The Pursuit Of Tone: Tom Doc

Lauren

1 hour ago, knapton said:

tom_kyt_29.jpg

So this is the original box car guitar.  Compare this to the one in these new videos.  To most people it would look exactly the same.  Its not.  His new one is deliberatly done to look like this but ive spotted the differences!.  The old one (pictured) has a solid, not see through paintjob.  In the new one, you can see the wood grain.  In the old one, it has a seymour duncan invader (same as his fender). You can see where it says seymour duncan and you can tell just by the allen bolts. His new one is the dirty fingers (used in his sig gibson).  You could just say he switched them out, but theres more ways to tell its different!  Where the used sticker is right next to the over my dead body sticker, in the old one theres a small space between the two.  If you pause the video when its showing the new guitar, you can see the two stickers are touching.  Also on the new guitar, the O in over (over my dead body) is folded over the edge of the guitar, the old one isnt.  Here is the video again for reference.  Skip to about 55 seconds

This goes to show just how much Tom wants to manipulate how people think of him.  Someone went to a lot of effort to find the exact stickers and put them in almost the identical place as the original.  Why? Its obvious they are different guitars.  Just makes him look bad imo

Ahh... maybe when he was taking the other stickers off he started to pull this one off then decided against it? You can tell that it was touched as its creased now. I really don't think that he purposely "remade this guitar".

2 hours ago, knapton said:

tom_kyt_29.jpg

So this is the original box car guitar.  Compare this to the one in these new videos.  To most people it would look exactly the same.  Its not.  His new one is deliberatly done to look like this but ive spotted the differences!.  The old one (pictured) has a solid, not see through paintjob.  In the new one, you can see the wood grain.  In the old one, it has a seymour duncan invader (same as his fender). You can see where it says seymour duncan and you can tell just by the allen bolts. His new one is the dirty fingers (used in his sig gibson).  You could just say he switched them out, but theres more ways to tell its different!  Where the used sticker is right next to the over my dead body sticker, in the old one theres a small space between the two.  If you pause the video when its showing the new guitar, you can see the two stickers are touching.  Also on the new guitar, the O in over (over my dead body) is folded over the edge of the guitar, the old one isnt.  Here is the video again for reference.  Skip to about 55 seconds

This goes to show just how much Tom wants to manipulate how people think of him.  Someone went to a lot of effort to find the exact stickers and put them in almost the identical place as the original.  Why? Its obvious they are different guitars.  Just makes him look bad imo

I noticed this right off the bat too. I'm ocd especially when it comes to instruments lol. That is really lame, as well as him explaining that he used his signature fender before enema 

3 hours ago, One Eight Two said:

Mark and Matt use sims too.

Yep. Most bigger acts are using Kempers now. It's slightly different from plugging into pro tools and using Guitar Rig as it actually can capture the wave forms of real guitar tones and replicate them. Although Kempers have somewhat of a distinct sound to them the difference between a kemper and a real amp is hardly audible and they just sound really great. A lot of people even use them on records now. The great advantage is in blinks case if they wanted to they could actually use the exact tones from every single song on every single record live... or capture the sound of their favorite tone in the studio and bring that on the road with them. Think of it as a different way to get from A to B rather than a cheap alternative to mic'ing real guitar cabs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Action said:

Yep. Most bigger acts are using Kempers now. It's slightly different from plugging into pro tools and using Guitar Rig as it actually can capture the wave forms of real guitar tones and replicate them. Although Kempers have somewhat of a distinct sound to them the difference between a kemper and a real amp is hardly audible and they just really great. A lot of people even use them on records now. The great advantage is in blinks case if they wanted to they could actually use the exact tones from every single song on every single record live... or capture the sound of their favorite tone in the studio and bring that on the road with them. Think of it as a different way to get from A to B rather than a cheap alternative to mic'ing real guitar cabs. 

Love my Kemper

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, boxelder said:

he's told those stories before, years ago too. but great work @knapton, that's crazy that he would go to such lengths to recreate a guitar he once had lol

I just knew it wasnt the same guitar so i had to make sure. The one in the video looks brand new too. Doesnt look like its been played live a bunch at all

Why the hell do you care if it isn't the actual guitar he used, if he sold the real one he probably had them do a replica for the sake of the documentary. He doesn't care, he's a millionaire. It's coffee money for him.

Also: To you guys that questions his stories just because you haven't heard him tell them before; you don't think he has gained some stories over the last 20ish years? Just be glad that he's actually did a documentary that has some cool stories and gear talk and that shit instead of talking about aliens and changing the world.

Some of you guys is trying real hard to find something to bash him for. 

• Like 1