Skiba >>> Delonge

Scott.

On July 23, 2016 at 4:41 PM, GrimCityGirl said:

Il miss it but blink-182 are a band, not a comedy act. their shows, like every other band, are about the music not the banter. it's a nice part of it, but I'd much rather *this* than Tom telling dick jokes and sounding like a dying cat on stage.

I agree. It is much more entertaining when Tom and Mark are together because of their chemistry, but even that was starting to disappear in more recent years, just like Tom's brain cells. And they're a band, overall their main job is to play music and that should be the most important part. 

I've got to preface this by saying when I heard blink were carrying on without Tom I pretty much washed my hands of them and dismissed that it was the same band.

I still kind of feel that way, but I have to say I really like California. blink-182 were the first band i ever really got into and the mark-tom-travis dynamic was the band for me, but it's clear that Tom's heart wasn't in it anymore, and California sounds more like the band I fell in love with. Even so, I get the explanation behind the thread title, but anyone who actually believes Skiba > Delonge is not a blink fan in my eyes and I find it disrespectful. In terms of live vocal performance then yeah probably, but I've never gone to a blink show for the vocal performance.

I'm not really sure that I have an overall point of this post, but I'll try to sum it up by saying Matt Skiba has proved himself to me as a worthy blink member, but please let's not go overboard by saying he's better than Tom.

10 hours ago, timmah23 said:

I've got to preface this by saying when I heard blink were carrying on without Tom I pretty much washed my hands of them and dismissed that it was the same band.

I still kind of feel that way, but I have to say I really like California. blink-182 were the first band i ever really got into and the mark-tom-travis dynamic was the band for me, but it's clear that Tom's heart wasn't in it anymore, and California sounds more like the band I fell in love with. Even so, I get the explanation behind the thread title, but anyone who actually believes Skiba > Delonge is not a blink fan in my eyes and I find it disrespectful. In terms of live vocal performance then yeah probably, but I've never gone to a blink show for the vocal performance.

I'm not really sure that I have an overall point of this post, but I'll try to sum it up by saying Matt Skiba has proved himself to me as a worthy blink member, but please let's not go overboard by saying he's better than Tom.

TLDR: Don't say anyone is better than Tom, vocals aren't even important to music.

• Like 1

Let's be real, Tom can't sing, he's terrible at that part of his job, and he always has been, but at least from 2001 and earlier, he sounded decent.  He does have a unique voice, I'll say that, and when you have unlimited takes and pro tools at your disposal, it isn't hard to see how on albums he sounds pretty good.  Skiba may not be the best singer in the world, but he definitely sounds the best between himself, Tom, and even Mark.  It's a shame that on California there aren't many examples of Skiba's Alkaline Trio voice coming through, though there are moments where you can recognize it, especially in No Future, I hope we hear more of that side of Skiba in future releases, and I hope he just keeps on nailing it at the live shows.  There are certain things when it comes to guitar that I do miss from Tom at the live shows, how they would end songs like I Miss You and Down with what Tom would do with the guitar was actually really cool and I do miss that, but all in all Skiba is obviously the better musician overall especially when it comes to live performances. 

• Like 1

I very honestly never cared much about the banter.  I did love Mark giving Tom shit for AaA in 2009 at the Milwaukee show I went to, and then Tom trying to make fun of Mark only for Mark to throw it right back at Tom's face, that was glorious and felt very genuine, but there weren't many other examples like that after the reunion, and honestly I like how Mark and Matt talk to each other at the live shows.  They don't seem like they're trying to make jokes so much, but they seem to be really genuine with themselves and I find that very refreshing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M!ke said:

I very honestly never cared much about the banter.  I did love Mark giving Tom shit for AaA in 2009 at the Milwaukee show I went to, and then Tom trying to make fun of Mark only for Mark to throw it right back at Tom's face, that was glorious and felt very genuine, but there weren't many other examples like that after the reunion, and honestly I like how Mark and Matt talk to each other at the live shows.  They don't seem like they're trying to make jokes so much, but they seem to be really genuine with themselves and I find that very refreshing.

*AVA

Sucks tom turned into such a chode. Listening to elevator right now, easily could have led blink in a bcr direction, or blended its elements with marks happier outlook and been making awesome records since. But nope, we got what we got and it sucks lol

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2016 at 10:50 PM, NJanSaid said:

Tom's a better writer on guitar historically but a significantly less of a live performer in 2005-2016

In 2016 they're probably both about equal at writing guitar. I haven't heard a good new Tom riff in some days.

In 2000 they probably were both equal live performers, Tom's energy was great then.

Historically and today there about equal at vocal writing.

Math makes Skibba an easy choice for ever since 2005 and on.

Whoah

On 7/23/2016 at 6:30 PM, Scott. said:

Never been a huge Alk Trio or Skiba fan but he fucking destroys Tom. They actually sound good live now.

I never want Tom back.

To be fair Skiba has some energy here and sounds pretty good as well, what the fuck happened? 

His creativity being stifled and not being allowed to have an influence on the bands sound has sucked the life out of him? my theory on it anyway #fanfiction

• Like 1