell your boss you need an extra hour off
Get you super wet after we turn the shower off

6 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Well I appreciate you trying to tell me how to think and feel and how to use a word.  But retard is not like the N word, it was at one time, but it hasn't been for a long time.  The power that word once held is not there anymore.  Have you seriously ever seen someone that is mentally challenged been called a retard?  Probably not, because it simply doesn't happen anymore, my nephew is living proof.

I haven't heard it used that way much, but it has happened. I mean, if you don't think the reason the word "retarded" packs a punch is because of the direct comparison to mentally challenged people, then I think you're in denial and just don't want to admit that because it would mean having to think critically about a word you throw around casually.

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I'm not making a claim. Kanye's lyrics ARE misogynistic. just read them lol

I don't disagree with you, I was just pointing out Oliver's weird bias.

3 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I haven't heard it used that way much, but it has happened. I mean, if you don't think the reason the word "retarded" packs a punch is because of the direct comparison to mentally challenged people, then I think you're in denial and just don't want to admit that because it would mean having to think critically about a word you throw around casually.

I don't disagree with you, I was just pointing out Oliver's weird bias.

Look, you can either needlessly get mad, take offense and think that I mean something awful when I use that word.  Or just think for even a second and know that I mean no real harm when I use that word.  Your call, but I'm going to keep using that word as I've always have knowing full well I mean no harm regardless. 

You just can't look at rap lyrics and think of them like you would of other types of writing. Misogynistic, sexist, whatever lyrics happen all the time, it's become acceptable. As I said, Taylor uses this ignorance of people offended by "bitch" to try to have people remain on her side. And it's clearly not working, people aren't that stupid.

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

I fully admit to being an asshole, but I'm not a shithead, so you'd be wrong there.

I'm so offended!  My asshole is a precious thing not to be made fun of, as is my shit head.  Think I'm gonna go cry in a corner now. 

28 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

can we do this whenever you cry and moan about somebody "personally attacking" you?

That is not the same thing at all. I am not condoning personal attacks, I am saying it is PC to go after the word "retarded"

28 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Why wasn't it PC policing when Ghent was calling Kanye's lyrics misogynistic?

Also, how come you disappeared from the Kate's law thread?

Question 1: Because for once I agree with Ghent, calling her a bitch and saying he could have sex with her is clearly misogynistic. Use of the word "retarded" as Mike meant it, is not an attack on mentally disabled people.

Question 2: It got voted down, again, and If I remained in that topic, I would have blown a gasket, it wouldn't have been pretty.

1 minute ago, Olidamus said:

Question 1: Because for once I agree with Ghent, calling her a bitch and saying he could have sex with her is clearly misogynistic. Use of the word "retarded" as Mike meant it, is not an attack on mentally disabled people.

Is it still misogynistic if she clearly says "it's like a compliment kind of"?

Here's my question: Did the people defending Taylor even watch the videos Kim posted?

Just now, Olidamus said:

So, someone's only being PC police if you disagree with them? I mean, there was a time when Kanye's lyrics wouldn't have been considered sexist by most people and anyone claiming it was sexist would have been laughed at.

3 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Question 2: It got voted down, again, and If I remained in that topic, I would have blown a gasket, it wouldn't have been pretty.

When you inevitably bring it up again, just remember that drug crimes aren't considered violent according to any reputable sources.

• Like 1