Stranger Things

Scott.

^I do love that song. Well, despite my older brother going through his first big break up and having that song on repeat for like a week.

Ghent, if I sell you my vintage Hootie and the Blowfish cap, will you calm the fuck down?

4 episodes in and I think this show is pretty great! I think they do a really nice job of transitioning from storyline to storyline--there's so much going on in each episode, but none of the storylines feel rushed or forced. 

I also like that the references to 80s culture don't bog down the story too much. Based on what people were telling me I thought it was going to be unbearable lol. I'm seeing plenty of Stephen King influence too, but not so much that the story feels unoriginal. Even though the supernatural/horror genre can be suspect to cliches and tropes, once you get over that, it can be pretty fun! Especially when you have talented child actors on the screen. ;D

Binged the first 5 episodes last night.  Gonna watch the other 3 after work tonight.  This show is fucking awesome, I don't have much else to say beyond that, it's the shit, any Spielberg (80s-90s era) or Stephen King fan should absolutely check out this series.

• Like 3

Its amazing that this series was rejected 15 to 20 times by other networks before Netflix saw what they were pitching and gave it the go-ahead (source:http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/stranger-things-creators-on-making-summers-biggest-tv-hit-w431735http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/stranger-things-creators-on-making-summers-biggest-tv-hit-w431735

I think this says a lot about the state of "traditional" television compared to what the online outlets like Netflix are doing.  Frankly, of all the original programming I've seen on Netflix, there hasn't been one series that wasn't great (with exception to Fuller House).  They are probably overall consistently distributing the best new original programs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Its amazing that this series was rejected 15 to 20 times by other networks before Netflix saw what they were pitching and gave it the go-ahead (source:http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/stranger-things-creators-on-making-summers-biggest-tv-hit-w431735http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/stranger-things-creators-on-making-summers-biggest-tv-hit-w431735

I think this says a lot about the state of "traditional" television compared to what the online outlets like Netflix are doing.  Frankly, of all the original programming I've seen on Netflix, there hasn't been one series that wasn't great (with exception to Fuller House).  They are probably overall consistently distributing the best new original programs.

I'm assuming they wouldn't be able to make ST 20 times a year for 5 years. Maybe it just works better in the Netflix show cycle.

36 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'm assuming they wouldn't be able to make ST 20 times a year for 5 years. Maybe it just works better in the Netflix show cycle.

I read what @M!ke posted on Reddit a month or so ago and it was largely because the networks didn't think the show would appeal to a big enough audience. They didn't think a show centred around children with adult themes would appeal to adults nor children. They wanted either children + childish plot line or adults + adult plot line. 

Also M!ke, Netflix has plenty of garbage original content. Mainly half-assed comedy series though, in my experiences.